Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored a set of 39mm FCR's on EBay yesterday and am stoked! They even include the pod adapters and K&N filters. I had been saving up for a new set, but the $1200 - plus price tag meant I would be waiting another season to get them.

Now - they are mine, all mine!

FCR's, coupled with my new Trident 3-1 exhaust, and this S3 should be running like a highly motivated cheetah.

I can't wait!

Ditto

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Blimey...good on ya Ditto, there are few things in this world that bring me as much pleasure as riding my bike, sex & booze come close but buying tools and stuff for the bike are well up there too ;-)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Let us know! I'm very curious about the differences between the FCRs & the regular CVs.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
422 Posts
Congrats! I saw those posted in the morning and almost paid the buy it now price, great deal. I knew they would go quick. You scored them by the end of the day. Glad someone got them that will put them to use. Good on ya.

B

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I needed to share. My wife, the lovely Mrs. Ditto, just doesn't understand. But she does tolerate, which is good!

I will post when I have everything fitted up.

Ditto

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Let us know! I'm very curious about the differences between the FCRs & the regular CVs.

Cheers,
-Kit
The difference is alot of bolt on power. Its a great power upgrade for the price.

The only con is the lack of choke, but if you prime the accelartor pump by a couple of short twists of the throttle it's not a problem.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If they don`t work properly then i`m sure i could find a good home for them here in Scotland :drool:

Now these should give a nice increase in power but mind to keep your weight forward on takeoff otherwise you`ll spend your whole time plane spotting. :motorbike2:

I just wish i could afford to get this wee toy.......

Further details on sexy T3 post

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Thanks. I needed to share. My wife, the lovely Mrs. Ditto, just doesn't understand. But she does tolerate, which is good!

I will post when I have everything fitted up.

Ditto
I didn't realize how close we are. Maybe we can compare notes once the snow has passed.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't realize how close we are. Maybe we can compare notes once the snow has passed.
Sounds good.

I read some of your posts on the First Sunday/Ephrata thread and planned on getting in touch with you before I headed out there. Had snow on the ground here this morning.

Keep in touch.

Ditto

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yeah we had snow on the ground here as well, so I skipped it.

Sometimes my riding club goes to the drags at the Reading MC.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Ditto,
My comments are based on my experience with my D12.
Those FCRs are a whole different animal than the Keihins. I had 41mm on the bike (an they just didn't seem to run right while cruising) so I put on 39mm and had a shop dyno it. They changed the pilot jets and it runs like a raped ape when WOT (and yes, the front end comes up VERY easy) but cruising was a different story (plus the gas mileage was horrible +/-19mpg). Well, I needed to put the Keihins back on so I can get it inspected by the Japanese (when it arrives; I just moved). It almost made me cry as the acceleration just isn't there. I think you won't have quite the issues I'm having as SUDCO made kits for the T3 900s and had it all sorted out. I'd be curious to know what jets, needle height, float height, other settings, etc are on yours (could you check before installing?) I would think the D12 would be close to the same. (I plan on working on these still as I have access to a few tuners here in Japan).
Anyhow, I think your missus will wonder what's up because you'll be grinning all the time...I know mine does!
Triton

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Triton - I certainly will pass that info on. I will be checking those specs anyways.

Ditto

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Thanks.
Once my goods arrive in shipping (I've moved overseas) I'll crack my set to see what the "tuner" in HI set them up as. I suspect he didn't do a [email protected]#$ thing other than change the pilot jets.
Have you scored the internet FCR tuning guide that's out there? Quite informative.
http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbkei.html
Triton

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Triton - that is a boat-load of information. Thanks for the heads up.

Off topic, noticed you are in Okinawa. Marine Corps?

Ditto

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Army off and on for the last 24.5 years (I had a brief go at being a civilian/student). Anyhow, make sure you do some searches for Trypcil (wish he was still around; I haven't seen a post from him since the site changeover and I'm not sure why (well I do have my theories because this site irritates me to no end with the crappy adverts, lethargic page loading, etc)) and Hinckley posts as (IIRC) they both have FCRs on the trips.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been reading Trypcils stuff for the last 6 months or so, for both research and comic relief. That man has a ton of info and a pretty wild perspective. I wish he posted more myself.

I will look up Hinckley's posts, too. I was in contact with him for fork brace advice.

I did a hitch in the Navy. Not the same, I know. We had to keep our heads doen to avoid the overhead, you keep your head down for an entirely different reason.

Just got the FCR's yesterday. The weather finally broke here, so I will probably ride this weekend, rather than tear down.

Have a good one,
Ditto

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ditto,
...I think you won't have quite the issues I'm having as SUDCO made kits for the T3 900s and had it all sorted out. I'd be curious to know what jets, needle height, float height, other settings, etc are on yours (could you check before installing?) I would think the D12 would be close to the same. (I plan on working on these still as I have access to a few tuners here in Japan).

Triton

OK Triton - Here we go:

Slow Air Screw = 1 turn out
Main Air Jet = 200

Pilot Jet = 50
Main Jet = 152

Needle = OCEMT
Needle Position = 5

Needle & Seat = 3.2

Sorry - I forgot to check float height. The FCR manual you turned me on to asks for 9mm. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow, my facewill be sore from all the smiling I will be doing riding my newly carbureted beast.

Ditto

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Ditto,
Thanks much! I will tear into my FCRs when the get here and post that setup's info. The're off the bike in preparation for Japanese inspection. I know there are a few differences already (58 pilot jets, and the needle doesn't seem the same).
Triton
PS Keep us updated after you ride!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Holy Speed Triple, Batman!

Got it out today and - WOW - I can't believe this is the same bike! Don't get me wrong, I liked my S3 when it was stock, but it is a different beast with the FCR/Trident 3-1 upgrade.

First, I think the bike dropped 20 lbs losing the stock exhaust (why are the stock cans sooo heavy?).

Second, it just breathes easier, pulling harder and faster than before. Flick the wrist, and you are at redline, lickity split.

And I know that carburation isn't quite right, yet.

Off idle from a stand still is wrong, leading me to believe I need to adjust the slow air screw, but it seems right everywhere else. And by right, I mean "HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL!! - THIS IS AWESOME!!!" right.

Too much traffic for a sustained high speed run, hopefully this weekend I will have some time and empty freeway - er, I mean closed race course - to sort it out.

More reactions to follow.

Ditto

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thats it, me want FCR's - NOW!

In the meantime though, I'm ditching the airbox and re-jetting the CV's.

Cheers,

Roden

1 - 20 of 47 Posts