Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope to get some verification:
I have a 1971 Bonnie 5 SPEED! T120RV. I have been told that this is a rare bike because they didn't come out with the 5 speeds until 1972. I was told that in order to class the bonnie in races in 71 they had to produce at least 200 bikes equipped with the 5 speed transmission to be an official class. Anyone out there know about this? Any idea of how many of the 5 speeds were built in 1971? How much more it may be worth? Any responses appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have one of these. searching forums and google has led me to believe that 49% of Triumph people don't accept they exist, 49% say they are **** because the early factory 5-speeds were rubbish, and 2% own one and aren't sure whether they are cool and rare or a bit of a glitch in Meridens history.
It will be worth more when you and I keep telling people they are rare (for maybe 10 years).

T120RV ********GE both frame and engine = June 71

Of course, i am a newbie and am happy to be told the full story once and for all.

derek

·
Registered
442 Posts
Didn't Quaif offer a 5 speed gear cluster that slipped right into the stock 4 speed housing? If so the bike might have an after market 5 speed.

Mike

·
Registered
625 Posts
My best friend had a '71 5 speed 15 years ago when we lived together in NC ... it lived in our shed for a while ...

Everything I have ever accepted as fact regarding these is that they do exist, were built in the factory, and are fairly rare.

Rare does NOT necessarily mean valuable ...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Suffix RV on the engine number signifies a factory fitted optional 5 speed box. This was available from model year 1972 and became standard from model yr 1973. Source "Bonnie- the development history" - J R Nelson. However manufacture of Model yr 1972 commenced Aug/Sept 1971 with HG30870. So everyone could be right!

I note with interest the link given by Valiantbultaco as to 200+ 5-speed bikes being built June 1971 and feel this to be very possible as I know of other cases where short runs of 200+ bike were made for AMA racing, the BSA A-70 being one example.

·
Super Moderator
13,263 Posts
Manufacture date of late 1971 for model year 1972 does not mean the bikes produced were 1971 models, or titled as 1971 bikes.

The FIM/AMA homologation rules of 200 bikes produced to a spec, for sale to "the general public" is a common occurance, just as the first 750 models were produced in 1970 but are rare becasue they skipped a year before beng included in the general sale lineup.

If you have a 5-speed that is stamped with a "V", and titled as a '71, you have a somewhat rare bike.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I've been trying to get in contact with the original owner of the 71 T120 I bought from him in 72. I'm nearly certain it was a 5 speed. He always had exotic, rare, hard to get vehicles and a 5 speed Triumph that few others could get would have been right up his alley. Maybe that's why he sold it to me in 72. If everyone could get one, what would be the point?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

thanks for the replies guys.
My engine # does start with GE = June '71 and does have the RV for 5 speed. The frame and engine numbers do match.
I have been told the story about the 200+ being built in Jume 71 story before so perhaps it's for real.
So.. rare yes, valueable, hmmm.. who knows??

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was wondering if it is possible to have some kind of registry for owners (or even reported sightings) of these bikes.
Not only would it be interesting to see how many are out there .. and where they were sent..., but to be able to share knowledge.

Any ideas? GPZ, I understand that you cant make a sticky for every anomoly, but maybe you can advise onthe best approach.

cheers
derek

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Just came across a Triumph service bulletin that verifys that there were some 71's with the 5 speed. Bulletin Number (Twin) 1/73; Subject 5-sp gears; Models TR7/T140; Date 1/12/73, talks about the CP1000 kit to up grade the 71 & 72 5 speed transmissions to the later specs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does it say or does anyone know what parts were included in the CP1000 upgrade? I have a titled 72 TR6RV.

Just came across a Triumph service bulletin that verifys that there were some 71's with the 5 speed. Bulletin Number (Twin) 1/73; Subject 5-sp gears; Models TR7/T140; Date 1/12/73, talks about the CP1000 kit to up grade the 71 & 72 5 speed transmissions to the later specs.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The CP1000kit included: 1st & 2nd gear (main shaft) # 57-4653; 3rd gear (layshaft) # 57-4647; 2nd gear (layshaft) # 57-4657; 1st gear (layshaft) # 57-4654; drive dog # 57-4661; fork (1st gear) # 57-4660.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Just to confirm that Triumph must have built some 5 speed bikes in 71. My 71 replacement parts catalogue has a page listing the part numbers required for the 5 speed box, it's on the last page of the book so I would guess it was a last minute update.

Webby

·
Registered
137 Posts
to answer the questions:

Yes, late (May through July) in the 1971 Model year, a few over 200 5 speed T120s were produced in order for the racing teams to compete with the Japanese bike that came with factory 5 speeds. all were produced to Export Specs and sold in the US. the all came in mustard yellow with black scallops on the tank.

the factory copied the Quaife 5 speed kit that was available, but cut some corners is order to save a buck and the 71-73 5 speeds had issues. by 74 hey were rectified.

as for what it is worth? whatever someone is willing to pay for it. mine isn't for sale

1 - 20 of 75 Posts