Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I laid my D650 down in a u turn of all things at like 10-15mph. Scratched the hell outta the right bellypan. So I bought tornado red and lacqure to repaint it, but I want to fix the scratches myself. How do I do that?

I guess the first step is finding out what type plastics my farings are made out of so I know what to get for the repair.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fine, I'll read the other threads. You guys don't habve to stare at me like I'm dumb...
First off fix your attitude problem maybe?

Secondly there is tons of information on the net as to how to repair scratches, just google it... Its not like you had to make a specific thread in this section for such a discussed thing as scratches on fairings then complain that you didnt get an answer.

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
If the fairing isn't cracked, it doesn't matter too much, but if it is, use ABS cement. You can get a lifetime supply from Home Depot or a plumbing supply house for less than $5. I would just use plain old bondo on the scratches if they are deep enough to use filler. I don't know how well it would stick, though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If the fairing isn't cracked, it doesn't matter too much, but if it is, use ABS cement. You can get a lifetime supply from Home Depot or a plumbing supply house for less than $5. I would just use plain old bondo on the scratches if they are deep enough to use filler. I don't know how well it would stick, though.
If it's cracked I would not use ABS cement but rather carbon fiber or glassfiber (the stuff the fairing is made of)

but it really depends on the type of damage, that's why i want to see a picture!

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
If it's cracked I would not use ABS cement but rather carbon fiber or glassfiber (the stuff the fairing is made of)
The stock fairings are plastic, not fiberglass or cf.

Will's suggestion of ABS cement is a good one, or you can get a two part plastic repair epoxy at an automotive paint supplier. You can also reinforce the seam using plastic mesh.

Fiberglass will work but the ABS cement and epoxy are much easier to work with for those who don't have experience with fiberglass and are arguably just as strong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have used fiberglass, epoxy, bondo, and plastic resin. Fiberglass will work but does not stick 100%. THe edges have a tendency to curl up. Bondo sticks well if the plastic is roughed up with a grinder or 60 grit equivalent.

Be sure to use a feather-fill primer over the bondo and a flex additive to your paint.

Then again, for a belly pan you could just wash it with thinner and shoot it flat black. That way you can just paint it instead of cleaning it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts