Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Most of the other pommies on here, will have, just like me, been brought up on 'Brains Faggots' They are meatballs made of all of the bits of a pig that usually get thrown away in most civilised countries and come in a delicious 'west country sauce' as it says on the package. The rich west country sauce tastes suspiciously like regular gravy.
I took my new, young Australian wife to the UK for the first time in 2006 and I was keen for her to sample all the best things from the UK, like Felinfoel Beer, Faggots and a tour of the Triumph factory. It wasn`t a memorable holiday for her though. She hated the warm beer, was bored at the Triumph factory (at that time she owned a Ducati so it was understandable) and the faggots were a disaster.
Her first taste of a faggot, was traumatic. She took a mouthful of faggot and just gagged. "This tastes just wrong" she cried, "In fact, it`s offal!" and she spat it all out. She was right, of course, Brains faggots are nothing more than balls of offal in gravy. I just remembered them as being a really tasty treat, when I was a kid

The one result I did have was Rissoles. Not the Australian type but the traditional West Wales, corn beef and potato Rissoles in breadcrumbs. She loved them and has been trying to cook them at home (unsucessfuly) ever since. It`s hard, it`s a secret recipe, only Welsh people can cook them...

So, now we`ve dispensed with all the camp innuendo, what`s your favourite British food?

and do you like faggots?

I don`t know why but I have spooky psychic feeling that this thread will get a lot of hits...:rolleyes:

·
29,945 Posts
Well, was never much into those faggots. I remember laughing like hell at the advert for them for some reason that escapes me. Now - a good meatball, possibly venison and pork - that's a wondrous thing.

Fave British foods, in no particular order:

Lancashire Hot Pot
Shepherds Pie (I make a killer one)
Cottage pie (I make a killer one of these too)
Steak and Kidney pie
Steak and kidney pudding
Mixed grill
Irish Stew (not going to debate boundaries here)
Bubble and squeek
Rumbledethumps
A decent ploughmans, but only when accompanied by an appropriate pint of ale
Countless fish dishes from coastal towns
Fish and chips, but preferably as lunch when stopped on a bike ride at a coastal village - like Burnham on Crouch
Scotch pies
Scotch eggs (home made, not the crappy ones wrapped in plastic at the store)
Pork pies (Made by a local butcher not the store ones again)
Sunday roasts (I make killer roasts, me)
Kedgeree (strictly speaking Indian in origin)

There's other stuff too. I haven't even touched on dessert yet, like jam roly poly, and suet puddings.

Don't think I won't be back with more!

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
The one result I did have was Rissoles. Not the Australian type but the traditional West Wales, corn beef and potato Rissoles in breadcrumbs. She loved them and has been trying to cook them at home (unsucessfuly) ever since. It`s hard, it`s a secret recipe, only Welsh people can cook them...
Sounds good! Alright buddy, cough up the recipe!!!

Fave Brit foods.

What Prop said - I mean he's got a good list there!!!

Plus:

Vindaloo -that's British isn't it!
Veal and ham pie.
Curry and chips - you know that yellow sludge poured on a paper tray of chips. Yummy!
British cheese!!!!! Lancashire, Cheshire, Wenslydale, real Cheddar - not that north american orange crap, Stilton (without all the fruit stuff people put in to make it sweeter).
Blackpudding - fried
Haggis!!! Yes!!!
Roast potatoes
Yorkshire pudding and gravy
Lamb

·
29,945 Posts
+1 Haggis - on all that - especially the cheese. There are about a million different cheeses in Britain, and they're all great.

I found an excellent genuine imported stilton here recently. I immediately rushed home with it, to enjoy it with several glasses of Port.

Didn't do my Gout any good, but delicious!

I forgot about curry sauce on Chips - enjoyed many a plate load of that while at University in Lancaster. Happy days!

Lamb - oh yes - roasted rack of lamb, along with the required roasted potatoes and Yorkshire puddings (Like I said - I do killer roasts, me).

Chicken and Mushroom pie.

And sausage - proper stuff made by local butchers - cumberland sausage for example. Excellent.

And yes. Black pudding - as part of an immense fry up. :thumbsup:

And don't tell me it's not gourmet cooking - it is - Saveur magazine recently analyzed the fry up and said it was great, so there. :cool:

·
29,945 Posts
Jaffa Cakes.

And, since we're coming up to Christmas, "Quality Street" and "Roses" chocolate assortments (nick a few soft centers when Mum's not looking).

And let's not forget After Eight Mints - the original "waffer theen meent" (See Life, the Meaning of, M. Python).

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
"Bring me a bucket, before I throw up!" (Monty Python, continued)

·
29,945 Posts
Oooh yeah - and Picallili, and don't forget the Colemans English mustard for the cumberland sausage!

Lack of English style sausage and bacon has resulted in my acquisition of grinding / slicing / stuffing equipment. I now slice my own bacon from primal cuts and grind and make my own sauasages to traditional recipes from around the world. This is great fun, if a little time consuming.

And let's not forget Heinz salad cream, a taste from my childhood there.

Pickled onions and pickled eggs - but Oh! the aftermath!

Feel free to join in folks, otherwise Haggis and I are quite happy just continuing with our reminiscences.

EDIT: Whoops! A little simultaneous posting going on. I don't care, it's all good eats.

·
29,945 Posts
Eccles cakes are great - Neddy Seagoon loves them.

Bakewell tart is superb - of course any of Mr Kiplings exceedingly good cakes are very welcome any time.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Spotted Dick and Custard :)
Any English made Cadbury's chocolate...mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Yorkshire pudding. My wife makes great Yorkshire pudding! Like candy...mmmmmmmmmm
Real English fish and chips. We used to have restaurant in town that was onwed and operated by a Brit who made THE BEST Real English fish and chips. The best fish and chips period.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The fish and chips are... well... kind of oily but edible.

The worst was some kind of meaty cake thing I ate at dolgellau. Those welsh are crazy!

:D

1 - 20 of 113 Posts