Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is currently another thread about excessive engine/exhaust heat. I'm sure I'm "stoking the debate", but, my '01 ST gets pretty hot here in the Southeast during the summer months. I removed the belly fairing to see what the bike looks like without it........ I'd like your comments (good and/or bad) on the look........ Also, I haven't ridden yet to check for improvement on a hot day, so do you all think it will help or maybe make it ride hotter?
Thanks,
Mike O'Keefe

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kinda looks unfinished or someone stole the bellypan off youre bike,were not that lucky here in ireland to get days that are that hot.:)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Personally, I like the look of the belly pan on. But that's just me. It's YOUR bike. Give it a try.:D It's not like it's that hard to take off and put back on. If it helps your heat situation, go for it. And it doesn't look bad. I just prefer the belly pan.

---Charlie

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed the pan on the other side and put the hard bags on...........I'm not liking the looks too well either. I can put the bolts back in the bottom holes of the upper farings by buying nuts and rubber washers to help make it look a little more natural. Here's another picture........This may be a compromise I can live with if helps when the weather gets over 90deg.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I had a 2000 St, and I didn't think the heat was bad. Of course, I didn't get to ride it when it got hot. I wrecked it in March, and it only got up to about 65 back then. I have a 2002 ST now, and the heat doesn't seem bad to me at all. I am wearing thick cycle jeans, and heavy boots. What kind of heat does your temp indicator give you? Mine is always on the bottom area of the gauge.

---Charlie

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My temperature guage stays at or below the 1/4 mark, even on hot days. Heat is only a problem above 90 degrees. We get a lot of 90+ days through much of the summer. The frame below the fuel tank (especially on the right side) can get almost too hot to touch for more than a few seconds........Please don't get me wrong, I love the bike. It runs great, handles, and is comfortable. I plan to keep it for a long time. I am just looking for ways to ride as comfy as possible in all conditions.

Mike

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
I have an '04 Sprint ST and it gets pretty hot here in summer with mid 30's Celsius being normal and occasionally up around 40ish at Xmas and up near 100% humidity.

I have no problem with the heat except in heavy traffic which I almost never to anyway.

Look I have ridden a goodly number of litre sports bikes and I can assure you on the heat side of things the Sprint 955 is way down the list.

The R1 will cook your leg even when you are not in traffic.

My Sprint is no hotter than my Daytona 955 or the Gixxer 600 I had before the Sprint. IN fact the GSX R600 was considerably worse in traffic.

But each to their own I say.

For me it doesn't look right without the bellypan but that is just me.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Take it off

I worked for a Porsche repair shop some time ago and we used to take the bottom engine pan cover off the models that had them. (not all of them as some customers were true believers and liked their engines to run hot)
Living in Birmingham, Alabama it gets really hot and humid for a good part of the year-this cooled the engine somewhat -it was worthwhile to do it. I would take that bottom off and check the temps with a laser temp reader to see what effect it has. I think you will see some changes. I surely would do it for the summer if I rode in town a good bit at low speeds in traffic -----
Give it a try!!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I don't like the look personally but its is YOUR bike so the real question is do you like the look or not. If you do run it, if you don't then don't.

I can only imagine what it is like riding down there in the heat. When it hits 90 and 95% humidity up here it is almost unbearable to ride. The frame gets hot and blows on you legs, it sucks but the sacrifices we must make are totally worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my opinon the pic doesn't look bad. It may look better or it may look worse up close and in person. Pictures just never do things justice, But thats the whole part of owning a motorcycle. Is that it's very easy to customize and make it your own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts