Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2021 Street Triple R
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Deals Gap Resort is closed for the season but I ran the "Dragon" anyway on a cool Wednesday, 11-17-21. There were maintenance crews working at the resort but only a few bikes and cars were seen. When the road is cold with loose leaves in places, I take it easier, not trusting my contact patches as much as on warm tarmac. Still, the Dragon's 318 curves are glorious and the Street Triple 765 is a true precision scalpel -- my favorite all-time bike. The RapidBike fuel module and Michelin Power GP's (32F & 30R PSI) are impressive, complimentary mods for mountain riding. During winter, I look forward to occasionally warm days (50's+) for Dragon slaying. Life is good on a Triumph, especially when the Dragon is nearby. 馃槢
Cheers from the Smokies...!

Sky Property Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Window Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Plant Sky Road surface Branch Natural landscape

Registered
2021 Street Triple R
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love the area. We will be at our cabin up there near Fontana for Thanksgiving weekend. Supposed to be cool, but I'm looking forward to getting my new Speed RS on the hill.
You probably know the Fontana Village restaurant has an excellent Thanksgiving Day dinner. I took my whole family there last year. Enjoy the curves (if the weather is good, I'll be looking for a Speed RS). :) 馃憤

Registered
2022 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS
You probably know the Fontana Village restaurant has an excellent Thanksgiving Day dinner. I took my whole family there last year. Enjoy the curves (if the weather is good, I'll be looking for a Speed RS). :) 馃憤
Yeah, I do know that the restaurant offers that, but we will not be up there until Thursday night. Hoping to hit the hill Friday and/or Saturday, depending on the weather.

Registered
2009 Speed Triple
Been a long time since I鈥檝e been there. I rode my Kawasaki Z1000 from near the Pacific Ocean in Oregon to NC just to hit The Dragon. What a thrill that entire experience was. The Smokey Mountains are one of the few places I would consider leaving the PNW for.

Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
Living the dream!

I could get lost in that last photo.

Registered
2021 Street Triple R
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rode my Kawasaki Z1000 from near the Pacific Ocean in Oregon to NC just to hit The Dragon. What a thrill that entire experience was.
Wow...that is dedication..! I salute you.

Reactions: WolfNman

Registered
Been a long time since I鈥檝e been there. I rode my Kawasaki Z1000 from near the Pacific Ocean in Oregon to NC just to hit The Dragon. What a thrill that entire experience was. The Smokey Mountains are one of the few places I would consider leaving the PNW for.
I just sold my Z1000 a few weeks ago so that I could get a new Speed Triple. I rode that bike for nearly 10 years, but never a journey that big. Hats off to you, pal.

Registered
2009 Speed Triple
Wow...that is dedication..! I salute you.
Thank you! It was definitely outside of my comfort zone. I was a young man with a motorcycle and knew it was one of my last opportunities to do something wild before I settled in for a career. I鈥檓 happy I took the trip. 28 days and almost 10k miles. I camped for a lot of it. Met some really amazing people all across the US. It didn鈥檛 cost much either.

I just sold my Z1000 a few weeks ago so that I could get a new Speed Triple. I rode that bike for nearly 10 years, but never a journey that big. Hats off to you, pal.
Thank you and I hope you enjoy the new Speed. I had an 05 Z1000. I had it for about 10 years as well. Put almost 30k miles on it. I sold it this summer when I bought my 09 Speed Triple. I will always love that bike and cherish the memories but the Speed is more inline with what I want now. Doesn鈥檛 have the big top end but so much torque it just makes me laugh. Here鈥檚 a picture of mine below. I did a lot of modifications.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Registered
Thank you and I hope you enjoy the new Speed. I had an 05 Z1000. I had it for about 10 years as well. Put almost 30k miles on it. I sold it this summer when I bought my 09 Speed Triple. I will always love that bike and cherish the memories but the Speed is more inline with what I want now. Doesn鈥檛 have the big top end but so much torque it just makes me laugh. Here鈥檚 a picture of mine below. I did a lot of modifications.

View attachment 770835
Mine was a 3rd gen, 2010. I loved that bike and since we have a cabin 12 minutes from The Dragon, that's what I built it for. Loved riding that bike up there, and the surrounding roads. The majority of the miles on the bike were either The Dragon, or Moonshiner 28. Looking forward to my first trip with the Speed this weekend.
Here's a little shot of the Z.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Registered
2021 Street Triple R
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a Z1000 also. :LOL: I thought it was a tad heavy but it was a great street bike with a fine engine!

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts