Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally figured it out. When I was a kid my dad bought me a BMX bike. It was a Panasonic bike, believe it or not, and it was way cooler than the mongooses (mongeese?) or diamondbacks that were the most popular.

I "modded" it by screwing with the brakes and it cost me a ton of skinned knees.. There was one "mod" I made that I now believe is the reason I'm still riding today..

One of these:

You put it on your bicycle's handlebars, and as you twisted the "throttle" it made motorcycle-ish noises. I loved it and had not thought of it for years. anyone else have one? I also had the Evel Knievel "stunt cycle" but you can't "rev" that when you're riding with your friends!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I never had one of those, but I did tie balloons to the rear brace so that they would rub against the spokes and make a putting noise. That sounded much more realistic than playing cards, although the balloons tended not to last very long. Putt, Putt, Putt Boom! Just like a real bike backfiring.;)

Your device looks more practical.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
We put poker playing cards
on our bicycles in a way to hit
the spokes as the wheel turned...
sounded almost as sweet as our
Triumph twins...

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I had this stupid a$$ looking thing...:eek:...although that "rev" thing in the OP probably would have made it alot cooler...:D:D

The Huffy Silver Thunder...not so good at doing jumps and tricks...so I ended up taking the "tank" off and putting a regular seat on it...

So it ended up looking something like this...still not so good for jumping and doing tricks...

So I finally got a proper DG BMX bike with mag wheels even...:D...

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Could it have been something to do with all the smoke pouring out your rear end?:D

{HiDesert used to ride around making unnecessary quote deletion noises... no, wait, he still does!}

·
Registered
231 Posts
i just used to ride around making two stroke noises ( orally) , people used to look at me strange .........well I was 26 but still :p
I bet you were the inspiration for crazy frog! Sue the idea stealing git...
ding ding ding ding bim bim bim:Chopper

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
I had this stupid a$$ looking thing...:eek:...although that "rev" thing in the OP probably would have made it alot cooler...:D:D

So it ended up looking something like this...still not so good for jumping and doing tricks...

I would have given my right arm to have owned something like that, when I was a kid, but we were poor.

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
You call that poor?

We were so poor we had to dig our beds in solid rock with the charred ends of bones we'd thrown in the fire to soften after using them to dig in dry river beds trying to find water all day.

Food? We only got one crumb on Christmas Day - on every tenth year. Now, that was poor. :D

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
My love of bicycles surely inspired my love of motorcycles. I learned to ride on a neighbor's 2-wheeler when I was 4. My dad bought me a used Rambler 20 inch bike that must have weighed 60 pounds. I rode that thing everywhere until I got a 26 inch bike for Christmas when I was 10. Talk about a freedom machine! It was much faster than the Scwhinn Stingray type bikes that were the most popular machines of the day. It was geared fairly high, but I learned to suck it in and climb hills on it without pussing out and walking it.

When I was 13 I bought myself a 10 speed bike and it was another giant leap in speed and freedom. It was about 40 pounds, which was heavy but pretty typical of the inexpensive 10-speeds of the era. I rode it many, many miles and as fast as I could.

When I was 19 I bought a Manufrance 10-speed racing bike that weighed in at 25 pounds. I rode it for more years and more miles than the rest of the bikes put together. Shortly after getting it I bought my first motorcycle, a 1970 BSA 441 Victor. I rode that thing a lot farther than I had any business, and within two years it was toast, the engine disintigrating at 75 mph on the interstate between St. Louis and Chicago. I quickly replaced it with a very rough '70 Bonneville chopper which I still have (this was in 1978).

In 2000 I traded the Manufrance in on a 24-speed LeMond road bike which I ride the piss out of every chance I get. Last October I picked up a 2010 Thunderbird. Life is good on two wheels.:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts