Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at 2 of the Triumph mesh jackets the Air Retro jacket and the Jerez jacket. Anyone have one? Like them? I'm dealing with the hot/humid WI summer and looking for a good ventilated jacket. Any other suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Triumph Falcon mesh jacket. I know it isn't the same style as what you are looking for, but I can say that it is extremely high in quality. It also breathes very well.

If the ones you are looking at are made to the same standard, I do not think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Air Retro Jacket. Cannot compare to other mesh jackets, but overall it is pretty nice. Without the liner it breathes really well--so much so that if it is under 80 degrees, I tend to opt for my leather with the vents open. On hot days, it works great. It could do with snaps/straps to tighten the arms so as to keep the elbow pads in place, but that is minor. The fit is kind of large, BTW. I suspect that for the $ you can do better, but it is certainly up to the task, particularly if you have incentive cash from Triumph (as I did) that you need to spend.

One minor quibble, the liner is, in my view, worthless. It is clearly waterproof, but as it sits next to your skin, it gets clammy in seconds. I have never used it beyond the try-on stage as it is just not comfortable. Perhaps with a long-sleeved shirt it would be OK, but I doubt it. That said, if it cool enough to warrant the liner, I have a leather available, so I don't really care.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the suggestions. I have something for the colder weather but key will be no liner and good air flow for the warm and humid. I'll check out the Xelement and Falcon.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
My only experience with Triumph mesh jackets is also with the Falcon. I was not as impressed with it as the above poster and eventually replaced it with the Rev'it equivalent. The mesh isn't nearly as tight or as sturdy feeling as the Rev'it and eventually ended up getting kind of "fuzzy" with wear. I had the same issue with Triumph mesh gloves.

However, you can get the Triumph Falcon at a near steal right now on close out if your size is in stock and at that price, it's a real bargain for sure.

http://shop.triumphmotorcycles.com/Jacket/id-0092C/Falcon_Jacket

·
Registered
415 Posts
Spidi Net7. http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textile-motorcycle-jackets/net7-tex-jacket.html

July/Aug in PA is 90+ degrees and 90% humidity. The Spidi mesh jacket fits like a glove, comes with a removable inner wind membrane and is CE armored. CE back armor is extra, though (about another $60).

I've had the Spidi for 4 years, now. It's holding up well and has survived 3 machine washings (on gentle) and came out looking new each time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My only experience with Triumph mesh jackets is also with the Falcon. I was not as impressed with it as the above poster and eventually replaced it with the Rev'it equivalent. The mesh isn't nearly as tight or as sturdy feeling as the Rev'it and eventually ended up getting kind of "fuzzy" with wear. I had the same issue with Triumph mesh gloves.

However, you can get the Triumph Falcon at a near steal right now on close out if your size is in stock and at that price, it's a real bargain for sure.

http://shop.triumphmotorcycles.com/Jacket/id-0092C/Falcon_Jacket
That is not the same Falcon jacket that I have. Mine looks like this one:

When I picked mine up, there were two jackets on the rack. One was like the one you linked to, the other was the one shown above, which seemed to be a more aggressive cut than the other. It also felt heavier.

Could it have been an upgrade?

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Just did some quick research. My Jacket is the Triumph Performance Falcon Jacket. The other is named Triumph Falcon Jacket.

Not certain what the differences are, due to most websites having the same description for both. MADSS actually has both of them listed on their site.
I am not sure either. Mine was one of the grey/blue/black deals. Purchased that and the Falcon gloves. Replaced them both with the Rev'it equivalents. I have no idea what changes they may have made, as you say the descriptions are the same. Perhaps they realized an issue with the older mesh and upgraded?

Also, it seems like looking at current Triumph clothing inventory, perhaps they are both discontinued?

Another mesh jacket that I own and really like is the Olympia Dakar Dual Sport Jacket. That was my "go to" jacket on a couple of longer road trips last year, when I had no idea what the weather would have in store.

If money were no object, I might consider the Klim Adventure Rally Air. I also really like the Klim Induction jacket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Stopped into the Triumph dealer in Milwaukee and ended up talking to their sales manager. The guy actually had the Air Retro jacket, he said he loved the jacket so far and his wife complimented how slim he looked in it. He also mentioned the protection was there as well and it doesn't feel too loose like some mesh jackets when you remove the liner.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a slightly older Triumph mesh jacket. Cant remember the model.. the Talon or Falcon? Anyway, the thing is build quite well. Ive had it for 5-6 yrs. Been on all my big tours ( I bring two jackets with me on tour). Shows no signs of wear, and is more substancial then most mesh jackets Ive seen. Wish they still made it.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Jerez is nice, but the best mesh I have seen and worn is the Revit ignition 2, when I need a new jacket, that's the one I'm going for, design and construction is outstanding.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been looking at 2 of the Triumph mesh jackets the Air Retro jacket and the Jerez jacket. Anyone have one? Like them? I'm dealing with the hot/humid WI summer and looking for a good ventilated jacket. Any other suggestions welcome.

I bought a Jerez about 2 weeks ago for the hot and humid MN summer. So far so good. I did buy a Knox back protector and am thinking about sewing some micro fleece to the collar tab as it is a little stiff against my neck.

My last mesh jacket was a Rukka Airider. Very innovative design but I think they missed in the execution. The Cordura AFT mesh is too flexible and would easily ride up your back/sides in a slide (yes, I did buy the correct size). The price was twice what I paid for my Jerez. Ended up returning it.

I was originally going to buy an Air Retro, but couldn't find one in my size.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Where on a triumph jacket will it say what model it is? I was given a used one but don't know what it is. It's a great jacket. I need to figure out how to post a pic....

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Triumph Rowland Jacket?

Does anybody have any feedback on the Triumph Rowland jacket? It's currently a bit spendy at $300 US so it wouldn't surprise me if it got few takers. I'm not too keen on paying more for Triumph branding but I have the Air Retro jacket and I like the way it fits.:ThreadHijacked

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I'll answer my own question.:D
I pulled the trigger on a large Rowland Jacket. The mesh is the same quality as the Air Retro Jacket but there is slightly less of it used in the body of jacket. The fit is the same for both jackets. The Triumph branding is more conspicuous on the front but the jacket also has more pockets. The removable lining is warmer than the rain liner from the Retro jacket. The Rowland seems like a good three season jacket.:2cents
I'll post some thumbnails when I get the chance.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
As promised:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I'll share my impressions for future eBayers.:D. It's a nice jacket. Same material quality as the Air Retro, maybe slightly more refined. Virtually the same fit.
I ordered a Large which translates to a roomy US 46. The front measures 23.5 inches from base of collar to hem. The same measurement from the back is about 27 inches. The sleeves measure about 26.5 inches from shoulder seam to cuff. Perfect for a mutant like me.
Without the liner zipped in, the jacket flows air about as well as the Air Retro. I haven't ridden with the liner installed but it looks like it would be very warm. The jacket has two position snap adjustment straps on both sides. The jacket has a total of four reasonably deep zippered pockets: two outside hand warmer types and a high vertical pocket chest high inside the main zipper on the left side and a low vertical pocket on the right side next to the liner zipper. This pocket is duplicated by a pocket in the same place on the liner.
I have found this forum to be a great resource for researching gear. I hope this is of some use.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts