Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2004 sprint ST, 2007 Bonneville
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I went south to my family on my Bonneville. Great ride through part of the country we call "de peel" ("the peat"), south of 's Hertogenbosch. Got there without any issue, had a good time and at about 8 pm it was time to go back home.
Stepped the bike backwards to the road, engaged 1st gear, eased up on the clutch and.. nothing; standstill with the gear in 1st and clutch out. Tried other gears, nothing, clutch in, out, in, out, nothing.
Could be two things: broken gearbox or chain. Look at my chain, and yep, one of the links clean broken off. So, yeah, I think I was very lucky that happened pulling out instead of going 60 on the highway, still a major *** moment but considering what could have happened not too bad really..

As you can see the chain is a bit corroded, but all the chains were still going smooth and there was no major slack, so how this could have happened with the lack of power and acceleration of such bikes? Anyway, got home in a replacement car and the bonnie will be delivered to my garage tomorrow, so it's just **** happens I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd say you were lucky since the failure was going to occur anyway. Better than out on the highway.

A few years ago a friend and I took a dual sport trip to Arizona which included seeing the Grand Canyon. When I got home I parked the bike and the next day left on 4 day trip for work.
When I got back I found a pool of oil under the bike: the seal on the rear shock had failed and completely drained out. It would have been a long ride home with no suspension
dampening if it had failed a couple of days before.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
746 Posts
My guess is that the outer plate broke some time on the ride down, but close to your destination. The inner plate then started to bend under the load. You can see that it's slightly bent, and the wear marks look like it was lopsided for a while. It was all set to fall open when you stopped. As you went backwards down the driveway there was no load on the chain so it was loose enough for the pin to pull out.

This is one of those 'bad luck good luck' moments - bad luck it happened, good luck it happened when it did.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Begs a couple of questions, like - how old is this chain & how many kms has it done ?
According to the service book, it's been replaced at 17400 mls in 2015, it's now at 19400, so 2000 mls in 6 year.
I wouldn't expect a chain to wear out until it's done at least 15000 mls so this is quit early.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guess is that the outer plate broke some time on the ride down, but close to your destination. The inner plate then started to bend under the load. You can see that it's slightly bent, and the wear marks look like it was lopsided for a while. It was all set to fall open when you stopped. As you went backwards down the driveway there was no load on the chain so it was loose enough for the pin to pull out.

This is one of those 'bad luck good luck' moments - bad luck it happened, good luck it happened when it did.
That is a good analysis I think, I agree.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,688 Posts
I have one good chain story! About 20 yrs ago on my Gixxer I lost my chain on a highway uphill exit ramp like at 11 pm at night and it was a very desolate area.
I ran back down the highway ramp and found my chain i was lucky it just dropped instead of getting wrapped up, no bueno…lol it was very dark I had no phone, too far from any civilization so all I could do is sit on my bike and lay on the tank trying to rest while waiting for some one to come by and offer help or I would have to try and stop someone for help.
Well 3 hrs go by and it 2 am and I am tired and cold laying on my bike still and finally this S10 truck pulls up and 2 Asian guys stop to see if I was alright and I explained what happened and they happened to b sportbike riders them self’s, unfortunately he didn’t have his strap set ups with him so they went back all the way to their crib picked up the bike tie downs And wen t back and loaded my bike and they took me and the bike back home.
I was so thankful, I had told them I rode with a crew and was one of the top guys and these Asian cats were some bad ass riders themselves that hung out with a huge Asian biker group.
We became good friends hooked up for some great rides I won’t forget. every time I think I see a biker that might need help I always stop to check by asking if everything is alright or not, I definitely know what its like to b stranded as a biker so if I can help out another biker in the same position that’s great it’s the least I could do….FTG
oh yeh, and after that day i lost my chain it was rivet style master links for my chains, no more clip style.

·
Administrator
3,560 Posts
According to the service book, it's been replaced at 17400 mls in 2015, it's now at 19400, so 2000 mls in 6 year.
I wouldn't expect a chain to wear out until it's done at least 15000 mls so this is quit early.
Then that [ to me ] points directly at a faulty install of the master link when the new chain was put on. At 2K miles, there is no way it failed from wear.
Lucky timing for it to fall off for you. That can be catastrophic if come off and jam up the rear wheel at speed.

Reactions: Hooli744

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Thruxton R / 2013 Yama FJR
12 Posts
Glad you’re safe bud! Definitely lucky. My worst fear on a bike.. ..besides a soccer mom in a mini-van pulling out in front of me while texting on her phone and yelling at her kids .. but seriously.

Ride safe!

-gB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
690 Posts
Then that [ to me ] points directly at a faulty install of the master link when the new chain was put on. At 2K miles, there is no way it failed from wear.
Lucky timing for it to fall off for you. That can be catastrophic if come off and jam up the rear wheel at speed.
It'd make a damn mess of the crankcase if it jammed up around the sprocket too.

·
Registered
1982 Suzuki GS 750T, (no Triumph, yet)
38 Posts
Was this the master link, though? I see no mention of that in the OP's post, and it looks like a regular link. To me, it looks like a really neglected chain, that wasn't cleaned/ lubed properly in some time. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Suzuki GS 750T, (no Triumph, yet)
38 Posts
Hmm, yes the shape is different from the rest. My only experience w/ a riveted master link is the one I did, where the rivet is dimpled from the tool used to spread the end of the rivet.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Looks like the master link as the rivet pattern is different to the rest of the chain, Its round and the rest are square.
I thought that as well, without seeing the other side its hard to say 100%.
But if it is the joining link then its more likely the pins broken first (maybe from a bad riveting process) and that's caused the side plate to snap rather than the other way around.
Also wondering if it was correctly tensioned, hopefully it was checked more often than it was cleaned/lubricated. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I thought that as well, without seeing the other side its hard to say 100%.
But if it is the joining link then its more likely the pins broken first (maybe from a bad riveting process) and that's caused the side plate to snap rather than the other way around.
Also wondering if it was correctly tensioned, hopefully it was checked more often than it was cleaned/lubricated. :unsure:
Looking again it seems likely the pin gave way or sheared first causing the lower plate to move out of line causing the damage that can be seen where it rubbed on the pin. The top plate couldn't cope on it's own. Can't quite see what is left in the lower plate pin hole.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking again it seems likely the pin gave way or sheared first causing the lower plate to move out of line causing the damage that can be seen where it rubbed on the pin. The top plate couldn't cope on it's own. Can't quite see what is left in the lower plate pin hole.
Propably so. Most likely riveting caused a small crack in the pin and it spread and gave up over time. The easy fix is to rivet a new link. The chain is probably just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmm, yes the shape is different from the rest. My only experience w/ a riveted master link is the one I did, where the rivet is dimpled from the tool used to spread the end of the rivet.
An old trick is to use a ball bearing double the diameter of the hole in the pin and a c-clamp. I do not use other than DID chains and did gives a tolerance of the riveted pin end diameter. No special tools needed.

Breaking the chain is easy by grinding the pin ends flat to the side plate and a small tap with a punch and a hammer. No special tools needed either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts