Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for yet another thread but I’m really struggling with which air-cooled Bonneville to go with. The price, 70’s theme and wheel and tire combination on the Mag-wheel model is what I want. The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger all these years is that I’m fairly big (6’2”, 210 lbs, all legs) and worried I will look like a circus bear, but I’m getting over it.

So with that, I’m trying to replicate the riding position on my current ZRX, which I really like. My search for shocks is leading me to Ikon. Per cycle-ergo.com the ZRX seat height is 31.4 while the mag-wheel Bonneville is 30.7. From what I've read here going with 10mm more shock length is no big deal, which gets me to 30.1. That should be close enough for the girls that I date.

I assume there are gads of bar options out there. Anyone have a favorite?

That leaves foot pegs. I hope stock is close enough because I crapped my pants the last time I shopped for rear sets (for an SV). Anyone out there have a set they recommend?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm 6'4", 175lbs, so I have similar ergo concerns as you. I went with a taller seat (BC Slammer), switched the right and left pegs (puts the peg surface down about 1/2" more), and all that has translated into a much more comfortable bike. My next plan of attack is a handlebar with less pullback than stock, as I have the arms of chimpanzee. Eyeing the Biltwell Trackers for that, and I've heard primarily great things about them. Best thing is they're still high enough where rearsets aren't needed

Have you considered maintaining stock spring height and just upgrading suspension for your weight/riding style?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you considered maintaining stock spring height and just upgrading suspension for your weight/riding style?
I’m definitely upgrading the shocks and fork springs. Ikon seems to be a good value, which are set-length units. From what I’ve read going 10 mm (less than a half an inch) either way is hardly noticeable so my plan was to go up at least 10. I’m open to going even higher as long as it doesn’t make the bike squirrely. Is this a bad plan in your opinion? I weigh quite a bit more than you.

Thank you for the tip on Biltwell bars and swapping foot pegs. I’ve heard bad things about the stock seat but I’m going to try to make it work. If it fails then I’ll look into taller seats.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I’m definitely upgrading the shocks and fork springs. Ikon seems to be a good value, which are set-length units. From what I’ve read going 10 mm (less than a half an inch) either way is hardly noticeable so my plan was to go up at least 10. I’m open to going even higher as long as it doesn’t make the bike squirrely. Is this a bad plan in your opinion? I weigh quite a bit more than you.

Thank you for the tip on Biltwell bars and swapping foot pegs. I’ve heard bad things about the stock seat but I’m going to try to make it work. If it fails then I’ll look into taller seats.
If it were my bike, I'd just make sure to raise the front and back equally to prevent tank slapping. 10mm in front without raising the back seems like a small enough difference to where it'd probably still be safe, but maybe someone who's done it on a bonneville can chime in and confirm.

The stock seat is murderous after about an hour. If you're hellbent on keeping the seat stock, an Air Hawk might be in order. The thing truly is horrible.

Are you looking to raise it because you're worried about bottoming it out otherwise? Some big folks ride Bonnevilles, and most of them keep the suspension height the same, as upgraded suspension set for your weight and riding style is more than enough

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you looking to raise it because you're worried about bottoming it out otherwise? Some big folks ride Bonnevilles, and most of them keep the suspension height the same, as upgraded suspension set for your weight and riding style is more than enough
I’m only considering my options when I order shocks since the Ikons I’m looking at are not ride-height adjustable. There’s about 6/10 of an inch difference in height between the SE and T100. +10 mm shock height will nearly close the difference. From what I’ve read +10 mm shock height makes no difference in handling. Assuming that’s true fork height would be a non-issue. On most sportbikes I’ve owned riders raise the rear ~10 mm as a matter of course to speed up steering.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I’m only considering my options when I order shocks since the Ikons I’m looking at are not ride-height adjustable. There’s about 6/10 of an inch difference in height between the SE and T100. +10 mm shock height will nearly close the difference. From what I’ve read +10 mm shock height makes no difference in handling. Assuming that’s true fork height would be a non-issue. On most sportbikes I’ve owned riders raise the rear ~10 mm as a matter of course to speed up steering.
I don't think raising it 10mm will have any negative consequences, either. I say go for it. From what I hear, Dave at Ikon is one of the best around

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Why not fix it right while doing the upgrade? Get some F3 fork tubes and raise the front/gain the benefit of cartridge forks in the process...then the rear can go thruxton length w/ whatever quality shock you choose.

Here's a couple pics of my thruxton with mag wheels:

This also buys you needed ground clearance so you can play ricky racer to your hearts content - or allows you to lower the pegs more if need be.

Cheers,

--Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts