Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'4" and although I ride comfortably on my 2010 TBird but would love to have an extra 1.5 to 2 inches on the foot controls. I called my local dealer and they told me that Triumph doesn't offer any extended controls. I searched the forums and found no threads on this topic.
Has anyone added extended controls? is after market a viable solution?
I was thinking of having a machine shop custom make some if this thread proves fruitless. Any help out there?!

Thanks for reading...

tlvrider:cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thunderbird Height Issues

I ride a 2009 America and I am 6' 6" and I found the America suited my height better than the Thunderbird. I did see a Thunderbird that had crash bars fitted with an extra set of pegs set out front for cruising that looked ok especially for us tall guys. I know it's not the best option but it is an option. The Goat

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Something can always be custom made, and quite often for a lot less money than the aftermarket Triumph stuff.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Bump, anything yet? I'm 6'5" and need something. I was wonding if floorboards might provide extra footroom
Actually the floor boards will push your knees up, and make you feel more cramped. I am actually planning to back to the pegs for this reason.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Forward controls

I knew I saw them somewhere. Check out these guys. They offer two sizes for the Bird. They aren't giving them away but looks like quality work. Found them on the Thunderbird1600 site a while back.

Motorrad Burchard GmbH

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I have hwy pegs on the front dresser bars I bought the bike used that way. at 5'7" my feet barely reach them but they would probably help you tall guys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lantesh, I am interested in your comment re floorboards as I was thinking of going with them to give me a little more leg room. From what you are saying this could be a waste of money?
Any one else have this experience as well?
I am not overly tall 6 foot but would love a bit more room.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Lantesh, I am interested in your comment re floorboards as I was thinking of going with them to give me a little more leg room. From what you are saying this could be a waste of money?
I love them. they r huge, comfortable, and give a bit more lean in. I can't imagine anyone going back to foot pegs after using floorboards. sometimes I f*#k up shifting with the heel lever but, you get used to it. ( no offence bumping lantesh)

·
Registered
684 Posts
It entirely depends on how long your tibia (main bone between the knee and ankle) bones are in your legs. I have long legs, and a short trunk. So basically the length of my tibia bones is the primary cause my problem. Add to that the fact that I'm in my 40's, and my hips aren't as good as they were 20 years ago. With pegs I can gain a couple of inches by allowing the heels of my boots to hang down below the pegs. This relieves pressure from both my hips and abdomen. With the floorboards it is exactly the opposite. My heels are now above the boards obviously, so insead of gaining length I'm losing it. I actually can't wear my riding boots at all, and have to wear flat shoes when I ride. Still this isn't enough to compensate. The end result is that my knees are too high, which puts too much pressure on my hips. It's not a big deal for a 10 minute ride, but 45 minutes or more, and my hips are really bothering me, and even short rides are not comfortable after eating due abdominal pressure. Also trying to lift my leg even higher than it already is to use the heel shifter hurts my left hip. If I could lower the boards by 2 inches or so everything would be fine, but they aren't adjustable. I may look into having them modifed at some point, but for now I've made an appointment at my dealer this week have the pegs put back on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lantesh, When you made the comment originally and now have explained why it makes perfect sense. I tried the 2010 TBird SE on a test ride and was not impressed with floor boards. Never did get why so many love them. I'm 6'2 and have to ride heels on the controls for my Speedmaster otherwise I'd cramp from hips down. The Bird is better but would not mind some extension. I have solved that with crash bars and highway pegs. I almost went with Kury Swingwings but changed my mind after some quality problems with Kury rear pegs.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Jango I thought about putting some pegs on the crash bars as an alternative, but then I'd be stretching to reach. The stock peg location is just right for me, so that is why I decided to go back to them for now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts