Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,
im new to the forum and will take the time to introduce myself properly but just in a rush off to work now and hoping i could pick a few brains before so maybe theres some ideas this evening when i return.
I brought a 2003 955 tiger about 6 months ago, been doing loads of work to her as shes been pretty bodged over the years. love her, first triple, really fun bike.
she was running sweet, i put on a thunderbike exhaust and the 10120 TOR map and she ran even nicer for several months then out of the blue she just starts running a bit rough and stalling at lights and being very hard to restart when hot. the only way she will restart is to turn her off and leave for at least 10-20 mins then she splutters back to life missing a bit but recovers and ticks over ok.
ive been tinkering with the ECU with tune ecu and have tried just about everything, reset TPS and triimed the IACV, IFT, LTFT etc- these things all make a difference but dont cure the problem. the IACV interestingly likes to be close to 0 or she suffers from a hanging idle and takes a while to drop, if i set the IACV higher then the stalling problems are perhaps not as bad but they still persist just seem easier to recover from. when i fist plugged into the ECU the IACV had 'adapted' itself to -2.
since then i have changed the plugs, put in a BMC air filter, new fuel filter, new cpc quick release fuel couplers, fresh fuel, cleaned the throttel bodies and IACV/stepper, replaced the IACV hoses for new silicone ones, cleaned all electrical connectors i can find, fitted a lambda bypass and exhaust blank, tried again downloading the stock and 10120 maps and changing the trims around.
Shes got worse if anything although she starts perfectly- revvs up high while she warms up then drops of to idle around 1160-1240. she will tick over for hours like this and responds well to throttle blips, temp guage goes up and fan comes on as normal- all seems fine. problem happens as soon as i put her in gear and blip the throttle, let the clutch out and put some load on the engine she just starts spluttering and missing then within seconds dies and wont want to restart for a good 15mins.
im confused why she will tickover and rev fine until im sitting on her trying to ride. its a mystery to me- any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
next thing is to balance throttle bodies once ive purchased some dials but i cant see it will make a massive difference.
Im puzzled as to why she will sit on the side stand and run fine hot or cold, tickover and rev but wont be ridden for more than a few metres- then why would she not want to start again but will do so just fine after a 'rest'..
what could be causing this.. hmmmm?
after doing all this workand spending loads more cash i fantasise that there is a dodgy sensor or connection somewhere- an easy, quick and cheap fix!
any thoughts appreciated.
thanks guys..

·
Registered
77 Posts
You've done pretty much what I would have and more. It sounds like a fuelling issue if it ticks over ok but falters under load. While I balanced my throttle bodies a while ago (the middle pot was out) and it did run smoother, I'm not sure this is your problem.

My guess is fuel starvation but I'm uncertain what could be causing it. Maybe fuel filter, possibly the pump. If you can hear the pump priming it would suggest it's working but it might not be at the right pressure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's two safety switches to check: side stand and clutch, maybe it's something stupid like that.
Thanks for the response..
I will have another tinker this afternoon after work.
Plan today:
Check and clean sidestand, clutch, and neutral indicator switches.
Check airflow and temp sensors.
Unplug and clean ECU contacts.
Try running the bike with the iacv stepper set closer to its factory setting (25?) and see if the she still stalls and won't restart (it will mess up the idle but may help with diagnosis)
I'm still thinking the problem lies with the iacv or associated electrics or engine management system.
The problem is that it starts to get expensive here if I want to swap in replacement parts e.g iacv, ECU, injectors, sensors and sensor loom.
More ideas really appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You've done pretty much what I would have and more. It sounds like a fuelling issue if it ticks over ok but falters under load. While I balanced my throttle bodies a while ago (the middle pot was out) and it did run smoother, I'm not sure this is your problem.

My guess is fuel starvation but I'm uncertain what could be causing it. Maybe fuel filter, possibly the pump. If you can hear the pump priming it would suggest it's working but it might not be at the right pressure.
Thanks, it's confusing. Fuel starvation keeps popping into my mind too as it seems to tick over OK and runs nicely when I blip the throttle. It is really only when under load or after sustained (4 seconds ish) revving (over 2.5k) on the over run and shutting down that the issues start, and she doesn't even improve if the throttle is immediately opened again. It has a new filter and the fuel pump primes fine and she starts well. Maybe the pump or ECU control of pump could still be at fault. I've also run with the tank cap open to eliminate the chance of a blocked breather. It's so strange she won't start for 15mins after stalling even if I turn ignition on and off a few times to reprime the fuel rail. This makes me wonder if maybe she's flooded? Hmmm

·
Registered
135 Posts
HI all,
im new to the forum and will take the time to introduce myself properly but just in a rush off to work now and hoping i could pick a few brains before so maybe theres some ideas this evening when i return.
I brought a 2003 955 tiger about 6 months ago, been doing loads of work to her as shes been pretty bodged over the years. love her, first triple, really fun bike.
she was running sweet, i put on a thunderbike exhaust and the 10120 TOR map and she ran even nicer for several months then out of the blue she just starts running a bit rough and stalling at lights and being very hard to restart when hot. the only way she will restart is to turn her off and leave for at least 10-20 mins then she splutters back to life missing a bit but recovers and ticks over ok.
ive been tinkering with the ECU with tune ecu and have tried just about everything, reset TPS and triimed the IACV, IFT, LTFT etc- these things all make a difference but dont cure the problem. the IACV interestingly likes to be close to 0 or she suffers from a hanging idle and takes a while to drop, if i set the IACV higher then the stalling problems are perhaps not as bad but they still persist just seem easier to recover from. when i fist plugged into the ECU the IACV had 'adapted' itself to -2.
since then i have changed the plugs, put in a BMC air filter, new fuel filter, new cpc quick release fuel couplers, fresh fuel, cleaned the throttel bodies and IACV/stepper, replaced the IACV hoses for new silicone ones, cleaned all electrical connectors i can find, fitted a lambda bypass and exhaust blank, tried again downloading the stock and 10120 maps and changing the trims around.
Shes got worse if anything although she starts perfectly- revvs up high while she warms up then drops of to idle around 1160-1240. she will tick over for hours like this and responds well to throttle blips, temp guage goes up and fan comes on as normal- all seems fine. problem happens as soon as i put her in gear and blip the throttle, let the clutch out and put some load on the engine she just starts spluttering and missing then within seconds dies and wont want to restart for a good 15mins.
im confused why she will tickover and rev fine until im sitting on her trying to ride. its a mystery to me- any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
next thing is to balance throttle bodies once ive purchased some dials but i cant see it will make a massive difference.
Im puzzled as to why she will sit on the side stand and run fine hot or cold, tickover and rev but wont be ridden for more than a few metres- then why would she not want to start again but will do so just fine after a 'rest'..
what could be causing this.. hmmmm?
after doing all this workand spending loads more cash i fantasise that there is a dodgy sensor or connection somewhere- an easy, quick and cheap fix!
any thoughts appreciated.
thanks guys..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Matty, I feel your pain mate, when I got my 2001 955 this time last year I had running issues too, the aicv hoses were perished the stepper motor fell apart, when I serviced it it had 3 odd spark plugs in and the air filter was dated 2004, I replaced the stepper and like you fitted silicone hoses but because they turn so sharply the silicone hoses crease and stop air flow, that's why the triumph hoses are corrigated to stop them folding, they are expensive for what they are but do work well, balancing my throttle bodies made a huge difference, the bike was night and day different after that, also the 10120 map is the stock map, 10121 is the tor map. although I don't think the map is your problem it should run with either. my bike runs like a swiss watch now im very happy with it, you will crack it just takes time and a bit of trial and error but when you get it sorted you will love it,great bikes. best of luck mate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Matty, I feel your pain mate, when I got my 2001 955 this time last year I had running issues too, the aicv hoses were perished the stepper motor fell apart, when I serviced it it had 3 odd spark plugs in and the air filter was dated 2004, I replaced the stepper and like you fitted silicone hoses but because they turn so sharply the silicone hoses crease and stop air flow, that's why the triumph hoses are corrigated to stop them folding, they are expensive for what they are but do work well, balancing my throttle bodies made a huge difference, the bike was night and day different after that, also the 10120 map is the stock map, 10121 is the tor map. although I don't think the map is your problem it should run with either. my bike runs like a swiss watch now im very happy with it, you will crack it just takes time and a bit of trial and error but when you get it sorted you will love it,great bikes. best of luck mate.
Thanks for the morale boost.
your right on the map that was a typp- i should of written 10121!
the silicone hoses ive used for the IACV have been very carefully routed and curled so have not kinked/creased.
feel like ive made some progress finally today:
cleaned all the ECU and associated electrical connectors and coated with petroleum jelly to keep them in good nick.
tested fuel pump as best i could and it is certainly priming well (well enough to start) and builds good pressure in the rail, also the current getting to it from the relay is consistent.
im back to thinking the issue is with the fueling specifically relating to the IACV and throttle bodies.
I used tune ECU to set the stepper to 25 (it keeps adapting back down to 20 then lower and lower- i assume the ECU is attempting to rectify the high idle) and took her out for a ride and she was absolutley fine, only issue is high tick over and hanging idle as expected, this indicated to me that probably just the throttle bodies are very out of sych, unless there is an air intake leak somewhere..
its a strange sequence of events:
running perfect
intermittent stalling at lights and hard starting when hot
worsening of problems
cutting out on overrun after sustained revving/high loads
real problems restarting after stalling.
continued worsening of issues
plug in tune ECU to find IACV has adapted itself to -2
replace plugs, air filter, fuel couplers, fuel filter, lambda bypass, new fuel, new IACV hoses, clean throttle bodies and stepper motor.
problem persists..

At last though i can see what a drastic effect the IACV has on the running of the bike. im hoping that the throttle bodies are so out of synch that this is resulting in a high and unstable idle speed and the ECU is getting confused and trying to adapt the IACV stepper down to limit the airflow and reduce the IDLE speed- in affect though its just causing all sorts of horrible fueling problems across the rev range.
to the experts- is the above plausable?

i will order a set of carb balancers tomorrow and sych up those throttle bodies then see if the IACV will sit in the range of 25-35 without an abnormal tickover and hanging idle.. im hopefull..
its forced me to learn a lot about FI systems in a short time as ive only had carb bikes before.
very interesting stuff, if a little frustrating!

opinions and ideas still very much appeciated..

·
Registered
135 Posts
something I noticed with mine, before I balanced the throttle bodies on the overrun when slowing down for red lights etc, the exhaust would pop and crackle like mad, however once they were set spot on it no longer pops, mine were way out, as you know on a carbed bike when you shut off the throttle the butterflys don't shut entirely to allow air flow for tick over while your on the pilot jets, however on your triumph the butterflys do shut but the stepper motor opens to allow air flow for tick over, if your throttle bodies are badly out one of the butterflys might not be closing thus letting air through as well as the stepper motor if that's the case where ever you set the stepper your never gonna get the tick over even. you already said you set the tps which tells the ecu when to open or close the stepper but if a butterfly is not quite closing the ecu might be retrimming the aicv to compensate. just a thought as you have more or less ruled everything else out, best of luck with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts