Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to get a Fender Eliminator Kit for my Black T100.
Both British Customs and New Bonneville offer one, at comparable prices. Do you have a preference, or an opinion? I'd like to hear it.

1. British Customs

or

2. New Bonneville

thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had the NewBonneville kit, but my bike bottomed out and completely destroyed the tail light due to the angle of the license plate bracket. The tire actually hit the license plate holder and just broke everything. From what I understand, the BC kit has a steeper angle, so there's less chance of this happening. Also, the NewBonneville kit is not an LED tail light where the BC kit is. My Wife complained about the tail light from the NB kit so I had to upgrade to an LED light, which was much better.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I got the plate from newbonneville and made my own bracket for a tail light and license plate. Maybe my rear tire will eat the license place one day, who knows? I like the way it looks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The New Bonnie one is made out of metal and I believe the British Customs one is made out of plastic, so I would go with the New Bonnie one as it might be a little stronger. But I have not heard of anyone that has broken a British Customs FEK so it's basically up to you.
What I would recommend is making your own. I have made my own out of sheets of metal available at Home Depot or Lowes. take your fender off and trace your own on cardboard or something and then cut it out and test the fit making small adjustments and then trace your final one on a sheet of metal and use a dremmel or another cutting tool to cut it out, even if you mess up and it doesn't fit right you can always buy another sheet of metal and you will still save a whole lot more than spending money on a FEK. also buy yourself the turn signals and brake light and make a bracket for that also, almost like a block C kind looks like this "[" but with a tab on top to be screwed into the home made FEK. once you look at the pictures of whats in a FEK kit you will realize they will be easy to make yourself. Also you will get more self satisfaction that you did that yourself and do just about whatever you want. I made a license plate bracket way back so the wheel won't smash it and bend the license plate when the rear shocks are at full compression.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The angle of the taillight and number plate on the NewBonneville kit looks odd in my opinion. I've also heard complaints about the quality of the chrome on the indicators that come in the kit.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I just installed the BC FEK. The protective part that bolts right under the seat is plastic, but would serve it's purpose just fine. The light/license bracket is metal. I found the wiring harness to be very easy and straight forward to hook up lights. I also ordered the front light relocator and wiring harnesses and bullet lights.

One should note that aftermarket non-stock lights may require upgrades other than the lights themselves. I found that the bullet lights (non LED) that I ordered from BC came with bulbs that are higher wattage than stock (23W vs 10W). After a lot of frustrating attempts, and help from this forum. I realized that for my bike, that connecting all four signals was too much for the flasher relay. Swapping for the original bulbs in the new bullet lights was the solution until I decide to upgrade the flasher relay. There are also peculiarities in the way the flasher indicator light in the guage that may cause flashers to blink simultaneously with non-stock bulbs (search other threads for details). Upgrading to LED signal lights have their own considerations that is covered by many on this forum too.

I make these comments here so that anyone considering FEK be aware that even with wiring harnesses making the set-up easy, there are other bugaboos that need to be considered. They're easily overcome, but it may be frustrating until you discover they exist.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I like this one from Bellacorse the best:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just installed the BC FEK. The protective part that bolts right under the seat is plastic, but would serve it's purpose just fine.
I have the BC FEK. My protective plate that bolts under the seat is metal, the same material as the licence plate bracket. I've had mine for a year now so maybe they've changed the plate to plastic recently.

I'm real happy with the product and would definitely recommend it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yeah. Must've changed. Mine arrived last Saturday. One nice feature is the rubber grommet that protects the wires from the rear light to the wiring harness as it passes from underneath the plate. I'd buy this unit again, but can't make a comparison to the NB FEK.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah. Must've changed. Mine arrived last Saturday. One nice feature is the rubber grommet that protects the wires from the rear light to the wiring harness as it passes from underneath the plate. I'd buy this unit again, but can't make a comparison to the NB FEK.
Can you get a picture of the rubber grommet? I'm having a hard time imagining it right now.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to close the loop on this thread.....I installed the Maund FEK today, combined with the wire harness from New Bonneville.

VERY high quality materials and easy install.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts