Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm very happy that I happened to buy a 2006 Scrambler. 865cc. Last carb model, which makes it easy to customise. What I don't like about it is the flimsy electronic setup, which I totally overhauled with Motogadget m-unit v2 system.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
They’re all good in their own way. I never thought anything would “move“ me as much as an 865 until I got my T120, which I’ve come to realise is the bike I’ve always wanted.

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,490 Posts
By sheer luck (I didn't know anything about Triumphs), I got a post-EFI pre-CanBUS bike, 2009. Best of both worlds. Having always had carb bikes I love the EFI, and the lack of CanBUS has allowed me to do a lot more customisation. For example replacing the entire instrument cluster with a single electronic gauge.
My wife has one of those. While I don't agree, it is a defendable point :D If you prefer EFI, that's the one for sure, for the reasons you state.

All the year stuff is country specific. I didn't know EFI hit some countries as early as 2007, as @Babaganoush mentioned. I know it was in Canada and elsewhere in 2008.

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,490 Posts
Whah! Nice. My 2008 is plastic front fender, metal rear. Wife's 2009 too. You Ausies have all the luck ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Really liked the T100 se, for me it was the best looking Bonnie (was it 2014 it came out?).

·
Premium Member
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
100 Posts
Reactions: DriftlessRider

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me too. However, they’re quite an indulgence these days. Being cool doesn’t make them a good ride, especially compared to the Hinckley models.
I have the same opinion. One day I want to get at last one British bike from the 50`s/60`s, but right now the Hinckley models comply perfectly with my needs, that's a reliable and classic look motorcycle for everyday use (more precisely the 2001-2015 batch).

·
Registered
1969 T100c
61 Posts
@CanberraR3 & @gauchospy your not wrong. I guess I'm talking aesthetics really as my Triumph is purely for having fun... which is meat to be riding but this actually includes a fair bit of tinkering too! 😆👍

·
Registered
454 Posts
In the beauty category, the old ones are hard to overcome. Part of the fun of one, must be to work on them as well.
I had a 69 Honda. I got to a point where I was spending a good deal of good weather time wrenching versus riding. At that point I went a bit modern to a 2001 Triumph Bonneville (been a goal for over 43 years). Bits of upkeep even on a 2001. If I had to get a second bike I'd get the 2017 forward Honda Rebel-just looks joyful and bullet proof.

·
Vendor
2,441 Posts
Definitely, 2008 - 2016 EFI models. More power and torque from a standard bike and more reliable.

I should qualify that last comment. The carb bikes are no more or less reliable with regards to the engine, but the CVK carbs are a nightmare when they get older and worn. They're hard to keep a good idle when cold, but do get better when warm.

The EFI models are so much easier to live with. Cold starts are a dream, with reliable idle and easier to tune with mods, just upload a tune correct for your mods.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The correct year of Bonneville is the 2007. And for bonus points, the correct color is black.

The 2007, at least in the second half of the run, had the redesigned rear hub that fixed the problem with breaking spokes (which never existed, but yet went away with the redesign). It had the larger 865 motor, but the smaller pre-EFI gas tank. And it had carbs. Which if I need to explain, you'll never understand. And most importantly, very importantly, it had metal tank badges. People with plastic tank badges think they are happy, but that's only because they have never had metal tank badges.

You could get them with red-on-black tank and a tach, which are very good. But not quite as cool, nor as fast, as the blacked-out version.

There are other years that are nearly as cool, including my 2008. But the pinnacle was 2007. It's just a fact.
You sir, are a man of great taste and sophistication. You are so right. I just happen to have a black 2007 T100.

Cheers

FB

21 - 40 of 77 Posts