Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Recently changed the brake fluid on the 1050ST using a vacuum bleed tool but I found it a PITA to top up the fluid due to the location of the reservoir below the starter solenoid.
Is there an easy way of pouring brake fluid into the back brake reservoir without making a mess?
I tried pouring from the bottle
I tried using a tube attached to the bottle top
I tried a syringe, only thing I haven't tried is a turkey baster

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Did you try the syringe with the tubing on it? That sounds like the perfect solution for mine, but I have a 955. (Well, three 955s. And I just did them all using a bottle a little over half full because less than about half full and you can't use it; Fortunately, I have a big bottle of the stuff to refill the regular one from.)

Sorry if that's no help with the 1050.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kit I didn't try the tube/syringe method, just the bottle with the top adapted for the tube.
To reach the reservoir top on the ST1050 you lift the seat, pull up the starter solenoid from its rubber mount and pull it to one side, & the reservoir is in the gap below the solenoid. You can actually see the body of it on the right side next to the frame rail / link pipe

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do it like Kit. You can get a Mixmaster syringe at Walmart in automotive section. It is for mixing 2 stroke oil with gas. A good tool because you can control the flow and can suck fluid out as easily as adding. You can also reverse bleed brakes with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You need to use tubing. You can use zip ties or a wire wrap from a bread bag to position it giving you a free hand. I got some real nice softer tubing that seals onto the bleeder screws perfect. Iti was part of a brake bleeder kit with a bag for fluid. I've made such a mess in the past I spend more time setting the proper tools up than I do doing the actual work any more. Fiddling with that stuff is simple as pie if you have the right things to do the job. Otherwize I'm back in 1974 adjusting my carb with a discarded butter knife and trying to force SAE wrenches on Whitworth nuts wondering why everything rounds off or won't fit and setting points with a matchbook cover wondering what sort of tool the last owner used to mess up the screw heads so bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts