Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from a Newbie on this site, I have a 2011 Thunderbird and in the 2 months i have owned it racked up just over 1000 miles (not bad as for a month of them 2 months i have been stuck on a Big Ship working)

As a result of working on said Big Ship for 4 months at a time i get alot of spare head time where random thoughts and designs pop into my head. So bear with me on this and i would be interested to know if any of you are working on anything similar.

I Like the look of the BatWing Fairings as used on classic harleys and big cruisers for years, Though i also think that the old round headlight thing has been done to death on these too. I am a Fan of Hondas CTX 1300 and BMW's new Bagger, as they have taken the old Fairing and given it thier own Brand identity. I am looking to do the same thing with my TBird, When i return home I will have a 3d printer at my disposal so this should be a doable project.

My Design thoughts are:
Take an instantly recognised Triumph Headlight (sprint 1050 is my current favourite)
Design a mounting bracket to the bike for a static (not attached to Forks) Fairing
Make it blend with the lines of the bike.
If possible a power screen to add height to the screen for long distance touring.

Software for design:
Blender to work with initial shapes
Solidworks to make the shapes the correct dimensions and split large pieces into a Jigsaw for reassembly and cover with carbonfibre to give final strength and asthetics.

Your thoughts and ideas are welcome, please discuss.
Regards
Parky

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, I like your design ideas, especially your modelling to achieve a desirable shape. Were you going to cnc cut a mould to get the shape into the real world. I too have made carbon and fibreglass components for my bikes but used my surfboard making skills to shape a mould from polystyrene then cover it with carbon. Nice to have the model though to view shapes isometrically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yes, I like your design ideas, especially your modelling to achieve a desirable shape. Were you going to cnc cut a mould to get the shape into the real world. I too have made carbon and fibreglass components for my bikes but used my surfboard making skills to shape a mould from polystyrene then cover it with carbon. Nice to have the model though to view shapes isometrically. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The fairing itself was purchased from "Vector Fairings" It was made for a Road King, and the supplied mounting brackets replaced with custom made ones to place the fairing in the proper place on the bike.
The gauges, GPS and power adapter are all custom work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parky, I love the creative thought. I had similar designs with the Batwing fairing, but fork mounted. I moved the gauges up into it as well.
If you're interested, here's a write-up on the project. http://www.thunderbird1600.com/csp/thunderbird/ForumPosts.csp?InId=14524&InCategoryId=0&InLocation=(General-Accessories.-New Batwing <FONT Style=&InSkin=&InPage=1&ItemsPerPage=15
I Like what you have done there, i have similar ideas for a dash with a mount for my phone to use as multimedia/GPS device.

My concerns about large bar Mounted fairing would be are there any effects on handling, IE wobble at any specific speed? That is a big reason for going with fixed to frame instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I like your design ideas, especially your modelling to achieve a desirable shape. Were you going to cnc cut a mould to get the shape into the real world. I too have made carbon and fibreglass components for my bikes but used my surfboard making skills to shape a mould from polystyrene then cover it with carbon. Nice to have the model though to view shapes isometrically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Initial modelling will be done in Blender to get an idea for the shape, I am already familiar with this program it is a very powerful open source (Free) 3d modelling program.

I then need to teach myself as i go SolidWorks which is a professional CAD program to get the final shape to the correct sizes and i can also create the design drawings for the mounting frame.

The Idea is to take the model of the fairing itself and cut it into small jigsaw, each piece will be 3d printed and reassembed to create a latice backed frame with a light infil. over the reassembled Jigsaw when it is all aligned and fitted to the brackets to prevent any warping I planned to lay a single layer of carbon fibre.

I have never done any fibreglass/laminating before so i am relying on Friends, You Tube and any advice i can get off everyone like yourself on here.

Regards
Lee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had a bit of time to work on the design in Gimp (Free photoshop) and have a reasonably nice look (I think anyways) it uses most of the stock fairing from the sprint st 1050 so retaining the Triumph Branded look. Will post a pic later if i can. the width of the headlight lends itself well to the required for upperbody wind protection just have to work out a mechanism to raise a screen for cruising runs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here we go, this is the line drawing of the Sprint and TBird, In proper scale to each other so the Part of the fairing i am using for reference is the right size in the final 3d model.
The lower line will be an accent line in the final model with the upper line going over the tank to replace the chromed insert and provide structural support to mount the fairing.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok as a former Sprint 1050 owner, I have to say two things:

1) The design is very distinctive, but would definitely change the character of the Thunderbird radically. We are talking Valkyrie Rune territory.
2) The lamp modules themselves (at stock position of the lamps behind the HID-style projector lenses) make for very narrow light coverage, especially the high beam. A brighter lamp might fix things, but any more work than that, and you're going to be messing with optics equations.

Other than that, this is a very distinctive and fun fairing project! Please do post updates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am still working on the 3D model for this project, having moved house just before buying the bike I am halfway through building the shed to keep it in, I work away from home a lot so this project could take a bit of time. On the plus side when the final model is ready I have access to a reasonable sized 3D printer in work now so the fabrication should be quick when I get there.

gerhard0217 thanks for the information on that headlight, does anyone have suggestions for a better performing triumph headlight of similar shape maybe the 675 would work. I would like to stick to a triumph headlight.

My point is to change the character of the bike, there are many who like the traditional cruiser look on motorbikes but it is mot for me while I do like the performance, handling and comfort of the t-bird I also like to be a bit different and show what they can look like.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just be aware that the higher center of gravity caused from the fairing will affect the handling.
It's not huge, but it is there. For me, it's worth it because of the comfort gained.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts