Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Far from original 3TA .

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  StuartMac 
#1 ·
I've been given this to build for a friend . The mechanical stuff was straightforward enough but the electrics are a nightmare . I think it's been converted to negative earth .
Tire Motorcycle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi,

Firstly, welcome to the right Forum for the bike. :) However, I've moved the thread to the main CVV Forum, where more people will see it.

electrics are a nightmare
Handy would be some clarification of the original bike's year, as all the original bodywork is gone, the ignition switch(?) appears to be '66-on, it and possibly a lighting switch(?) are in the 'naked model' position on the sidepanel, but the headlamp shell has the '68-'78 lighting switch ...

Frame number should be on the left-hand side of the steering head, engine number should be on the left-hand crankcase just under the cylinder block (just behind the lower exhaust pipe ...). Both are probably a five-figure number (hopefully the same) prefixed by "H", all either prefixed of suffixed by "3TA" if it is. You can post them on the Forum or in a private "Conversation" to me.

Knowing where to start, the electrics on these old heaps are pretty simple.

think it's been converted to negative earth
Not a big deal in itself, electrics still work exactly the same, just the battery negative terminal has been connected to the frame whereas originally the positive terminal was connected to the frame. Problem for original components like rectifier and Zener diode but, if the electrics have been converted, those components won't be in use (present?) anyway, later components work independently of 'earth'.

build for a friend
love those pipes!
If your friend uses the bike, unless he want a burns study on his left leg, he'll need a heatshield over the pipes at least in the area above the footrests. Amhikt ...

Hth.

Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.