Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this long winded. Looking for info or direction to it from any guru's out there. Very recently had big bore kit and cams done on my 09 America EFI. Some dyno tune work was of course needed. Some background on the bike. Have been running TORs with the 20184 Triumph map. OK operation, snatchy low throttle response and acceleration power just died above 6000 RPM. Several months ago I removed SAI, O2 sensors and pulled the snorkel. (I will open the air box more next) I then loaded the 20184dynoTuneSteveO2-Disable map from the TuneECU site. Much improved low throttle response and better seat of the pants power on up the RPM range. Looking closer at the differences of the two maps I can see the modified map has changes to both the F and L tables, more cells changed on the L table. I gather the F is for fuel plotted as RPM against throttle position. L table deals with the same RPM range and manifold air pressure expectations? Plotted as air pressure and I would thick this could also be important. Looking for more information here. I is ignition I suppose. No differences here between maps.
Had 904 BB & 813 cams done in place of the 12,000 mile service. The shop is Power Commander trained, experienced and of course a point of sale. The shop was not against using TuneECU, just had no experience with it. The mechanic had run a base line dyno before changes. Then after the motor was back together he called for me to bring in my laptop and see what we could do. He made several runs and made suggestions about F1 / F2 changes for RPM and throttle position points. We were guessing at throttle position percentage. I didn't think to leave TuneECU (ver 1.9.3) running and connected to see the displayed throttle position at any given RPM. (I will if dyno'ed again) I would modify the tables and download. We only changed F tables as he was not familiar with anything else. I guess thats all you can do with PC. The motorcycle runs fine but I am sure it is not yet optimized. (I only paid for the base line dyno run, not the half day spent playing with TuneECU) With the current map (I'm calling it 20184dyno904BB_cam) the low throttle response is improved further. I can actually run at idle up my driveway now, much less sand is flying up on the motor! Power and acceleration are noticeably improved.
Questions, should the L map change? Would the changes be proportional to F table changes and at what air pressure points? Would any other table need attention after BB and cam changes? I'm looking to know as much as I can before another dyno run after any air box changes. Thanks for any help and I apologize for the length of this post.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
littlefield, I have looked at the TuneBoy/TuneEdit manuals and Googled. The TuneBoy pdf's indicate what tables are but not much about how they interact. Google gets me to several forums but no real information from the links I followed. For example, the L tables are said to effect low RPM but the table covers the same range as the F tables. The already customized map I started with has both F & L tables edited but the L tables have changes from 1100 to 7000 RPM and the F tables are only changed from 1800 to 4800 RPM. This confuses me. I am not trying to take work away from a tuner / mechanic, just better understand to help my local guy serve me better. Especially since I do not see a map already available for the 904 big bore / cam changes on the America EFI. Was hoping to find some guide or further examples. I am using the only Triumph (non Harley & Japanese) dealer in the immediate area and TuneECU seems to be unknown to the other motorcycle owners and shops I have talked to. The search continues.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The explanations of the different tables are confusing to me, also. I know a low rpm the fuel is controlled by the MAP and not speed/TPS. That has something to do with the L table. www dot thespeedtriple dot com has an active tuning section that may explain better.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll take a look there.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It seems like you have it figured out, but you just need to use it.

The L tables are for MAP based fueling
The F tables are for TPS based fueling
The F-L switch table determines which table is used at the given RPM points...If you are below the RPM/ TPS threashold in the F-L switch table, the ECM is using the L tables for fueling. If above, then the F tables.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
It seems like you have it figured out, but you just need to use it.

The L tables are for MAP based fueling
The F tables are for TPS based fueling
The F-L switch table determines which table is used at the given RPM points...If you are below the RPM/ TPS threashold in the F-L switch table, the ECM is using the L tables for fueling. If above, then the F tables.
Just to clarify, the F-L switch table has a row of RPMs and a row of what I'm taking to be throttle positions(?) so if the throttle is below this percentage of its max you will be using L (MAP) tables above it F (TPS) tables? So it is throttle position which provides the switch and if you (theoretically) set the POS value to 100 you would always use MAP (likewise if you set it to zero you would always use TPS). Is my interpretation correct?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Do a search on this site.
Each table's features and controls have been described in great detail.

Do not make assumptions. Some of the tables are not as clear cut as you may believe.

The only way to actually learn what each tables does, and when it does it, is to load the engine on a dyno, and make changes to each table. Then test to see what has actually changed.

Some older versions of TuneBoy/TuneEdit and TuneECU are not the same as newer versions. Some of the older table descriptions, no longer apply, or may be altered slightly in newer software versions.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Do a search on this site.
Each table's features and controls have been described in great detail.

Do not make assumptions. Some of the tables are not as clear cut as you may believe.

The only way to actually learn what each tables does, and when it does it, is to load the engine on a dyno, and make changes to each table. Then test to see what has actually changed.

Some older versions of TuneBoy/TuneEdit and TuneECU are not the same as newer versions. Some of the older table descriptions, no longer apply, or may be altered slightly in newer software versions.

I hope this helps.
Not really!
In fact I'm now more confused.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Try starting with a few searches.
I have done that but not had time to assimilate all of them yet, didn't realise I needed to before commenting on an existing thread. I have read through a few more since and I notice you have contributed a great deal to them which I appreciate and I do understand it may get a bit of a bind to keep saying the same thing but there is a lot to take in there and some of it contradictory which is where it gets confusing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.