Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about a carb. upgrade, which would you think would be the best? BTW, I'm thinking of a 994 kit in the future so give me some in-puts.

I know there are some of you guys out there with experience with both, could I get some pros and cons?

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've got the mikuni's mounted with a 904 kit and a few other odd's n ends. The mikuni's are sweet, very responsive exceptional power builders.

This carb setup was tested and is used on race bikes, tuned properly for the street...they are awesome.

Don't let anyone tell you they wont work...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been leaning towards the HSR's because people have always raved how mikuni is a superior carb to kiehin. Even in the HD crowds, where S&S are popular, you are seeing more of the HSR conversions.

How easy are they to tune?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Tuning isnt bad, the needle's are grooved and held in place with a e-clip so they can be raised or lowered. 4 different needle's are available, odd's are very good the needle supplied with the kit...( Bill will set the carbs up for you )...will suffice.

Jet change's are a breeze, no more dropping the bowls. Just remove the 21/22 mm bolt from the bottom of the bowl and the viola.

Accelerator pumps come disabled, you wont want them enabled as they will make the bike swim in fuel.

Only changes I made to mine was to drop the main from 145 to 142.5 and move the e clip from the 3rd groove to the 5th.

They are very responsive, far more than the kiehns.

Look in the wiki section under Bang for a thread covering the install of my carbs and the end result.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I'm sticking withthe stock carbs (CVR Kehin) as they are real easy to tune and forget. Back in the day we used to prefer Mikuni because they provided such a broad range of power and tuneablitiy. British Customs is also getting the 35mm CR Kehins in, if they haven't already. They are all good racing carbs. I'm going to stick with rejetted stockers for awhile before I go to anything else with the 904 kit that is being installed as we speak.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2006-12-22 19:17, sweatmachine wrote:
also that 994 is garbage, the only guy I've ever heard of having one just blew his motor.

go for the 904 cc wiseco kit.
Was it because of the kit or did he throw a rod? I don't know if I would call it garbage, aren't the jugs billet?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
On 2006-12-23 11:28, Brooksie wrote:
I'm sticking withthe stock carbs (CVR Kehin) as they are real easy to tune and forget. Back in the day we used to prefer Mikuni because they provided such a broad range of power and tuneablitiy. British Customs is also getting the 35mm CR Kehins in, if they haven't already. They are all good racing carbs. I'm going to stick with rejetted stockers for awhile before I go to anything else with the 904 kit that is being installed as we speak.
You'll be happy with the 904 kit and the stock carbs....should you choose to got he route of mikuni's later, you'll get too see how much your stock cvk's were holding the bike back.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually, I was thinking of the HSR's now and the kit later, I have the carbs off now in a attempt to fit some VP flatsides I purchased and it's too much of a pain to do, originally they were a bank of 4.

I am still on the fence about which kit, the 904 is appealing because of not having to machine the cases.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the link, very informative, although I was considering a 994 kit, it was addressed also in a separate thread. It seems members are concerned about the thickness of the bores. Perhaps I should just go with the 904.

Either way, I believe my best carb option is to go with the HSR's. Are the new intakes required, or can I get away with my old ones with new spigots?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'd recommend getting the intakes...mainly because there is limited space to work with regarding depth from the face of the intake to the backside of where the pod filter would be.

The billet intakes are shorter.

Also, if you already have a airbox elim kit installed on your bike make sure to let Bill know this when you place your order...the carb kit come's with a airbox removal kit/intakes.

The 904 kit combined with the mikuni's is alotta fun man...make's quite a difference in the bike.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2006-12-23 15:10, bonnieblackinfl wrote:
On 2006-12-22 19:17, sweatmachine wrote:
also that 994 is garbage, the only guy I've ever heard of having one just blew his motor.

go for the 904 cc wiseco kit.
Was it because of the kit or did he throw a rod? I don't know if I would call it garbage, aren't the jugs billet?
:hammer:

You are correct in your statement, I have an oil pump failure, and as a consequence spun a rod bearing.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
carlos, is that you?

I was down at the shop last week and when I saw your bike was still there my heart sank. You got to be bummed.
Hope you get up and going soon.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2006-12-24 00:46, MES wrote:
carlos, is that you?

I was down at the shop last week and when I saw your bike was still there my heart sank. You got to be bummed.
Hope you get up and going soon.
:) :)
Yes it is me, it seems that you know me, but I'm new to this forum and I'm not familiar with the forum handles.
I been waiting 5 weeks for the Carillo's that's why the bike is still there.
I'm not bummed at all!
We'll be back in action in January.
Thank You.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, there is always 3 sides to a story, I try not to assume. I have a couple of questions regarding the 994 kit.

Carlos what kind of performance was you getting, any dyno figures, and what carbs are you running?

What was an approximate cost of the machine work required to relieve the cases?

If you was to do it over again, would you go the 904 or 994 route?

Thanks
Greg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts