Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,475 Posts
Even having seen that before, those photos are chilling. Ride safe, everyone!

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I have had discussions with people over the years. Most recently with a surgeon who consistently rides around with just shorts, t shirt and sneakers. How do you get the point across, especially when the people are educated and know what can happen?

Even photos are of no help. Perhaps giving all bikers a small road rash and rubbing in salt to give them a taste of the rashes to come if they do not cover up.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thats awful, shouldn't have to happen to start wearing the right gear.That guy Shaun seems like a real tool, how fast was he going? Seem like he was trying to impress her, and he ended up puttting her life in danger.God bless that girl, and she should get some better friends.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Wearing gear is a personal choice. Some people just don't understand what it is like to have road rash. If they did they would not need convincing.

I never go out without all the gear on personally.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
road tattoo's

Sad story for that young lady, she will be scarred for life but seems so strong and coping with it amazingly well.
It was somewhat puzzling about how she was sitting, assuming she was behind the dude driving, why would she push against the tank to get closer to him?
"Approaching mile marker seven on highway 550, I noticed that I had to start fighting the wind to stay behind Shaun without pulling on him too much. I placed my hands on the gas tank and pushed myself into him as much as possible without crowding him. As we came around to the right and went down the hill, we kept accelerating. I was scared, but thought I could handle the force of the wind as it suddenly picked up much more than in the moments before. I started to slide back on the seat and felt the cool air fill the small space between my chest and Shaun's back.
I felt a rush of wind hit my face like a brick and our bodies separated in an instant; "
I would think, in that situation, that she would have a death grip on the drivers mid-section, especially when she started "sliding back on the seat"
My guess would be that they had to be going in excess of 100 mph to blow her off like that, given that the drivers body would have shielded her somewhat from the wind.
Just a puzzle....vague references and inconsistencies make it a puzzle, anyone else out there have a comment?

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sad story for that young lady, she will be scarred for life but seems so strong and coping with it amazingly well.
It was somewhat puzzling about how she was sitting, assuming she was behind the dude driving, why would she push against the tank to get closer to him?
"Approaching mile marker seven on highway 550, I noticed that I had to start fighting the wind to stay behind Shaun without pulling on him too much. I placed my hands on the gas tank and pushed myself into him as much as possible without crowding him. As we came around to the right and went down the hill, we kept accelerating. I was scared, but thought I could handle the force of the wind as it suddenly picked up much more than in the moments before. I started to slide back on the seat and felt the cool air fill the small space between my chest and Shaun's back.
I felt a rush of wind hit my face like a brick and our bodies separated in an instant; "
I thought that strange too untill i saw how high up the seat is, gravity must have forced her down on the rider and to aviod crowding him she push away from the tank and at the same time shifted herself into the rider. She probably just didn't explain it right,Thank God she was wearing a helmet, poor thing..

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Yep, it always takes a traumatic experience to change the stupidity. Obviously not enough though to change her friends. Kids are constantly using the 550 to race on. It's stupid when the have a racing road course available to them, just outside Albuquerque. The surrounding area on the 550 west out of Rio Rancho is a common street racing loction for riders around Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. It has a slow downhill grade going east with several long bends for extremely high speeds.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
964 Posts
After seeing the photos of the horrific injuries and reading the text, I don't see how anyone could argue against wearing protective gear. It certainly convinces me that I made the right choice with the ATGATT philosophy. But the cynical side of me says that she will never be the "poster child" in the campaign to get riders to wear their gear; the photos will never be seen in the mainstream motorcycle magazines. Why? The major motorcycle manufacturers will use the threat of pulling advertising. Reports of injuries with all the gory details would put people off buying motorcycles and cut into sales. Years ago, light airplane manufacturers tried to use crashworthyness as a selling feature; the practice was abandoned when sales declined. Potential buyers don't want to be reminded that they can be injured or killed while engaging in their chosen hobby.

My cynical side also thinks that this thread will degenerate into flame war between the ATGATT faction and the "helmet laws suck" faction. I sincerely hope I am proven wrong on both accounts.---James.:D

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Flying passenger

I thought that strange too untill i saw how high up the seat is, gravity must have forced her down on the rider and to aviod crowding him she push away from the tank and at the same time shifted herself into the rider. She probably just didn't explain it right, poor thing..
I understand it now, I was visualizing a flat seat, I forget sometimes how those sport bikes jack the passenger up into the slipstream. They kind of remind me of a little critter we have down here called a "flat tailed black ant" a benign cute little thing that carries it's abdomen up in the air like the bike does.
I'll certainly agree that the driver should have been horse whipped for putting the passenger in danger by excess speeding.....I believe it was not her fault at all and she just found herself in a bad spot and did all she could to survive it. I wish she had, she's a fighter for sure. The guy should be tied up and drug behind a pickup truck on a gravel road for a few miles and then on the interstate for more miles.......might help him understand what he did.
I'm one of those ATGATT guys and refuse to get on a bike without protective gear. This story definitely reinforces that attitude.
koi

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'll certainly agree that the driver should have been horse whipped for putting the passenger in danger by excess speeding.....I believe it was not her fault at all and she just found herself in a bad spot and did all she could to survive it. I wish she had, she's a fighter for sure. The guy should be tied up and drug behind a pickup truck on a gravel road for a few miles and then on the interstate for more miles.......might help him understand what he did.koi
I agree, the "driver" (as opposed to rider) is/was a blithering a**hole to run that fast with a passenger on back. His insurance probably WILL NOT cover all her medical expenses(present and future); best to keep him healthy so that he can pay off the remainder. He certainly deserves to shoulder the lion's share of the blame.

On the other side of the coin, her parents share some responsibility too. According to the text, she was living at home; surely they could have exercised some parental control. Those among you who are parents know the drill, " while you're living under my roof......". I have two daughters about that age. I would have no problems with them riding their own bikes; just NOT on the back of a crotch-rocket piloted by a kamikaze with his head up his rectum. It's because I care.

The motorcycle manufacturers also share a small part of the blame; they insist on putting passenger pegs on machines that have no business carrying a passenger. The first "mod" that I did to my Thruxton was to remove them(my contribution to public safety:D). Crotch-rockets are not really set up to keep a passenger on securely; she was blown off the back!

While I fully sympathize with her ordeal (I try to see one of my daughters in the same situation); the fact still remains that nobody put a gun to her head to make her get on the bike to begin with. A momentary lapse in reason aside, she has paid too high a price. She will carry those scars, both physical and mental, for the rest of her life. I see countless young women(and older ones too, who should know better) riding on the back with no helmet/gear. How many of these are chewed-up and spat out or wind up as road kill that the public never hears of?

In this case, there's plenty of blame to go around; it can't be laid at the feet of any one person. If it were up to me, all the photos of these injuries(within modest guidelines) would be on the front page of every motorcycle magazine in the civilized world. But that's just wishful thinking on my part. Please excuse the vehemence of my post, the subject hits a little too close to home.---James.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Wait a minute, your missing the point. She's totally responsible for her injuries and the emotional devastation of her family, friends and herself. Not to mention the medical costs for the injuries her parents to had to incure. She was of adult age 19 at the time of the accident and made her choice to do something stupid and she knew it. No one twisted her arm to get on the back of the bike. She alone placed her health and safety in the hands of a moron on wheels, just like she had many times before. She was aware of the risks but ignored the possibilities, until it finally caught up to her. Place the responsibility where it belongs, on her head not on those that had nothing to do with the stupidity of her reoccuring desisions. Not the manfactures, the parents or the driver. I feel great empathy for anyone that has to go thru this type of trauma to learn a valuable lesson but in the same respect, God gave her a brain to use, just like you and I and unless she was a complete retarded moron, she knew the risks of riding without proper safety gear and I'm sure she thought about it more than once. She alone made her choice to ignore the risks.

I appreciate that she now realizes, as a result of her stupidity and injuries, how important motorcycle safety gear is but don't forget who voluntiarly swung a leg over the pillion seat especially after already knowing how much of a two wheel, moron her boy friend Shaun really is. I live very close to where this all originally happened. I know how it happened and have some first hand information about both individuals, their previous stunts and riding habits. She's not the perfect little angel that you want to believe she is. She and her boy friend are pistols, had previous history and were generally out of control when it came to their riding habits on the streets of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. Naturally, this has been carefully excluded in her injury bio or the original story but you can see by her current riding lifestyle and attitude it's a mirror.

I respect the right of choice that I and my fellow bikers have. Each individual rider can make that choice without guilt bread pressure from others. I may give my opinion from time to time and I may not agree with their personal choice of not wearing protective clothing, but never-the-less it's their's to make and I will support it. I don't need some over reacting, hapless young adult, driven by her personal stupidity, injury and guilt to remind me weather or not I need to wear protective clothing. Accountability for her actions, is hers alone. She has to bear the memories, reminders and guilt of it, not I or anyone else. She may have learned a hard lesson about the the results of not wearing protective clothing, while engaging in illegal street racing and stunting but the root cause has never been touched. If this is what it takes for a young adult to gain public notariety and pity, then it's a poor example at best. There are plenty of innocent victims of diease, human haterid, and anger to focus your attention on. You can read and see that her riding techniques as well as her overall attitude about safe street riding hasn't developed and she's not interested in it either. There's a point of where a parent washes their hands of the childrens stupidity, that's usually at adult consenting age and let them learn by experience. Doesn't mean that you love them any less, nor does it make it easier to bear. You can't protect them from their own stupidity for the rest of their life, if they choose to not heed your's and others warnings, experience alone can sometimes be a hard task master.

I apologize for such a lengthy rant but things are not always quite what they seem. There is always two sides to every story and they both need to be told. I mean no offense to anyone but I just don't agree with the guilt sharing phliosophy.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Unlike Skull, I don't have personal knowledge of the circumstances beyond those contained in the article, but I think that her persuasiveness with those who currently choose not to wear the gear will be somewhat limited because of the obviousness of her mistakes - basically she suffered road rash because she acted stupidly in addition to not wearing the gear.

There will, I've no doubt, be many who will read that article and say words to the effect of "but I'm carefull!"

·
Premium Member
17,475 Posts
I may give my opinion from time to time
Really? I hadn't noticed... :p

If this is what it takes for a young adult to gain public notariety and pity, then it's a poor example at best.
She certainly could have prevented her injuries. I'm with you there. But this doesn't make any sense; she didn't get herself hurt to gain public notoriety and sympathy. If seeing what happened to her convinces some other noob to put cow skin around their own, that's great, even if the facts on the ground (so to speak) don't match the internet image of her post-slide behavior.

From what I'd read, it sounded like her behavior had changed. If it hasn't, then she really does need to learn some better judgment. And as well-known as she is among the riding community, I bet we'll all hear about it if (God forbid) she hurts herself again.

Oh, and Jeff, the smiley you're looking for is :angrysoapbox: :D

·
Registered
964 Posts
Skull Crusher said:
I live very close to where this all originally happened. I know how it happened and have some first hand information about both individuals, their previous stunts and riding habits. She's not the perfect little angel that you want to believe she is. She and her boy friend are pistols, had previous history and were generally out of control when it came to their riding habits on the streets of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. Naturally, this has been carefully excluded in her injury bio or the original story but you can see by her current riding lifestyle and attitude it's a mirror. Jeff:motorbike2:
Jeff, if you had posted this earlier in the thread, we all would have been better informed. This puts things in a different light. I still blame the idiot boyfriend; he ignored the responsibility for the safety of his passenger.

You describe them as pistols and generally out of control; if her parents had been doing their job, this wouldn't have been the case. Today's permissiveness in parenting and the attitude of "my kid can do no wrong", cripples the youth of today and renders them incapable of seeing the consequences of their actions. A size 11 boot to the butt (figuratively, and sometimes literally) is a very effective tool in teaching the concept of seeing those consequences. If not applied before the age of majority; they might as well be a completely retarded moron. It reminds me of an expression,"too big to be a boy, too dumb to be a man".

I DO AGREE, that nobody forced her to get on the bike in the first place. And after reading your post, in my opinion, she should assume more of the responsibility for her injuries, just not all. Several questions come to mind, how is she able to afford a new bike? Does she have a job, or did her parents buy her one? :skeptical:---James.

·
Registered
218 Posts
mistakes

We all make mistakes. Some of us survive our testosterone surges better than others. I hope the pain will be a reminder if there is a next time. What a shame. She is a very pretty young lady. I hope the rider remembers the physical and mental damage created for a lot of people. Youth can be a hard teacher for a lot of people. I sometimes forget the pain my self. Good luck to all and remember to ride safe! :(

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hmmmm

Well, thanks to Skull we now have some other information on the table.
I think Thrux and most of you have expressed your opinion and are all good valid points to the situation.
As Skull reiterates, the pair of riders definitely were hanging out on the ragged edge of sensibility and one of them suffered aggregious injuries because of a choice she made.
I think the broad view, though, is that we all make the choice to wear or not to wear protective gear and what happened to the little missie is a loud and clear message for those of us who choose not to wear protection.
I do agree that pictures of her injuries should be posted far and wide so that others can see what happens when a bad choice is made and should be a part of each and every drivers education course taken in high school along with a set of safety rules regarding motorcycles.
Kids in high school have plenty of money these days and can well afford a crotch rocket. Put them on the street with no education, testosterone and a "Hey guys, watch this" mentality is tantamount to laying land mines on the street for the general public not to mention bike riders.
Great post gentlemen, thank you for expressing your thoughts and opinions on the matter....plenty of food for thought.
koi

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Being a person who was not aware, all you have to do is observe her present lifestyle for and indication of what originally caused the problems. For those of us that already know, there's no need convincing. Your habits have a way of mirroring your life. All you have to do is look a little deeper than the surface. It could have been avoided a long time ago.

Would it have made any difference if she was ugly, Joe? Stupidity effects all genders and ages, beauty or otherwise . Hopefully, by age 20 you've acquired enough intelligence to make better decisions regarding your own safety and life. She's was 19 almost 20 at the time of the accident and knew the risks of her actions, her associations and was reminded many times. There's a point in everyone's life where you have to put aside childish things, to do the right thing. Her parents couldn't cure her stupidity and now she's just stepped into another phase of that pre-accident lifestyle.

I'm ecstatic that she has recovered from her injuries but she's not learned what caused it or dealt with it. This is her reckless attitude in general, which hasn't changed at all. It's a lesson of stupidity for sure but nothing more. My daughter of 33 immediately understood the underlying causes without me having to tell her and she doesn't even know the young lady. This story is not about an innocent young girl, caught up in a bad experience, which she wasn't responsible for. It's about a rebellious teenager, that refused to accept the advice from others and change her adolescent actions. Life's a hard enough task master, the truth is even harder sometimes. I will reserve my pity and empathy for those that truly and righteously deserve it.

Koifarm, what they need is a good shot of European riders training. It's coming too! They will no longer be able to purchase a crotch rocket without showing their continued competencies over a long period. In Europe I believe, you have to ride a moped with a big L for a certain length of time, go thru lengthy training and then are limited until your 21 to a motorcycle under 33 hp before you can ever think about high performance motorcycle. That will weed out some of the morons. I fear the rest will be weeded out by attrition and in the process endanger or kill others.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts