Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there just installed new FCRs on my Scrambler - I have a procom reprogrammable ignition - anyone have an idea how to reset the TPS ? The reason I ask is that when the TPS is plugged in, the bike coughs - (either to rich or too lean) - when unplugged it's almost perfect - almost...

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I was not aware they put TPS on FCR carb kits.
Where did you get it?
Call the people you bought it from is what I suggest.

I know that on race bikes with very advanced ignition timing
while they are warming up they cough while cold like your pro com
due to extreme ignition advance and while it is not extreme your
procom is advancing your timing more than stock.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
the reason it acks up when its pluged in is the procom dont have enough advance at low rpms as they should have.Even on stock ecm when you plug in the tps it retards timing at idle.You can fix this by programing the procom to add advance from 0 to 3000 rpms.
Try #1 at 0 rpms then bring it up to +3 at 3000 rpms keep it +3 all the way to the rev limit from 3000 rpms on.
male it a smooth curve from 0 to 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the reason it acks up when its pluged in is the procom dont have enough advance at low rpms as they should have.Even on stock ecm when you plug in the tps it retards timing at idle.You can fix this by programing the procom to add advance from 0 to 3000 rpms.
Try #1 at 0 rpms then bring it up to +3 at 3000 rpms keep it +3 all the way to the rev limit from 3000 rpms on.
male it a smooth curve from 0 to 3000 rpm.

Hey guys thanks for the responses!

Yep! definitely has a throttle sensor :)

Hi MikeinVA, I was wondering if you can help me out here.

Yesterday I ended up just keeping it unplugged and chose a different map on the procom. Map#9 - went for a 200 mile ride today and I must say its running pretty freaking awesome. Better than ever actually. Snappy and pulls smooth in every gear. WAY better that the CR specials I had. But I'm interested in seeing if I can plug the TPS and get the same results if not better.

Here is the mapping I'm using (downloaded from procom)

TIMING vs RPM
If I'm reading this right: the advance is 0 until 2500 rpm where it hits plus 3.5 at 4000 rpm all the way through to 6 then peaks at 5.5 at 7200

If I read you right, you are suggesting set the blue dial on the Procom to #1 and then the Timing vs Rpm map to this -correct?

Also this was the other setting in map #9 - any idea how this setting affects anything? Should I modify this too? Or it was probably doing nothing since the TPS wasn't plugged in...right?

TIMING vs TPS

Thanks in advance! Really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I would not change the tps map.If you have it unpluged that map does nothing any way.No need to plug it in anyway will run just as good with out it.Yrs that is about what you want the map to look like you can try even more timing from 0 to 3000 You have to play with it and see what works best on your bike.Be sure you have the switch set to 1 when you load the map.The book says to set it to 0 but the book wasnt made for these bikes as I found out on the phone with procom.
Play with it you will find what works best for you,Once you get the fcrs dialed in you will love them there way better then the cr carbs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would not change the tps map.If you have it unpluged that map does nothing any way.No need to plug it in anyway will run just as good with out it.Yrs that is about what you want the map to look like you can try even more timing from 0 to 3000 You have to play with it and see what works best on your bike.Be sure you have the switch set to 1 when you load the map.The book says to set it to 0 but the book wasnt made for these bikes as I found out on the phone with procom.
Play with it you will find what works best for you,Once you get the fcrs dialed in you will love them there way better then the cr carbs.
Thanks Mikeinva,
When I bought the procom, the dealer told me to set it at 6 - so it's been at that ever since.
This morning I set the dial to 1 sent the new map to the procom, plugged in the TPS and the bike just doesn't want to fire (same for unplugged TPS) - I set it back to 6 and it's kicks over no issue - am I missing something ? Also apologies if this is a newby question but does it make a difference that the Scrambler is a 270 degree crank?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Mikeinva,
When I bought the procom, the dealer told me to set it at 6 - so it's been at that ever since.
This morning I set the dial to 1 sent the new map to the procom, plugged in the TPS and the bike just doesn't want to fire (same for unplugged TPS) - I set it back to 6 and it's kicks over no issue - am I missing something ? Also apologies if this is a newby question but does it make a difference that the Scrambler is a 270 degree crank?
Just talked to procom. Basically the position of the dial is set according to your OEM ignition unit so if you go the website and look for your OEM part number ( for me it's the Scrambler page - http://www.procomeng.com/index.php?view=catalog&cat_id=5&brand_id=9&model_id=131 ) and look for my part # - it's the 8th one listed - so I "should" be on #8 :S

Weird cuz # 6 seemed to work fine - lets try 8!

Update: 8 sux. Back to #6 - bike seems to run fine - well actually way better than fine it's a blast with the FCRs - no TPS map 9.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
yea your right didnt notice you had a scram with the 270 deg motor.7 maybe the 790 270 map .The 790 maps run better then the 865 maps in most cases.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea your right didnt notice you had a scram with the 270 deg motor.7 maybe the 790 270 map .The 790 maps run better then the 865 maps in most cases.
heh, no worries :) you've inspired me to venture down the dark art of timing. Although I feel I have it figured out, I think I'll tinker a few more times and see where I net out with your advance suggestion on a different setting.

All in all the ultimate mod was the FCRs - I really am blown away at the difference between these and the CRs. Carlos was awesome. Jetted perfectly and answered a few questions happily. Seems like a super nice guy with a wealth of knowledge. Will post a video review shortly.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Carlos is a very nice guy .He has helped alot of people .He thinks of his custmers bike like they where his own.Heck he has even talked me out of spending money on stuff i dont need .How many people in sales will do that lol.Heck about 1/2 of them know nothing about what they are selling you lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts