Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone is interested, I thought I would comment on my opinion of my 2017 Explorer. I got it after the 2018's came out because it was marked down to $13,500 and I did not feel the 2018 was $7000 better, plus the 2017 came with the paniers and top box included. The model is the XRt. I have added only a skid plate and bar risers to the bike since new, no other accessories. I am 5'7" and weigh about 170 pounds if that matters, I like to know that when reading reviews.

I am no review writer, so this will be pretty basic list of the good and the bad, if you have a specific question, let me know and I'll be glad to give you my thoughts. All of these are my opinion so take it for what it is worth, which is really nothing, haha.

Bad:
Occasionally the TSAS system acts up and does not seem to settle down. I would say about a dozen or so times this has happened, and turning the bike on and off typically resolves the issue. Not a big deal
The seat started to tear apart this past summer, Triumph warrantied it 100%, so I have a new driver and passenger heated seat now.
The windscreen makes a crappy noise going up and down, this doesn't bother me, but just wanted to note it here, I have had no issue with the functionality of the screen, just that it is noisy. This is actually a great feature on the bike.
The heat from the motor is pretty ****ty! I live in the desert southwest and all bikes suck in the summer, but anything over 80 degrees here, the heat is pretty bad on my legs. If I am fully suited up in riding gear it is less noticeable, but in dungarees or any other pant, it is pretty darn hot. The bike heats up pretty quickly too in stop and go traffic and when the fan kicks on, it blows even more heat your way.
The off road traction control can be a little too engaging at times, however most of the time it is a huge positive, so it will be on both lists. I have ridden other bikes where you can adjust the TC (Honda AT and KTM 1090) and they are a big improvement over the Triumph TC
It is very heavy to pick up, the weight is not very well distributed for this bike, likely due to the big triple in there, but a lot of weight is up high vs the KTM of BMW bikes...this is an issue for me with an aging back. I have seen triumph videos of them picking this bike up 1,2 3, but that is right on the ground in a parking lot for the gut to demo for you. Pick this beast up in sand or on a hillside and it is a different story in the real world. The Tiger 800 is only 75 pounds lighter, but much easier to get up (my wife has this bike, so I have experience there as well - it too suffers from some heat issues, though not as bad).

Good:
In my opinion this is one of, if not the best looking large ADV bike out there. I feel similar about the Tiger 800 in that class.
Very strong motor, just outstanding and so smooth. This thing can run all day and it just feels like it can go on and on forever. So far there is just over 22,000 miles total (4000 off road) on the bike and it feels better than new.
Super comfortable for all day riding, really, just super comfortable on the road, the ergonomics work for me very well in the high or low seat position.
Ride modes all work great and are pretty much perfect for the specific mode. Off road TC is really good, (not great as noted above)
Off road ABS is excellent, I can point this big beast down a loose rock filled hillside and grab a fistful of lever and pull as much as I want, that wheel holds straight.
Easy oil changes
Headlights are outstanding, very bright even in the low beam setting and I like the little adjustability they offer for when you are loaded down and the beam can be lowered a bit.

Some of the negatives do not bother me much, just pointing them out, as there will be something with every bike I probably would like to be different. Overall this is one of the best bikes I have ever owned and I have had quite a few. I love it for touring across the country, daily commuting and taking onto the dirt roads. However, the heat from the motor and the top heavy nature of this bike (only when picking up, it is relatively nimble for a 575+ pound beast) are pretty big negatives for me. These two factors will be guiding me in a different direction on my next bike, but my needs have changed as well and if I didn't do any off road riding this would be great...though the engine heat is definitely a factor and I am sure more so here in Arizona.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Interesting. Maybe top heavy because it is designed to have a good clearance off road? Is the 800 lowered by chance? I know you can get lowered 800s as an option but not sure about the bigger brother.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Thanks for the review Darkstar :smile2:

I've never really taken much notice of anything Explorer related, but unfortunately I'm at the stage where my 955i is showing its age and needs replacing :cry

I always said I'd never buy an Explorer until Triumph put a large enough fuel tank on it for those of us that actually go places. An extra 5 litres of fuel would weigh about 5kg. Not a big price to pay for an extra 50 miles !! :mad:. Looks like that's not going to be the case now, and I'll only ride British bikes, so I'm pretty much stuck with the limited range Explorer :frown2:

I was interested in what you said about it being "top heavy". I've heard this mentioned about the 955i a million and fifty four times on here, but to me it isn't. I never get on the bike and worry about the weight, because I am exactly the right height and weight to ride the bike and my riding skills are top notch, so I never get into situations that worry me. I can't see the Explorer being that much different ?? One of my mates bought one and gave me a quick go in the yard where I work. I was into full lock-to-lock figure of eights within 2 minutes....no big deal :dunno. Moral of the story....don't buy a bike you're not going to be the master of !! :wink2:

I was also interested in what you said about dropping the bike ?? I still don't know why anyone is spending £17,000 on a bike then taking it somewhere where it can be dropped, and it costing a fortune to replace parts ?? Although these bikes are touted as being capable off road......they aren't. They are too heavy and too expensive to replace parts for that !!

As for the engine, gearbox and quick shift. I didn't even know quick shift was available to "normal" bikes until I started looking at Explorer reviews on Youtube. I can imagine the engine being fantastic, and that bit of extra power would be great for someone like me who finds the 955i a bit flat.

I'm looking forward to buying an Explorer, but it boils my p!ss that Triumph still won't put a larger fuel tank on it to give it the range it needs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was interested in what you said about it being "top heavy". I've heard this mentioned about the 955i a million and fifty four times on here, but to me it isn't. I never get on the bike and worry about the weight, because I am exactly the right height and weight to ride the bike...
I agree, the 'top heavy Tiger 1200' tag certainly makes 'easy' copy for lazy journalists and those things just seem to pass in mythology through constant repetition. Yes, I think the Tiger 1200 is a tall(ish) and heavy(ish) bike but it's position doesn't seem to affect me... top heavy? personally I just don't get it... but then again, I'm not trying to do stunts or set the lap record at the IOM on it either (and I suspect, neither are most T1200 owners). Each to their own I guess.
:smile2:

... and my riding skills are top notch
However, I'm not bold enough to make that kind of claim for my own riding abilities! :wink2:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
However, I'm not bold enough to make that kind of claim for my own riding abilities! :wink2:
I think with 36 yrs riding a bike under my belt, 20 yrs as a motorcycle instructor, Institute of Advanced Motorists tutor for bikes, and RoSPA Gold advanced riding certificate and tutor for bikes......I can make that claim :wink2:. There's no way to say it without it sounding conceited and big headed, so I don't even try now. Apologies if it comes across that way though :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I refer to the bike as top heavy only when picking it up, and actually noted that it is quite nimble for a bigger bike, it is very fun to ride. This bike does excellent off road, it is definitely made for that as well as the road, and that is what I used it for, successfully. Off road riding is not for everyone, I get it. In the 4000 miles of off road riding this bike took me on, the damage to the bike was very minimal, one turn signal I replaced from ebay for $25 and one side cover I ordered from my dealer for about $50, so I did not find it too expensive for parts at all. The engine guards that come stock on the bike work excellent, and if I added more crash bars I would have likely not had any damage, but I tend to hold my own on the dirt and we didn't go down too often. Plus the bike did not cost me any more than a new KTM 790R that should definitely be off road, I did not pay $22000 for this bike as noted, only 13.5K.

Fuel mileage, if curious, averaged 42 MPG. The light came on like clockwork at 180 miles, and if I felt like pushing it could get to about 210 miles per tank. Weigh it down a bit, or drive a more spirited, or drive in windy conditions, obviously this number drops, and it drops quickly. I had gotten as low as 32 MPG with a full load crossing the California desert in windy conditions on the interstate with the cruise set at 75 MPH.

These are my personal observations about my experience on this bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts