Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience buy an extended warranty for their rocket? Are the available directly from triumph or just warranty companies?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
In the US, extended warranties are sold by some Triumph dealers, but they are not underwritten by Triumph.

I use the word "underwritten" deliberately because they are, in a sense, insurance policies. Some are actually products of insurance companies, although not called insurance because that puts them under an additional layer of regulation in most jurisdictions; while others are offered by legitimate financial services companies looking to make an extra buck or two, like GE. Then, some are from no-name companies that may or may not be there when you need to use the warranty.

Wish I had some good ideas for you on how to tell which is which, apart from asking the dealer who the coverage provider is and how long they've been dealing with them. Just be cautious in accepting their information, though, because the dealership also makes a pretty penny on the sale of the extended warranty.

Even when you're dealing with a big-name, reliable company, you should remember that the warranty will ONLY cover the certain things specified in the policy. In addition, Triumph is not involved in satisfying the warranty claim. Unlike a regular warranty claim, your dealer does the work on your behalf, not Triumph's, and submits the claim to the warranty provider. If it's something they choose not to honor for any reason, Triumph can't intervene on your behalf.

I only chickened out and bought an extended warranty twice: on a DVD player, back when those were new, expensive, and less than totally reliable; and the time I bought a Harley. It turned out I never had to use either one. (Although the Harley one was unique in that GE and Harley do work together on the fulfillment of claims. I was impressed to discover that. Most such warranties are strictly between you and the issuer, and the factory generally has no involvement.)

Also remember: Like any other form of organized gambling, the odds are always in the house's favor. Some folks will benefit from having an extended warranty. Most would do just as well to set that money aside in a bank account in case something does happen between the 24th month (when the real warranty expires) and whenever the loan is finally paid off.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I got one through my dealer when I bought the bike. It's Interstate (800-942-0400). I get them for my cars too. For may last car, it practically paid for itself with one repair. :cool:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have found that if is much cheaper getting an extended policy if you get it BEFORE the warrentee expires. If you wait til after it could be double the cost. Dont wait.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2006-12-03 20:21, Diego wrote:
I use the word "underwritten" deliberately because they are, in a sense, insurance policies. Some are actually products of insurance companies, although not called insurance because that puts them under an additional layer of regulation in most jurisdictions.
ALL extended warranties are a form of insurance regardless of how they're classified under laws of a given state. You are paying a consideration to protect yourself or some other party against future loss or financial burden. That is insurance.

AND like all sound forms of insurance, odds are stacked in favor of the insurors so they will make a profit instead of going broke. So like all other insurance, extended warranties should only be bought to insure against losses you and your family simply can't afford (or losses which would be inconvenient enough you are willing to pay the consideration just for the peace of mind it provides).

·
Registered
617 Posts
On 2006-12-03 20:21, Diego wrote:
Like any other form of organized gambling, the odds are always in the house's favor. Some folks will benefit from having an extended warranty. Most would do just as well to set that money aside in a bank account in case something does happen between the 24th month (when the real warranty expires) and whenever the loan is finally paid off.
Bingo!

I've never bought an extended warranty on anything, and have never needed one. I figure I am so far ahead now that I could get hit with a big repair bill and still be ahead.

One reason, maybe the main reason, I don't buy them is they wouldn't give me any peace of mind. I could just see myself fighting the warranty company tooth and nail to get them to honor the warrantee, or discover at a later date that the fine print precluded coverage of the particular problem I was having.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2006-12-14 20:57, Ugarte wrote:
I've never bought an extended warranty on anything, and have never needed one. I figure I am so far ahead now that I could get hit with a big repair bill and still be ahead.

One reason, maybe the main reason, I don't buy them is they wouldn't give me any peace of mind. I could just see myself fighting the warranty company tooth and nail to get them to honor the warrantee, or discover at a later date that the fine print precluded coverage of the particular problem I was having.
You're taking what's the wise approach generally speaking. People who put some money aside in savings can afford to pay for a repair once in awhile and come out ahead over buying extended warranties which are profit enhancement for the seller.

Hard to convince some people of that. OTOH, there are those who save nothing and are so over-extended a big repair bill might end up causing the vehicle to be repo'd. For them it's probably better to have the extended warranty built into the payment they know they're going to have to make anyway.

Some forms of insurance are necessary. For instance, few of us are rich enough to self-insure against catastrophic illness. Ironically in this country those people who buy extended warranties regularly because they can't afford a repair bill on their big-screen TV often don't have a dime of insurance against the only unexpected bills that can easily run into 5 or 6 figures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts