Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
Just wanna show some pics from the rebuilding of my featherbed... Im from Denmark so sorry for the english, please tell if im totally wrong with the spelling- Or if you have a problem with it please make your own Post about it!!!

This is the first bike i have and one of the first time ever driving one (tryed my friends R6 a few times)

Bought the featherbed with a Triumph 650cc but just had to create something different so here it goes

With a lot of knowledge from an old guy who used to drive roadrace on this kind of old bikes i started

I dont have jig i only measure etc etc etc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
Awesome work for someone with no experience. How good is it on the road?

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,535 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting this! So it's a finished bike already? It looks great!

And your spelling is better than some of us who were raised murdering English, so you've got nothing to worry about. We don't let the spelling/grammar police patrol too heavily in BHO.

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
Very nice bike. I am new to riding also, is "featherbed " a common name for that type of bike, I have not heard that expression before?

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished bike.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no not really.... it eat a few sparksplugs and couldnt always keep up with charging the batteri.... it was with build with electrical ignition and charging!!!!

but if you're the kind of guy who think its a shame -please make another post for that!!!!!! THX

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
no not really.... it eat a few sparksplugs and couldnt always keep up with charging the batteri.... it was with build with electrical ignition and charging!!!!

but if you're the kind of guy who think its a shame -please make another post for that!!!!!! THX
:) Not at all! I thought maybe the 650 lump blew up, and it was a lot cheaper to go with a Hinckley motor. I've seen a few featherbed Hinckley's, and think they look great!

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
While I'm a big fan of featherbeds, & love the combos that were created in the 60s, as they mated a superior motor to a superior frame. But frame technology has come a long way in 60 years, & I'm wondering what benefits the featherbed offers over a stock Hinkley Triumph frame?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool... the engine didnt blow up but still I was a little afraid to take in on long trips because of the sparkplugs/ charging etc... and it would be to expensive to renovate the engine compared to the price of shipping and Thruxton from the UK..... you have to know we have a tax on +180% on new bikes in Denmark. So thats one of the reasons i did it... But the main reason is that i think the Featherbed frame is the most beautiful frame/bike ever build- low the old school but want to mix it with engine an brakes from a modern bike and still have the oldschool look!!!!!
The project during xmas is to construct some new 'bridges' for the forks and find out how to create a new oldschool looking sving arm( the frame is widen 3cm to make space for the chain)

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
That's as good a reason to use a featherbed as any other I've heard, & better than most. Good luck with completing your bike. It should be a beauty.
BTW Say G'day to our Princess Mary, if you see her.;):)

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.