Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have come to the conclusion my 930 amals aren't worth putting money into. They need slides there scored and mismatched need main jets and needle jets and needles also assuming new bodies because of the wear. So know you can do mikunis but can't reuse the stock airbox not really a choose I hate the look of the chrome pancake filters. New amals that is a real choose I just don't know if I want amals again then again the bike is basically all orginal I belive. So I was wondering about fcr carbs I see there using them on the new triumphs and I used to them from having honda dirt bikes has anybody put them on classic triumph ? Just thinking out loud fcr are easy work on and familar for me.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
2xs,
has anybody put them on classic triumph ?
Probably not but you can be the first to try?

If you don't like pancakes for filters then you probably do like the stupid original airboxes and rubber pipes and pickup tubes and , wait, what year bike do you have?

then again the bike is basically all orginal
Do you want originality or runability?

I used to them from having honda dirt bikes has anybody put them on classic triumph ?
Believe it or not, I looked for a kit to use Dellorto Carb's on my "Classic" Bonnie, but none could be found.

Anybody who can use new Triumph Parts on our old "Clunker" bikes get's a big plus in my book!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I like the finished look of the stupid factory airboxes it is a 73 that belonged to my dad. I may try fcr not on this bike I think I will just do new amals with the hard slides.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
The other option would be to send the carbs out and get the slides sleeved.
Before they fit a sleeve,the carb body will be straightened if the flange and slide-bore are distorted.The slide bore will be bored straight and round.The slide will get a stainless sleeve and then have 0.0035" clearance in the slide bore.

Slide and slide-bore wear are greatly reduced with the stainless sleeve on a slide.

The needles don't generally wear much;the parallel part of the needle should measure 0.0985".
Needle-jets do wear out in 10,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't see why you can't use the FCRs. A company here in the UK sells a kit for the T140V

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/products-kits-fcrh.html

They are just a better engineered high performance carb. Be warned though they are not cheap. Not much change out of £1200 for the full kit with mounting stuff and filters.

If you are doing some mods to the engine then I would go for it. I'm looking at using some of these carbs on a hot rodded XS650.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Intersting thought grandpaul are mkii's not see easily worn out ? The wassels are looking like an amal copy for not that much less the new amals am I missing something are they better ? What is great about the wassells ?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Nothing's better about Wassel stuff! If you want new carbs and don't want to fork out massive money for FCRs or Mikunis (which look horrible and won't fit properly without lots of messing anyway), why not get a pair of new Amal Premier 930s? These aren't a great deal more than the Wassel monkey metal copies, but they have improved slides, floats and jets.

Wassel were largely responsible for British bikes gaining a reputation for unreliability in the 1970s - ignorant youths like me bought Wassel's crappy parts from local bike shops, believing it was all there was available, and blamed Triumph/BSA/Norton when our bikes broke down!

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
The mk II is good.Amal wanted to produce it,before they were forced down to a price and made the mk I.Mikuni copied the mk II.
It's easier to tune the mk I jetting and you don't have to worry about possible leakage at the cold-start enrichment (making it rich),but a mk I wears the slide bore more than a mk II or mikuni.The new anodised slides should reduce slide bore wear in the mk I.

The mk II won't fit directly on a splayed head.It has a spigot-and-rubber hose mount,so you need to change your flange mounting.It may not fit the air filter hoses;I think the carb mouth is bigger.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Nothing's better about Wassel stuff! If you want new carbs and don't want to fork out massive money for FCRs or Mikunis (which look horrible and won't fit properly without lots of messing anyway), why not get a pair of new Amal Premier 930s? These aren't a great deal more than the Wassel monkey metal copies, but they have improved slides, floats and jets.

Wassel were largely responsible for British bikes gaining a reputation for unreliability in the 1970s - ignorant youths like me bought Wassel's crappy parts from local bike shops, believing it was all there was available, and blamed Triumph/BSA/Norton when our bikes broke down!
70's are a long way back aren't they?
Have you tried a set of present day new Wassels?
I just bought a pair of 900 series 28mm Wassel's, stripped them down and they are well made (unlike the pair of genuine Amal 3.5 slides I recently bought for a pair of 626 26mm Amals and had to run a drill through to get the cables in the holes)
The Wassels have stay up adjustable floats, viton tipped float valves and can say they definitely aren't made from monkey metal.
I also believe Wassel have changed hands since the 70's.
Too many people who haven't actually tried something express opinions on the internet which can damage business reputations.
If Wassel and other companies didn't compete in the market place, how much do you think a company with a monopoly would charge?
I didn't select the Wassels based on price, just my recent experience with the Amal parts (in genuine packaging) made me look at the alternative products available and the Wassels fitted the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I suppose, like you say, companies change hands over time, and names can end up not meaning much. But Wassel, to me, is synonymous with junk. It would take a lot to change that view. Amal have changed hands and - according to what I've heard - were producing some not very good stuff for a while, but have now improved.

Hepolite was a good name but now means nothing, because guess who bought the name. Yeah, Wassel!

Harris own the old Triumph name and produce most of the parts that we find available to us today. They might make some themselves but they also get parts made by subcontractors, and some are good, while others are Wassel standard. The poor quality of many pattern parts seems to me one of the biggest problems with restoring and maintaining an old Triumph.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly john I have been looking at a set of premier amals there actually not terribly priced I think. I was looking at those after I posted this and actually I'm going to wait I have it on good authority that amal has a 930 in r&d with an accelrator pump so I think I will wait till there sorted out and for sale. Any thoughts fellers ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
FCR's are fantastic carbs for race bikes and modern offroad machines. I'm a modern bike mechanic for a dealership and some off road race teams and I can't imagine FCR's would be a great choice for a vintage bike. Pumper carb tuning consists of much more than just mixture screw, pilot, needle, slide, and mains- meaning there is volume of squirt through a leak jet, air corrector jets, length of squirt, slide plate cutaways, float needle orifice diameters (mostly for fuel pump vs. gravity feed) and so on and so forth. If you're not trying to set any land speed records, stick with a set of carbs that people have experience setting up for your bike, keep it simple and drivable.(IMHO)... But if you ARE trying to set a land speed record, kehin FCR's would be pretty bad ass!

·
Registered
249 Posts
The mk II is good.Amal wanted to produce it,before they were forced down to a price and made the mk I.Mikuni copied the mk II.
Mikuni may have copied the Amal Mk II in looks but the actual internals and tuning capabilities of the Mikuni leave the Amal way behind - I had Mkii's on my T140E and new set which I returned to Amal then opt'd for Mikunis .
There is a price difference Mikuni's are more expensive than the Amals but they are a lot better justifying the price increase.

There are issues with the fitment into the existing air box but that can be overcome with some adjustment to it .

I can't comment on FCR Carbs as I have no experience with them - but at present Mikunis are the way to go for me any way.
Good Luck and let us know which you decide on

.:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Adding to the question of the quality of Wassell mark 1 copies, I bought a pai recently and assumed that would end my tuning woes. Well, I wouldn't buy them again although I have now got them working OK. The problems included: spacing between mounting stud holes not accurate, had to be filed; the main jet holders were only finger tight, leading to a breakdown as main jet holder dropped right out completely on one carb; metal swarf inside a thread, float levels differed on the two carbs I bought, they had 200 needle jet fitted instead of 190 which is standard; all threads not accurately cut, making all the screws tight. Overall a bit of a mess.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeh, don't bother with saving a few pounds on Wassell, just get new Amal Premiers, I wish I had. The Wassells are now working ok but they were shocking when supplied, float levels different, wrong main jet size fitted, and worst of all the main jet holders were only finger tight so dropped out after 100km leaving me stranded on the side of the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts