Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am the proud owner of a collection of parts that add up to a 1994 Super III. Hopefully by the spring it will even look like one. The one troubling thing to many people was that the VIN did not contain standardly accepted 372 associated with Super IIIs, instead it has the 370 normally associated with normal Daytonas. I have had more than one person claim that I was ripped off, and that mine is a fake. I was not concerned, because it had all the right parts, so who cares.

However, I recieved an email from Triumph recently asking me too update my info, and enter a contest for an Ipad. The interesting thing about the page where I updated my info was there was a spot for bikes in my garage. If you own a new Triumph they ask for the VIN, and the model fills in by itself. So I punch in my vin for my Speedie, and it comes up Speed Triple 900 Diablo Black. I then punch in the vin for my parts collection and lo and behold, it comes up Super III 900 Racing yellow.

I guess if Triumph tells me its a Super III who am I to argue.

I am sure most of us have recieved the same email. We might want to book mark the page as a quick reference check for any bikes we might want to buy in the future. It is probably more authoritative than some vin decoder on the net made by fellow bike geeks.

Also if you were one of those who accused some poor guy from Alberta of trying to sell a bogus Super III a few years back, you might want to apologize or at least say a quiet mea culpa. I checked his vin and it was a Super III also.

I will post pics as the restoration progresses.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I find it very hard to believe anyone is faking Super IIIs, given that it would almost certainly end up costing a good deal more than it's worth. I find it very easy to believe that Triumph played fast and loose with the VINs, given that my bike (and, AFAICT, all '04 RSs) has two VINs...

Still, very nice that Triumph knows, and looking forward to the pics!

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have a 92 trophy and all the parts from a same era Trident,except the engine and frame.
Am toying with the idea of converting the trophy to the trident as many of the parts are like new,the Trophy is cosmetically challenged because of its age and huge mileage.
I would like to spray the engine black as well and to do it properly it needs to be stripped.
Not worried about keeping it original as I use it alot and I'll never sell it but would like to give the old girl a facelift:)

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
That Red and Black Trident would have to be one of the most collectable looking Hinckley Triumphs IMHO, nothing pretentious, not trying to be a jap or american clone or a so called 'modern classic', it just is what it is, a one of a kind British bike that looks all class.
If I could find one in great condition before the asking price on them starts going silly I'd snap it up tomorrow..
Sorry for the thread hijack but someone mentioned a trident and then there was that avatar...LOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts