Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if a rear 98 Legend fender will fit a 99 TBS. Picture looks the same, but like to know for sure before dropping my hard earned cash.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
No, I'm sure the fitting is different, my friend's had this situation after a drop on his TBS.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done a little checking

I checked the part numbers between the Legend and TBS rear fender on Bike Bandit and World of Triumph. Only the last two digits differ, I hope for the color choices. The parts schematic looks identical. The fender is on the way and wasn't to hard on the wallet, so we will see. It is going to get introduced to the cut wheel anyway, so nothing ventured, nothing gained. BTW, anybody found a close match in Dupli-Color or any rattle can paint brand for Triumph Racing Yellow? Factory matched paint prices are just outragous.....

·
Registered
980 Posts
All years and types are interchangeable. The Sport version is a little shorter.
What you do need are the correct indicator brackets for the sub frame.
The plastic section on the sport has the fitting to attach the shock res. the standard does not.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just FYI

The fender arrived from Pinwall Cycle Parts Inc. who trades on Ebay (good company and fast shippers). Fender is identical expect for the plastic section and jaguartvr is correct, the TBS does have a holder molded in for the shock reservoir. The plastic is secured with four rivets and easily removed. I got the dremel out and performed surgery this afternoon. I am still thinking about what I am going to do for turn signals, taillight will be an old style Lucas repro. I will be keeping the stock set up as a complete unit if I want to back. I am attaching a couple of shots in case anybody else is thinking about the bobbed rear look instead of complete elimination. I still need to do final shaping, ding repair and paint with Racing Yellow when I can find a match.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You need to hammer flat the raised holes and then fill all the holes. Otherwise they show because the Lucas light won't cover them properly. People do fit the light on the mudguard without doing this but it just looks a bit of a bodge, I don't care what they say. If you're going to do it do it right.

If you cut the fender a little lower to keep the lower fitting hole for the indicator bracket you have the option of using the original brackets. I supply my short rear fenders with this hole un drilled so that the customer can choose his own way of mounting indicators. So far I haven't seen anyone come up with a better mounting than the original but you can fit smaller indicators to the original brackets giving a neater apperance.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Short fender with small indicators

This should give you an idea or standard brackets with small indicators. You will need to use the correct brackets wich are dependant on which subframe you have. Small alloy brackets for the early Tbird or the longer chrome bracket for Sports, Legends and later T'birds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait till Winter

I am guess I am one of the weird ones who really likes the look of the Triumph stock turn signals. On my former Scrambler, I cut down the stems and mounted them to the side of the fender. I am thinking of using the upper stock mounting points under the seat with some type of fabricated brackets for the Sport. One of those things, you will know when you see it. Going to be one of those garage projects when the cold hits, which is right around the corner damnit......

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Racing Yellow Paint-Found It

In case anyone is still following this little fender swap saga, I thought I would post that I have located a source for Triumph Racing Yellow Paint and the cost seems fairly reasonable in my opinion. The company is PaintWorld and I am attaching the link. Since I am only doing the bobbed fender I ordered the paint in rattle cans. They only have it in a three stage process but with shipping included it came to around $77.00. The holes are filled and flattened on the fender (I would post a shot but my body work looks like I do it with my feet while being on a 3 day drunk). Hopefully, with enough sanding and cursing, it will come out. The Lucas light is on order and I will post a further update when the paint gets laid.

http://www.paintworldinc.com/

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sun Check

Well it certainly is yellow, I'll know about the racing part when I check it in the sunlight in the am. BTW the Paintworld system is a breeze and easy to work with......

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lights

"Brown" has been to the door and dropped the turn signals, taillight, a salvaged rear wire harness from Pinwall Cycles, OEM style connectors, and assorted other little goodies to complete the wiring. I must have looked at a hundred sets of turn signals before picking these from Dennis Kirk, pretty good quality and similar to stock in design but much smaller.
I am waiting on a little more cure time on the fender before the final buffing and then bolt up time. Still thinking on where the rear signals will be mounted and have spent allot of time looking at other bikes in the photo section.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final Installment

Bolted it all up today. Overall I am very satisfied with the look in comparison to the stock rear fender set up. The good thing is I can go back to stock in about 10 minutes if the mood strikes. Only hitch was a 13mm wrench slipping off of a rear turn signal nut and putting a slight scratch in the new paint. Compound and good reminder to stay out of the garage frig until a job is done.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lovely TBS

Superb job gbc! Like the fender mods and the replacement lights fit right in.
Don't worry about the wee spanner mark. I dropped a nailbar off a ceiling joist, it hit the garage floor on the hooked end, bounced off the floor and sprang eight feet, cracking off the front fender (mudguard). But hey! It could have gone thro the radiator, so...
By the way I was in VIRGINIA, Co Cavan, (the original one) at the weekend to see The Waterboys - YouTube them, singing 'Whole of the Moon'

1 - 14 of 14 Posts