Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have x-ray vision. That ended when I turned 45, 19 years ago.

On my motorcycles and in the car, I have been wearing glasses for distance vision only (clear and sunglasses.) At home and everywhere else I wear my progressives. I also have a pair of computer only glasses.

I just bought a pair of RayBan Wafarers and had them make it a bifocal with distance for the main part of the lens and the bifocal is at the mid distance. I tried it today on my bicycle for a long ride and it was perfect. I could actually read my computer while riding. I then tried them on my Speedmaster for a short ride and was pleasantly surprised. The distance portion was great without any side distortion and the gauges, well, looked clear. It may take a little time to get used to the line of the bifocal. I had them put it as low as they could.

The only problem on the Triumph was with the RayBan arms. They are large and did not fit in my helmet very well without moving the glasses to a position I did not like. I don't have this problem with my regular riding glasses. The arms are different.

I have never tried progressives on a bike but thinking of getting some progressive sunglasses.

For those that need both distance and being able to read the gauges and GPS, what do you ride with?

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Tried progressives and didn't really care for them.
I have trifocals: upper part is non-prescription, middle is for the front sight on my target pistol and lower is for reading. Works quite well.

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
I've been riding with progressives for years, triple prescription. Progressive lenses require some acclimation whether just walking or driving, riding. How much depends upon the size of the frame lenses. The issue with progressives is that you have to turn your head to keep the view in focus. Peripheral vision is distorted if you look sideways out from the lens. It's more apparent with triple prescription than with just a double prescription. Sort of like looking at a flat screen TV from a side angle and not head on. I'm used to this but I am more aware of the short comings while riding a bike. I've been wearing glasses since a child and once needing more than a single prescription, never had bifocals or tri. Always progressives. They are not for everyone.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sigh. It's been a few years since I started needing progressive lenses.

So there are actually progressive really soft contacts. They aren't as good as progressive eyeglasses when doing things like working at a desk with a screen and keyboard. But for me have been great for road trips on the bike and track days. They give much better peripheral vision than eyeglasses. And you can use normal sunglasses with them.

Having said that, clear progressive lenses with a sunglass clip also work well for me. https://cliponguys.com/ is one option .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I've been using progressive's for a bunch of years. I didn't like the thought of the line for the bifocals. Never had any problems on the bike. I always ride with a dark tinted visor (rarely if ever ride at night) and see fine.

Now your problem with the arms of your glasses, there is a large thread about that somewhere on this site, I don't remember where, but find it and read it, lots of interesting info. Personally I use Oakley frames with their flat straight arms. They fit great with my Arai.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
progressives, never tried bifocals, been this way for 25 years, not perfect but I seam to have adapted to them. I'm a finish carp and sometimes when I'm doing crown I cant see the details without tilting my head way back(or raising the glasses with one hand so that I can see through the bottom part of the lenses).
I thought about switching to contacts so that I could wear sun glasses, something that I havnt done since I started wearing glasses, dont care for the clip ons.
The thing that I've noticed is that I have lost a lot of peripheral vision and thats probably more of a concern to me then any other thing

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
I have progressives, progressive Ray-Ban sunglasses to the same prescription, and lined bifocal computer glasses, up for the screen, lower part for reading papers on the counter in front of the screen.

The Ray-Ban sunglasses are a great fit inside my helmet.

I would have had to quit work were it not for the computer glasses.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I been lucky just had a full eye test first one in my whole life now 60, perfect 20/20 vision even with my lazy eye lol just needed reading glasses but still see my gauges OK when driving or riding.
And my grandmother always said I go blind if I didn't leave it alone, I knew she wasn't right lol.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I used to have x-ray vision. That ended when I turned 45, 19 years ago.

On my motorcycles and in the car, I have been wearing glasses for distance vision only (clear and sunglasses.) At home and everywhere else I wear my progressives. I also have a pair of computer only glasses.

I just bought a pair of RayBan Wafarers and had them make it a bifocal with distance for the main part of the lens and the bifocal is at the mid distance. I tried it today on my bicycle for a long ride and it was perfect. I could actually read my computer while riding. I then tried them on my Speedmaster for a short ride and was pleasantly surprised. The distance portion was great without any side distortion and the gauges, well, looked clear. It may take a little time to get used to the line of the bifocal. I had them put it as low as they could.

The only problem on the Triumph was with the RayBan arms. They are large and did not fit in my helmet very well without moving the glasses to a position I did not like. I don't have this problem with my regular riding glasses. The arms are different.

I have never tried progressives on a bike but thinking of getting some progressive sunglasses.

For those that need both distance and being able to read the gauges and GPS, what do you ride with?

Thanks.
Nix on the progressives.. i bought a very expensive made pair.. cost me like $1100 bucks.. made me sick as a dog.. no siree no progressives for me..uh uh..no way never.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered a new pair with progressive lenses in them. I'll see how they work on the bike and report back.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I have 2 pair of glasses that I wear regularly. First pair have progressive-transition lenses and they're what I wear for normal day-to-day activities and at work. The other pair are medium-dark polarized bifocals with distance & mid-range lenses.

I'm used to the progressives, but I just love way the bifocals are in sharp focus throughout the full field-of-view. They're my go-to glasses whenever I'll be outdoors for long periods of time and when I'm riding/driving during daylight hours. After wearing them for a good part of the day, it's a real let-down when I have to swap them for the progressives.

Pete

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I don't know whether your frames are the Original Wayfarers or the New Wayfarers but I've worn progressive sun lenses in a New Wayfarer frame since 2013. I adjusted to the lenses pretty quickly and the "New" frames fit inside both my glasses friendly Multitec and my hostile Bullitt.:dunno

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I don't know whether your frames are the Original Wayfarers or the New Wayfarers but I've worn progressive sun lenses in a New Wayfarer frame since 2013. I adjusted to the lenses pretty quickly and the "New" frames fit inside both my glasses friendly Multitec and my hostile Bullitt.:dunno
I have 4 helmets that aren't half-helmets and my Bell Bullitt is the most glasses-friendly one of the lot. Just about any glasses work under it. Not sure what a "hostile" Bullitt is, though.

The worst is my Bell Star MIPS. It's real particular about the glasses that work under it. My glasses do, but it gets painful after awhile so I usually leave them off when I ride with the Star. Thankfully, my vision is still good enough without glasses to do that, but I have to put 'em on if I want to read something on my phone or a map.

Pete

·
Registered
143 Posts
I stated wearing glasses in my mid forties, my vison was corrected to 20/5 i.e. I could see at 20 feet what most people saw at 5 feet. Than late 50s arrived and I wasn't happy with the reading vision. Progressive lenses forced me to turn my head instead of using my peripheral vision and was just plan annoying. I have now worn bifocals for 20 years, trifocals for computer work. The "line" disappears in a couple of weeks. The ability to just shift my eyes and not turn my head, or have to lift my head to see a computer screen is great. Head checks are easier, quicker when you can combine them with an eye shift.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have worn progressives with transition lenses for years. I use a HJC 3/4 helmet with drop down sun visor and it’s roomy enough for my current RayBan frame. Progressives do take some getting used to but I’m not going back to bifocals. 🤓

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yup, and it gets progressively more annoying as you age and lose your flexibility.

See what I did there? :D

Pete
Plus a couple of years ago I ended up with a couple of cervical spine vertebra (neck) fused. Reduces the rotational ability. :surprise:

As they say getting old isn't for sissies

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been wearing trifocals with what used to be called photo-gray, for the past 25 years or so. (age 68) For riding, I had glasses made with just the distance and mid-range. Works good for me, as the mid-range is just right for reading the gauges. No need of the close up lens, as I don't read and ride at the same time anyway.

·
Registered
957 Posts
i had to wear my glasses under my Shoei on vacation when a chipmunk ate my contact lenses. I kept forgetting and trying to take my helmet off with glasses on. That vacation was hard on my glasses and my nose.

Progressive contacts for me. No question.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts