Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

our german community (www.sprinter-forum.net) plans a factory tour in june and september 2009.

We ask Triumph and they give us the okay. The ferry is booking.

Now, we need tipps for our little England tour. We have planed, that the factory tour is a monday. Then from tuesday until saturday we will drive a little bit on the isle.

What do You mean about Wales? Or what can we do in the south of england? I think 3 or 4 days are to short for Scottland.

Thank You for Your answers an tipps.

Greets
Jürgen

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
My opinion would be for you to go to the factory then onto Matlock bath, ride over the peak district then go north to the Lakes around Kendal from there you can run up to the Scottish borders and accross through keilder forest of from kendall go south into Wales, but the police in wales are definatly not biker friendly, if you go accross to kielder you can see Hadrians wall and the roads out there are great heading back to the ferry down the east coast, just my opinion but easily done in a week, good luck and have a great trip.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your opinion it's great! I take a look at the map ...

I read here, that's the police in Wales not bikerfriendly. Why it is so? Are the bike to fast on the way?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, but our tour is from June, 27th until July, 4th.

So I think we can't visit this event. :( But a visit is planed.

We need more information about:
  • Stonehedge
  • Avesbury
  • Canterbury
  • Beachy Head
  • Rye
  • Pembroke
  • Tintern Abbey
  • Dartmoor Nationalpark
  • Snowdonia National Parks
  • York
  • Windsor
What do you mean about the list? What is not interest? Other Ideas?

Perhaps: Have anyone time for tourguide :) ? One day or more? Show us your home country! :)

greets
Jürgen

·
Registered
107 Posts
i live near windsor how can i help ?
you could also visit the motorcycle musem it is on your way to hinckley just off m40 south of birmingham

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Keith,

thanks for your answer! We think that musem an other things (ex. 1 day London or Windsor (can we visit this?)) are good for bad weather. So we also need this alternates.

We're never been in England and so we have really only a little bit know-how. And that's what you can find in any guidebook. :confused:

greets
Jürgen

·
Registered
107 Posts
as you only have eight days (less ferry ect) you wont be able to do all places on your list and as your factory visit is on the monday you will have to plan your days rides. from dover it will take you about two to three houres to get to windsor but windsor is only 30 mins ride to london. london to hinckley is about three houres ride. please be advised that our roads have a lot of speed cameras on them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the problem!!! So many beautiful things but not enough time :(

So we need infos from insider which can us say, what shall we do.

We think: Stonehedge is a "must". But all the other positions are not constant. We need tipps from you and the other members.

And I've heared from the speed cameras in England and that's very expensive in your land :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
if you are at triumph (hinckley) on monday a good ride would be hinckley to coventry to warick to stratford on avon to stonehenge then down to coast follow coast through new forest to southampton
to portsmouth to brighton then along the coast back to dover.
some lovley roads and lots to see. could help you with route if you want.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Jurgen, you didnt mention how you plan to stop over night, will you be camping, guest housing or what?
Still, Im with doodledog on part of his route. Peak District is a no brainer-great roads,scenery and pubs, Police a bit lively at weekends in parts.
Then over to Wales and Snowdonia stopping for a pint in Chester first;) keep your eyes peeled and dont do anything too silly and you should be ok.
Then pick a route south through Wales, there are one or posts in the Tiger section for ideas, But anywere around Devils Bridge should get you smiling:) and most roads from then on lead to Pembroke.
After that the sovern softies will have to sort you out.
ps, dont forget your waterproofs;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi PeteH,

thanks for your tipps! We take a look on the map.

Camping is not planing. We hope, we find beautiful english country house, country inn or B&B. A castle would be a absolutly highlight! Ee need also any tipps for accommodations.

One website we found here: click. There are very nice houses :).

greets
Jürgen

·
Registered
724 Posts
Jurgen, the link you posted is ok if you fancy staying a while as most probably wont do a one night stay. Best bet is to Google the Tourist Board for the area you want to stay ie - Peak District Tourist Board. Another good one is Visitwales.com.
Get sorted quick as it gets busy over here in the summer and it could be even worse next year with people staying at home due to the exchange rates.
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Hi Jurgen..

I live in Rye and it is a nice little "old town" the main draw for bikes is Sunday down on the quay...people come for a ride out as the surrounding roads are great for bikes and either catch breakfast at the cafe there or go for a walk around the town..

It may serve you well as a stop over on route and I would be happy to take you along some local roads, sights, pubs etc...

It's only about an hour from Dover across country,

Happy xmas
Mot

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is a hotel 3 minutes from the factory called The Longshoot if you intend to arrive the night before, they do a reasonable carvery as well

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Jurgen, be aware that things like Stonehenge are OK but not worth spending more than an hour looking at it, its in a pretty out of the way place as well if you have limited time, I also dont know what your like looking at cities but if your like me London is a bit much, you will only have time to scratch the surface, I visited Paris and Berlin on my bike and found the best thing to do was to ride around the major tourist bits at about 5 AM get my photos then get out to the countryside as soon as possible, if your riding up from Dover that is possible and then up to the peak district via Hinkley and on to whereever you want from there.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi, thought to add my opinion on the Wales section - I live in West Wales just south of Aberystwyth - police not too bad once you are south of Dolgellau - road surfaces can be challenging though as well as tractors and nasty things left on the road by various farm animals...

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Jurgen

Greetings!

don't bother with Stionehenge (we would only leave you disappointed).

Near the Triumph factory, you could go to Warwick castle (like Windsor, only cheaper and nicer:D)

North Wales is a definate no-no (the Chief of Police there hates all bikes:eek::mad:) but the Lake District, and Peak District are lovely, as is the countryside around Warwickshire and Shropshire.

Give yourselves enouogh time to enjoy the trip.

All the best

John

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hello Jürgen,

Another one saying don't set too much store by Stonehenge. Avebury though is good. You can walk around, there's quite a bit to see, and some nice winding roads around there.

If you like old cars, this musem is a bit further west than Avebury:
http://www.haynesmotormuseum.com/about-us/how-to-find-us.html

Generally I'd say it takes longer to get around here, than in Germany or France say - denser traffic - so it might be worth taking that into account.

Regards
Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your going to snowdonia you might want to call into a place called the ponderosa in wales it a big biker hang out right on the top of the mountains google it and you find it, be aware all of north wales is full of speed cameras make sure you have all your documents

1 - 20 of 22 Posts