Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 questions I am trying to find answers for and am not having much luck:

# 1
I am approx. 800 miles from nearest dealer and would like to try a different map...is it possible/realistic to remove the ecu, fedex to dealer, have dealer remap (if possible?) and fedex it back?

# 2
Have an 09 efi Bonnie with tors and tors tune and way too snatchy throttle response, ..don't really want to cough up approx. 500 plus smackers (with exchange rate, import fees, taxes) for a PowerCommander. (the obvious/expensive answer to the problem).

Have been trying to understand the reason for the snatchy throttle response as well as discover a cheaper fix for the problem (ie: a "Fuel Cutoff Eliminator"???, tweak the Throttle Position Sensor?? adjust throttle cable??, install adjustable resistors on O'2 sensors???????....is there anybody out there??).

Cheers, Ted.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Ted,
I don't think I have any answers to your questions, but I like your logic - if it is possible to remove the ECU for a re-map by post its a good idea.
However, the more fundamental problem is which map? Some are happy with the stock map with the Tors, I wasn't, because on my bike the overrun popping was savage - it isn't on all of them.
I have heard of people running the Arrow 2into2 tune with Tors and Togas without any "reported" snatchiness, no-one seems to have tried that combination and reported back recently.

So even if it is possible to remove the ECU and re-map by post we need to have the right map tried and tested and available.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
LB,
I would not try to bandaid or kluge the snatchy throttle issue. We are in similar situations...only you went ahead and changed your tune because of pronounced popping...mine is only light and intermittent and we both would like to find the holy grail of maps including Phil and a growing group of others with new EFI bikes. As I wrote in Dick's thread, I believe it to be a shame that Triumph missed the mark with the TORS tune..no excuse really as the base map isn't snatchy.
What are your (our) options?
I don't think sending your ECM to the dealer is among them unless you have an unusually cooperative dealer. The reason is...quite sure they would have to mount your ECM to another Bonny for all the correct interface to their mapping computer and to provide a power supply to your ECM. It may even need to zero out to all the sensors on the bike and all sensors have tolerances and therefore wouldn't end up being a precise tune to your bike. In summary, I don't think its viable.

Right now, short of finding another tune...we are the beta testers guys :)....Power Commander is the ticket. Dick has proved this and is getting ready for another dyno run with a new and improved map developed by his Triumph guru. I wouldn't try to kluge your issue LB...just me...or experiment with your bike as you will end up too many blind allies. Either wait to hear what is a better map...or work with your dealer to install a couple of different Arrow maps, ride the bike and see if they work. If you read what I wrote in Dick's thread, I believe you need to complain to your dealer and have them install one or both Arrow maps gratis because the TORS map is unacceptable. You shouldn't have to had paid for a map that provides worse throttle response than the base map. This only takes 5 minutes even though they charge 1/2 hour labor for remapping. It needs to get back to the factory from the dealer network that the TORS maps isn't acceptable. So far...the Power Commander with Dick's custom map is the ticket for all of us.
Best,
George

·
Registered
387 Posts
This only takes 5 minutes even though they charge 1/2 hour labor for remapping.
Yes, five minutes for the remap. 25 minutes to R&R the seat. :rolleyes:

Lucky, where are you located? 800 miles to a dealer is a real haul.

Thanks to you and others on this site I will be holding off on getting a Tors map. I too am waiting to find out what the solution is short of a PC. As Biker7 says it is time to put pressure on Triumph as this is obviously something that has to be fixed.

Back to the seat, I've used a trick learned on this site for an inexpensive fix that is much better than trying to fumble with the small short bolts...especially on my bike with a grab rail. I went to my local fastener supply store and got a pair of 6mm X 60mm (80mm will also work) allen head bolts with four nuts (two for each bolt to adjust thread length) and used them with the spacers supplied with the seats. Much easier to access, remove and restart the threads. Hope this is useful to someone.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
That is a great tip Richard. I don't take my seat off much so fumble as you say with an extension. :)
Cheers,
George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts