Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Legend, that is. I came home yesterday afternoon to see that my beauty was not as I left it when I left in the morning. I noticed that it was much further up in the parking space and no longer on the center stand. ( I live in an apartment complex). The cover was still on, though, but I was still begining to freak out a little. I go to check the bike out and it was as I thought it was; some dumas ran right into it pulling into the parking space. They covered the bike back up, picked it up, and just drove off. It was the middle of the day and I had a silver cover on it large enough to cover a rocket III and they still ran into it. I have already spoken to the adjuster and here is what is wrong with the bike: bar end mirrors broken off, dented tank, broken clutch cover, bent handlebars, broken foot brake, bent swing arm, and a few other things. The bike is obviously worth more as parts than it is whole because it will cost twice what the bike is worth to fix everything. I just wanted to say that I hope many really bad things happen to the horses ass that did this to my bike and didn't even have the courtesy to leave so much as a sorry note. I loved that bike and now I cannot find one to replace it with seeing that the triples aren't manufactured anymore with the exception of the S3. The thing that really hurts the most is that I cannot replace the bike even if there was one to replace it with because I am about to buy a new home. Timing is everything in this world and the demise of my baby couldn't be any worse. I just needed to vent to folks whou could understand how I feel because my wife is, to say the least, not quite as upset as I am over the whole ordeal. She almost seems happy to tell you the truth. Oh, well, I will still keep reading and dreaming for when the day comes I can replace my baby.

[ This message was edited by: bigeffinpimp on 2007-01-30 10:28 ]

·
Registered
492 Posts
What a shame, sounds like they ran over it, not into it. Oh well, buy the house and keep an eye out for people parting out a bike. You can put this back together. Kind of like the 6 million dollar man, Make it better, faster,

Chin up, man and good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know how you feel. I had a 91 CBR 600 That someone
hit in the apt complex where I lived several years ago. The
bike was covered when it was hit. The jerk who hit it did at
least put it back on the sidestand, but left no note explaining
what had happened. I knew something was wrong when I
returned and noticed a tear in the cover. I was more
fortunate because the bike was not destoyed, just some
road rash on the left side fairing panel. I think it must have
been hit only hard enought to knock it off the sidestand, as
there was no damage other than the fairing panel, and slight
scuffing of the bar end.

I hope you can find a way to get it fixed someday, or find
a suitable replacement. Non-riders just don't understand
what our rides mean to us.

·
Registered
962 Posts
That sucks, BEP. How unfortunate for you. Good luck with the new home. I hope you're able to get back on 2-wheels soon, one way or another.

I loved that bike and now I cannot find one to replace it with seeing that the triples aren't manufactured anymore with the exception of the S3.
There are other triples still being made besides the S3 (Tiger, Sprint, and Daytona), but they are not at all the same bike as our triple-classics. Luckily there are many good used bargains on triple-classics, so maybe you can replace it someday.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I did a search for Legend in the Classified Parts for sale and it finds quite a few bits that have been or are currently listed. You might have some luck that way. You might also try the Yahoo forum to see if anyone there has parts they are willing to part with. It seems the biggest problem would be the swing arm. Can that be straightened? I guess it depends on how/where it is bent.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
wow my deepest condolences . as texastri said the swing arm is the biggie , a lil over $900 . tank new depending on year is between $700-800 with factory paint .

i take it the bikes insured . what are they offering you and are you gonna buy it back too ? maybe take the money and buy it back for cheap and hold onto it til you can gather the parts to fix it .

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Take the advice that a wisened Triumph owner once told me: "Crashing a bike is just a good excuse to customize". He had the sweetest '76 Bonnie Cafe Racer I had ever seen as proof of the fact....

T-Bird/Legend parts can be had on eBay for dimes on the dollar - don't dispair - go for it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I´m very sorry. I think to know how you feel because I´m always afraid of my Legend being hit or dropped by some careless motorist if I don´t find a better place to park than just behind the car. The thing worsens if a grey coloured cover is put on it because I think it will be more difficult to see. Anyway it´s not forgivable what someone did to yours. Be patient, try to repair the Legend when you can or meanwhile you can purchase a cheaper model just to keep riding. greetings.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Bummer -- pity party over.

Now to look over what these guys have done to their bikes. Lot's of fun to be had. Look over the what fits from other bikes (like the adjustable Kawi levers -- less than $20 on the aftermarket). Yes, new homes eat you for a while, but bit-by-bit....

I have obught a great tank for less than $100 (no badges). Unintentionally missed dented ones for a lot less. keep an eye here, on Ebay, and on Craigslist to find other bits (If frames can be straightened, so can swing arms -- presuming you can't find one).

Also look over bike bandit for drawings and part numbers for a what fits what. Sometimes the differences don't matter. Ask some of these guys here. A lot of knowledge here. Some of the suppliers in GB seem to keep stuff (and know what fits) for the critical things. This is where the japanese suppliers end up working out real well. A Jap junkyard may have a lot of the little pieces (or things that can make it a 'custom').

May as well enjoy it -- your choices have been made for you! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure if you still have your motorcycle, but I have some parts you may be looking for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts