Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still debating what I am going to do with my rear end. I will likely just paint the lights, and shorten the stalks, but am considering bobbing or eliminating the fender alltogether.

But will this result in far too much crap being sprayed up the back of the bike? I ride all year, all weather...

Any other issues?

-d

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've had both but I live in the arid west of the U.S. and even when it does rain I try not to ride in it. You will get some splashback with a FEK. Try and buy a used rear mudguard/fender and bob it. The rear stock fender is ugly as hell in my opinion but its easy to bob. Don't just cut the end off, trim the sides up too to give it that more classic look.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
had my first rides for the year this week, and ran the bike sans fenders. Encountered some mud, and even if I took it very easy, the rear end got sprayed pretty good, the igniter covered in mud.

So i did like Scramblerstew suggested, bought an extra set of fenders to bob.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lets see - here in the UK fender = mudguard.

To remove or "bob" the fenders is therefore going to increase the amount of mud clogging up the vital parts of your bike.

Now, do I want a bike that works in all conditions or apparently looks "cool"? Hmmm, tough one.

But then, I'm just a grumpy old man...

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Got my bike used and the front fender is "bob", got caught in rain and holly crap that was a miserable experience. I'm going to look for a stock front fender, I can't take this junk blowing back on me all the time. Not bad on dry roads but what a mess for the bike and me in rain. Amazing how much stuff stays off of you and the bike with a stock front fender in rain.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I bought a fender extender for the front and a longer Bonnie mudguard for the rear, so you can put me firmly in the 'I wouldn't do it' camp. I ride all year and don't want the joy of being completely covered in crud.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Ive cut my FEK back so far theres only enuff plastic left for blinkers and NPlate, luv the look, I ride all year all weather also muddy roads etc most I get is small amount of muddy spray on top of seat easilly cleaned,no idea wot brand was already fitted....T50...

·
Registered
182 Posts
if you do remove your fender - it's very easy to get a thin piece of aluminium, and cut it to completely cover the gap under the seat, with a slight concave bend, and a arched profile to meet up with the back of the battery box, using the stock fender mounting bolts to hold it all in and keep it secure. I painted my undertray black to make it disappear and after a few thousand ks including some very wet roads, nothing has surfaced under the seat.

then the only issue is roadcrud spraying back on the tail of the bike itself - my licence plate catches the worst of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts