Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Definitely, 2008 - 2016 EFI models. More power and torque from a standard bike and more reliable.

I should qualify that last comment. The carb bikes are no more or less reliable with regards to the engine, but the CVK carbs are a nightmare when they get older and worn. They're hard to keep a good idle when cold, but do get better when warm.

The EFI models are so much easier to live with. Cold starts are a dream, with reliable idle and easier to tune with mods, just upload a tune correct for your mods.
Respectfully I disagree. Prefire bikes have better camshafts. These bikes were painfully lean from the factory to meet US and Euro emissions. Once properly jetted these bikes run wonderfully. Your statement that CVKs are nightmare when old and worn is misleading. 11 of the 12 highest milage bike bikes reporting on this forum are carbed. Most carbed issues come from improper tuning, Corn Gas and improper storage. Its just a matter of time until we start see seeing EFI headaches...fuel pumps and injectors damaged. There are countless threads on this forum of battery issues with EFI. None of this is a secret. Carbed Bikes are cold blooded at start up. Nature of the beast. If properly tuned you should be off 1/2 choke and idling in half a city block. EFI also brings Canbus. EFI has its pros but it also has its cons.

Its all Blondes, Brunettes and Redheads. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is a reason prefire bikes are so desirable. Made in England, Better build quality and that that beautiful tank. The only draw back to early bike are the Rusty garbage Italian Steel wheels and crappy rear hubs that break spokes. Replacing the wheel with an EFI Thruxton is the ticket. My back up wheel is the original 2001 hub with a Buchanen spokes and new church black aluminum rim.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Respectfully I disagree. Prefire bikes have better camshafts. These bikes were painfully lean from the factory to meet US and Euro emissions. Once properly jetted these bikes run wonderfully. Your statement that CVKs are nightmare when old and worn is misleading. 11 of the 12 highest milage bike bikes reporting on this forum are carbed. Most carbed issues come from improper tuning, Corn Gas and improper storage. Its just a matter of time until we start see seeing EFI headaches...fuel pumps and injectors damaged. There are countless threads on this forum of battery issues with EFI. None of this is a secret. Carbed Bikes are cold blooded at start up. Nature of the beast. If properly tuned you should be off 1/2 choke and idling in half a city block. EFI also brings Canbus. EFI has its pros but it also has its cons.

Its all Blondes, Brunettes and Redheads. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is a reason prefire bikes are so desirable. Made in England, Better build quality and that that beautiful tank. The only draw back to early bike are the Rusty garbage Italian Steel wheels and crappy rear hubs that break spokes. Replacing the wheel with an EFI Thruxton is the ticket. My back up wheel is the original 2001 hub with a Buchanen spokes and new church black aluminum rim.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey Duckman ;
No one can deny or duck your comment about the 2001 thru 2007 T100's having a beautiful gas tank. One of the main reasons I own a 2006 T100 is it has the classiest and sassiest Classic Style Motorcycle Gas tank available, period. Good call on your part.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Me too. However, they’re quite an indulgence these days. Being cool doesn’t make them a good ride, especially compared to the Hinckley models.
My favorite bikes are never the best riding bikes. Best Riding Triumphs might be a wholly different question than favorite. Before I got my 2001, I was riding a 1970 Triumph being sold at a really good price. Starting it was the big issue--it didn't have a choke, you actually had to manually (via a thing a ma jiggy Triumph had) fill the bowl with gas , which forced air out as well, trickle trickle release pull thing. Then there was the kick start. I'm an old man and kick starting just lost it's charm and if you've ever had a kick start swing back --ouch. That said, riding that big old Triumph was cool--not the same easy ride as these post 2001 bikes but still something really cool. I hold that these 60s Triumphs, early 70s are my favorites but not for my kind of riding. I had a 69 Honda prior to the Bonneville. Always got stopped for great long conversations but also spent lots of time by the side of the road fixing a this or that to get back on the bike.

Electronic starting is very nice (though many older bikes have been outfitted with electronic ignition). I remember owning cars in the 70s--quite often, that didn't have air conditioning. Modern bikes sort of feel that way--they got lots of things just plum out of the way.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The correct year of Bonneville is the 2007. And for bonus points, the correct color is black.

The 2007, at least in the second half of the run, had the redesigned rear hub that fixed the problem with breaking spokes (which never existed, but yet went away with the redesign). It had the larger 865 motor, but the smaller pre-EFI gas tank. And it had carbs. Which if I need to explain, you'll never understand. And most importantly, very importantly, it had metal tank badges. People with plastic tank badges think they are happy, but that's only because they have never had metal tank badges.

You could get them with red-on-black tank and a tach, which are very good. But not quite as cool, nor as fast, as the blacked-out version.

There are other years that are nearly as cool, including my 2008. But the pinnacle was 2007. It's just a fact.
Rousing support for one's bike year and with good humor---so important. Got to love our bikes. I've never had a spoke problem nor did I know that was a thing--I will fiddle with them more often just for piece of mind. I feel like my badges are metal but go figure, I never really felt them before. I do have steel rims which are cool but I don't think about them, they're just what are on the bike,. Seat is the big ole seat. I like that they got a bigger motor on there without adding weight. I'm over 500 pounds wet with saddle bags of groceries, rear rack, some tools and some cigars. Happy riding!

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,490 Posts
I may have a chance to put a black and red tank on my Bonnie Black. It is a cool look. And it'll be a fun experiment. Will I retain all that extra horsepower with the non-blacked-out tank, or is the HP just because the motor itself is blacked out? :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
This is a guess that your bike with a red and black tank may be just a bit more powerful than when it has an all black tank. The reason is that red is the color of fire and the more fire power the bike has the more horsepower it will have. You can take that to the bank. After you install the red and black tank be sure to let us know about how much quicker the bike is.

·
Registered
1990 Miata
10 Posts
This has been quite the read.

I am not deep enough in the Bonnie world to understand all of it and as I shop for my 1st motorcycle which I am hoping is a Bonnie. I was told to only for bikes that are EFI.

However the romance can be felt amongst many of the members about the 2007’s.

Is this an era I should explore? To me the Bonneville in itself is poetry in movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,490 Posts
Ah, Mr @Cigar Rider, the carb vs efi guys are but siblings squabbling. It's a nuance, we coalesce in a unified front when facing a non-Bonnie rider. Both are excellent, Bonnies of either flavor are great. As one of the carb aficionados, even I will suggest that 2007 was a while ago. A more recent AC model with EFI wouldn't be a mistake.

As long as it doesn't have a fan and antifreeze, gawd forbid :D

·
Registered
1990 Miata
10 Posts
Ah, Mr @Cigar Rider, the carb vs efi guys are but siblings squabbling. It's a nuance, we coalesce in a unified front when facing a non-Bonnie rider. Both are excellent, Bonnies of either flavor are great. As one of the carb aficionados, even I will suggest that 2007 was a while ago. A more recent AC model with EFI wouldn't be a mistake.

As long as it doesn't have a fan and antifreeze, gawd forbid :D
I’d like my Motorcycle to be just the way I’d buy a Porsche some day.

Air-Cooled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
Which years of the current Triumph twins are the most desirable is a matter of almost as many opinions as there are Triumph owners. There' tends to be the following set of guidelines (there may be other features but this will give you some type of starting point with approximate availability dates :
1 -- The carbed fans (2001-2008).
2 -- The EFI fans (2009 to present).
3 -- The small gas tank devotees (2001-2007).
4 -- The liquid cooled aficionados (2017 to present).
5 -- The air cooled group (2001 to 2016).
6 -- The 790 engine with biggers cams (2001 to about 2006).
7 -- The 865cc gang (from 2006 T100).
8 -- The Bonneville T120 (from 2016).
9 -- The many variants, including the Scramblers (all years).

Which to get depends on your priorities. If price isn't too big an issues then any of the 20 plus years of various models are worth considering given what your preferences are.

For example, I chose a low mileage 2006 865 T100 in excellent condition because it has for me the highly desirable small red and black tank with the closest of all current Bonnevilles to the great looks similar to my 1960's Bonneville, and the 865 easily has sufficient power for a guy who's been riding motorcycles for over 65 years.

It would be worthwhile to search out and read thru some of the triumphrat correspondence to get the various flavors of preferences and then create your own list of important factors from the above list. That should help you focus on a specific subset of the 20 plus years. Good luck, you may need a little as you sort thru your own personal priorities.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 2007 865 Bonneville in black may be the correct bike, but it's hard to beat the 2006 and 2007 865 T100's in black AND RED -- with that red they just might be the quickest too !
Funnily enough, my 2007 looks pretty darn cool with the white and black tank. Even my son, who is completely disinterested in bikes says he likes it! He has never expressed an opinion on a bike before. Having said that, both the red/black and white/black are very handsome. It's Possible in 20 years time that the 2007 will thought of in almost the same vein as the 1968 Meriden bikes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a 69 Honda. I got to a point where I was spending a good deal of good weather time wrenching versus riding. At that point I went a bit modern to a 2001 Triumph Bonneville (been a goal for over 43 years). Bits of upkeep even on a 2001. If I had to get a second bike I'd get the 2017 forward Honda Rebel-just looks joyful and bullet proof.
sir.this is a triumph establishment. theres the door!;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
sir.this is a triumph establishment. theres the door!;)
Ouch. Many folks talk about their rides that led them to Triumph. I think you're guilty of talking about prior bikes you've owned of other manufacturers but let's not get into glass houses and stone throwing. You might be really busy keeping up with commentary that you find distasteful bit similar to a vegetarian at a steakhouse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Which years of the current Triumph twins are the most desirable is a matter of almost as many opinions as there are Triumph owners. There' tends to be the following set of guidelines (there may be other features but this will give you some type of starting point with approximate availability dates :

Which to get depends on your priorities. If price isn't too big an issues then any of the 20 plus years of various models are worth considering given what your preferences are.

For example, I chose a low mileage 2006 865 T100 in excellent condition because it has for me the highly desirable small red and black tank with the closest of all current Bonnevilles to the great looks similar to my 1960's Bonneville, and the 865 easily has sufficient power for a guy who's been riding motorcycles for over 65 years.

It would be worthwhile to search out and read thru some of the triumphrat correspondence to get the various flavors of preferences and then create your own list of important factors from the above list. That should help you focus on a specific subset of the 20 plus years. Good luck, you may need a little as you sort thru your own personal priorities.
good list

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sir are you new here or just antisocial? Many folks talk about their rides that led them to Triumph. You're the first that's actively screwed up commenting on the mere mention of other bikes. Been here myriad years already. All that said you're going to find yourself really busy keeping up with commentary that you find distasteful. You're like a vegetarian at a steakhouse.
wow. lighten up dude. didnt you see the emoji (thats the smiley face). now i have to qualify myself...ive owned every japanese make except yamaha (i want to). a 63 and a 71 sportster. i bought new and 07 bonnie black since sold. So ive been on this forum since back then. I own a 74 suzuki ts 185, and a 83 suzuki gs 1100. i went from a thurnderbird 1600 to a rocket 3 touring to my 13 t 100, all in 12 months time. good day sir! why so serious!o_O just a poor attempt at humor.

·
Registered
454 Posts
wow. lighten up dude. didnt you see the emoji (thats the smiley face). now i have to qualify myself...ive owned every japanese make except yamaha (i want to). a 63 and a 71 sportster. i bought new and 07 bonnie black since sold. So ive been on this forum since back then. I own a 74 suzuki ts 185, and a 83 suzuki gs 1100. i went from a thurnderbird 1600 to a rocket 3 touring to my 13 t 100, all in 12 months time. good day sir! why so serious!o_O just a poor attempt at humor.
I'm not too serious--not in this day and age for sure. the perils of voiceless faceless posting prevails. I could try to add the words --narrator (me) suggests reading aloud after sucking a helium balloon. Peace fellow rider. I value everyone in here for all the safety, keep it on the road and good spirits, back to bouncing my baby to sleep.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like this list.

I think we should stick canbus / vs no-canbus in here somewhere.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts