Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems my rear tire as a glacier speed leak. It loses about 3 psi a week. Is this normal for a tube tire? :???:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Normal until you get a air valve that holds air. Mine did the same until I got some good ones. :wink:

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Mine does it too, about the same rate.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Ditto. The front's a little less. It's always seemed to me to be rather common with motorcycles, which prompts me to check at the least once a week.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You can get a hand full of valve cores at a tire shop and try until you find one that doesn't leak OR try a little--as in tiny amount--of silicone sealant on the sealing surface of the valve core--this is usually a colored surface and is what seals the inner valve body against the outer threaded stem. The leak usually has nothing to do with the spring loaded seal of the valve core but is what I would call the outer seal. If it is any consolation, I had the same problem with my Tiger and it has tubless tires. I didn't even bother to go get a hand full of valve cores--I went straight for my tube of silicone glass sealer and I have had no leaks since.

Larry

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Also make sure the valves are nice and snug. Even the best fitted valves will leak if they become the least bit loose, so make this part of your regular tire care routine.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well, correct on the basic reasons for air loss, as usual some good insite from this board.
I realize I could chase down my minor leak, but I let it go as it gets me to check my tires before every ride, for air pressure and for foreign objects and give the spokes a little tap while I am at it. If you know your tires never loose air you may get complacent. Vigilance is the key to longetivity on the blacktop
G

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Since new lost 8 lbs/ mo. Garage mate as well. Still do. No big deal unless you are 1 of those start it & go kinda people?
Pre- flight check- very important/ @ least 1x per mo depending on how much you ride. :hammer: :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts