Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a pair of crash bobbins for my Sprint ST, and i wondered how difficult it would be to remove the side panels of the fairing only to fit the bobbins? Are there any nasties I could encounter when removing the panels, and how long should it roughly take to remove each panel, bearing in mind that I have not done this before. Thank you.

·
3,008 Posts
Removing the plastics is pretty much a cakewalk

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's not hard. There are no ugly interlocking tabs like on many other motorcycles with upper and lower fairings. Take your time. Maybe look at some videos of others doing work and you can see what's needed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If your bike is a 1050 then there are interlock tabs to consider. Since this site upgrade/change, I usually have no idea what model or year OP's are discussing.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That's the tab I was thinking of Fred. Dealer broke both on my first service on both my '05 and '06, even though I warned them when I dropped off the '06 for service. They of course denied responsibility.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I must admin this thing is a nonsense. I glued them numerous times because it's so fragile and there is no way to locate them precisely before removing the small panel.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
If the OP has a 955, the radiator fairings (the little black ones inside) have to be disconnected to get the side fairings out. Be VERY careful with the amount of twist on the bolts, both in removal and installation. The tabs are, as noted above with the 1050's, very fragile. I put antiseize on all of them, and nylon washers where they weren't.

·
Registered
369 Posts
On the 1050 this infill panel was designed to be removed after the upper cockpit infill panels are removed, well documented in the service manual. The small locking tab at the rear end can then exit the lower fairing notch. Easiest fix is a small black nylon screw bolted into a matching nut secured with epoxy to the underside of the upper fairing. The design team likely wanted clean lines but a factory installed Druze type fitting would have been much better since mechanics are unlikely to look for hidden attachment points and many just start prying when something doesn't move easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts