Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a cf 2 brothers exhaust on my RS that has turned from a beautiful luminescent gold to turd brown due to sun fade. the bike lives outside under at least 2 covers,sometimes as many as 3.the cf tank pad has faded to a light grey also.other than parking the bike inside(Not an option)is there any way to prevent fade to my New cf replacement items ?ohh..bike only has 7k miles on it,so i don't think sun exposure while being used is much of an issue.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Blimey

I wasn't aware that sun fade on CF was am 'issue' like this at all.

That's some bleaching you've got going on!:eek:

Other than what you are doing (you don't leave your bike out during the day in the Atacama do you??) - I wouldn't se sure of what else you could do?

Apart from complain to 2Brothers

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I can attest that CF definetly fades. It has bad reaction to UV light and its one of its faults. I work for Porsche and we see it alot on CF wings and such. It basically over time can also delaminate. I know chevy's new Corvette that is using it in its roof section has special paint that counter acts the UV issues and the paint I heard that they developed costs a fortune...im sure you can google it.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
CF on cans may/may not discolor from the exhaust heat depending on the CF composition. The Trident web site makes mention of this. Maybe all CF cans will eventually succumb to heat discoloration, but some do it faster than others.

When I got my CF front fender, I noticed some discoloration after awhile and did some Googling on the subject. The description from this site seems to match my fender. But it is not bad enough for the casual observer to notice it. I've mentioned it to friends, and have had to point it out before they could see it.

http://www.oppracing.com/opp_pages.php?page=carbon_fiber_10

The CF yoke protector came from a different vendor and is much higher quality. It has never shown any discoloration or any other defects.

I now use products that contain UV blockers, frequently.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do live in the DEEP SOUTH,so the temps under the cover might get to 120 degrees F.I first noticed the fade on the tank pad, but when in removed the can , i was astounded by the difference in color on on can where it was hidden under the mounting strap.looked NEW.the rest of the can looked like [email protected]#$%t !so, i guess my question is,is there some type of material i can put over the cf bits to prevent this uv fade?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Can I ask something here? What was a luminescent gold? The can? Aren't carbon cans a dark grey, almost black color? I have never scene a carbon fiber can in a color other than carbon so if a black carbon can was fading it would fade to grey not brown.

So what part are you asking about, the can itself or the pipes that lead to the can?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 2 bros. can was a woven tan/luminescent gold color. in the right light, it would GLOW GOLDEN --- SO NO IT WAS NOT BLACK !

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
You might try Meguiar's Plast-X (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+G12310); it may help restore the color to the CF laminate resin. It works great on yellowed auto headlight lenses. Caution: Try it on a non-obvious area first.

Concerning the cause. Do you store the bike indoors, like in a garage? And, do you have a pump in the same room? I ask, because it sounds like ozone is attacking the resin. Do your tires look 'dried out' as well? Electric motors can wreak havoc on all sorts of materials, as they generate a good amount of ozone.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The RS IS FORCED to spend it's life outside.the multiple covers are doing a great job preventing rust, the mechanical bits look great.the problem seems to be that the uv rays are going THROUGH the covers and killling the carbon fiber.the LUMININESCENT is gone, WOE IS ME,WOE IS ME !

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
johnO....Did you buy the can in that color?

The only reason I ask is because I have never seen a new one that was not the normal CF black. I have seen older ones that had variations of the golden tint all the way to brown, but the owners said that they had started out as black. Just asking, and not implying anything because I certainly am not a 2bros expert. :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GENTLEMEN, please- the can was produced NEW as tan/luminescent gold by two bros.it was never GREY or BLACK!got it?since the cf is woven and has a pronunced texture to it i dont think a paste type product will work to my satisfaction.i am trying to find a source of a uv blocking material that will drape over the NEW cf replacement bits. ( which ARE black!)hummmm- the NEW can is quite slick so perhaps the Meguires might work....but a true uv blocker like SUN SCREEN might be best. LOL

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I got it too!! :)

I had my Triumph Carbon Can replaced a couple of months ago and was surprised at how good the new CF looked compared to the old one.

You are right JohnO you don't notice how it fades until you can compare it to a new product side by side. Still if that is the worst thing that you can complain about you are doing OK. :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I want to see a pic of his pipe. Ive never seen carbon that color and think it'd look sweet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've seen 2 Bros. cans come in the color you're describing, although I don't see any on their website. Must be an older carbon fiber that they don't use anymore.
Have you called 2 Bros? They might have gone to a better quality carbon fiber since yours was made, in which case you could see about replacing the sleeve only.
Agreed- carbon fiber does fade but it might not be as noticable going from black to a lighter shade of black.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KREDGE, i sent an email to 2 BROS. tech services.the response i got was --- uhhh, you got what ?don't know what that is, send it to us we'll take a look see..... so the exhaust is now 7 years old and they have no clue.the color is quite unique,so it stands out in a crowd (o and d -yes cf DOES come in NOT BLACK ).i have a new black system on the way now,so i may send it to 2 Bros, have it refurbished and keep it as a spare.then agin, i may not.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
johnO, If you read my post, I never said that CF was not available in colors other than black. Since the subject was a 2bros can, I said I had never seen one that was not black originally. But I also said I was not a 2bros expert.

I am well aware that CF is available in several colors. When I bought my yoke protector, I had at least four colors to select from.

BTW, why the need to shout so much?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
UV radiation will fade colors pronto. The good carbon fiber manufactures will use a clear coat finish that contains UV inhibitors. Coppertone for your Sprint!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts