Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm back from my dealer (in Belgium) with a Maintenance bill of 600 euros (420£/780$) for the 20.000 km (12.400 miles) maintenance checkup. Ok he also changed both front and rear braking pads... but this still really seems a lot of money.

There was nothing else special to do on the bike, just the regular check. He had 5 hours of work on the bike... I wonder... what did he do for 5 hours ????

I'de really like to have your feeling on this. Did you also pay so much money for that maintenance check ?

Thanx for your feedback

·
Registered
190 Posts
12k is when the maintenance schedule calls for a valve check and adjustment if necessary. Although we did this in house, if done at the dealer it could take a fair amount of time i suppose. Still...600 freakin Euro is a lot of money.

Did he do the valves?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes it is an expensive service. I was quoted £450 from a Dealer in the UK for this service.:eek:

It is a big job as its the valve check and re-shim. To do this its tank off and remove airbox. Also its chnge the fork oil as well as the usual checks.:mad:

You will find a service schedule on one of the posts if you perform a search. I cant remember the link. Suggest you print this off and ask your dealer if they completed all the work as detailed.

Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thats alot of dosh for a lot of basic stuff like checking things.:eek:
Oil filter and oil change,air filter, spark plugs and replacing brake fluid thats all basic stuff.
I removed all the plastics , tank and air filter housing for the first time last week and only took about 40 minutes.
I see from the inspection sheet that the valves are charged at an extra rate if they need re-shimming.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx and waiting for more ;-)

Thanx for the info to all.

I"ll ask for more details to my dealer. But even if everything has been done according to the service sheet it still is a lot of money.
More... how can I be sure he did what he says ? (ex. valve synchro)

I must admit I was thinking of getting a Yamaha TDM if this is a "common triumph service cost"... but ******mit I like my Tiger.

Please still react if you think this maintenance cost is too expensive.

ps: I drive almost 40.000 km a year and will not be able to afford such regular costs...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would guess the 5 hours labour is the lion share of the bill. As Nutter suggests, doing as much as you can could reduce the 'Labour' charge considerably.

I have taken the route of home maintenance for a few reasons...

1, I know the job has been done! (properly) :)
2, If i can't do the job (ie valve shims) I will take it to a mechanic that charges less for labour (not a dealer).
3, My handbook doesn't have any dealer stamps on it but i've saved what i would lose on resale value. Anyone can see my bike is well maintained and i have all receipts for oil/filters/chains etc.
4, I wouldn't trust a dealer as far as i could throw him........

·
Registered
37 Posts
The price you paid for the service including valve adjustment sounds like it would be about right from a Triumph deeler.
For the likes of valve adjustment and throttle sync try an independant bike garage. As for everything else do it youself then as Boney says "I know the job has been done! (properly)"
You could even try a search on here about carrying out a valve check.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was quoted £620 (yes, that's pounds!) for my 12k service 5 months ago. Plus the cost of the shims - but thats only about £3/shim, and you don't always need any replacing.

I have shimmed engines before, and owned most of the tools required, so I was quite confident of doing the job. It's just that I prefer to invest in local industry and use my time on more hedonistic activity. Nevertheless, I am from Yorkshire so I did it myself.

I now know why it costs so much! I paid more than £120 (Triumph-online are good value & quick to respond) for the various bits + £50 for the valve tool, in addition I probably took about 14 hours all told and had to wait a couple of days for the 3 shims I needed.

As has been previously said, I now know the job has been satisfactorily completed and the bond between Tigger and I is now closer. Next time I do it I reckon I can get it done in les than 8 hours.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Unfortunately, that's the standard price for a major Tiger service at a Triumph Dealer :eek:

Is it worth it ??

If your bike is under the two year warranty - Yes, because if you have a major mechanical failure the Triumph warranty will cover it.

If your bike is out of it's two year warranty - No, get the checks done by someone you trust, or yourself, for much less than half the price.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am in the middle of doing a 24000 service on my 06 Tiger. Cost of the bits is around £100, I did not renew the air filter as it was very clean, just blew it out with an airline. If your bike is still under warranty then it is sensible to get it done by a proper workshop. I am told it does not have to be a Triumph dealer but they must use Triumph parts and have the same type of equipment as the Triumph shop but don't quote me on that! :)

Get yourself a manual and do the work yourself, you will save a bundle, it's not rocket science (unless you have a Rocket 3) :D

Andy.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
My Tiger only has 15000km so I have that joy yet to come ;)

But my S3 had it's 20,000km last year and that was AUD$808 - which sounds very like your £420-450.

I tend to do my own oil/oil filter change at 6000km and then put the bike in for a service at 12000km (not 10000km). This means she has new oil nearly twice as often as recommended, and I stretch the service costs out by 20% for the price of oil & filet (about $40).

Russ

·
Registered
150 Posts
other Makes?

How is the experience with other brands? Both dealer costs, parts, and availability/downtime. A MC that spends time in the shop instead of on the road, or costs so much to maintain you need a second job is good only as a toy.

·
Registered
355 Posts
In my experience, Triumph dealerships are significantly dearer than most of
the other mainstream manufacturers and offer little better or worse service.

The only make I would have dealer serviced is BMW. The servicing costs are
generally cheaper than the rest and the bikes retain good residual values, which,
is definitely not the case with Triumph.

I've always hedged my bets with servicing. I let the dealership do the 600 mile first service (labour free) and then access the situation at the 6000 mile interval. This is usually about 9 months for me. If you're going to get problems with the bike, they usually occur within the first 6000 miles/ 12 months and you should get them sorted before the service interval.

If the bikes running well and I've not had too many warranty type issues, then I'm inclined to service it myself and chance any warranty issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
www.eds-service.com

In the U.S. Eds Service is one of the oldest Triumph dealers. He is in his 80's and still works on all the bikes in his shop. He is truly and amazing guy.
A good way to find out if you got "ripped off" would be to e-mail Stacy and ask her how much it would have cost to have the service done in their shop. This bike shop is an amazing place. Everyone there is VERY friendly...and helpful!!
If it is not too much trouble let me know what you find out. I am curious.
Have a good holiday.
Mr. Pete--->

·
Registered
166 Posts
Valve shimms are expensive to check.

When my Honda VFR750 had them checked at 17000 miles they were all in spec.

My SV1000 was checked at 12,000 and 30,000 miles, still al in spec.

A lot of money wasted but if they had been out, how much more colud it have cost me in burnt out valves, pistons etc.

Air filters may appear clean but are so cheap to replace you should do it umless it's a K&N type.

I ran my bike on a dyno, then cleaned the air filter and got an instant 4 bhp increase, that was after only 7000 miles.

While everything else is all stripped off, you might as well change plugs too for what they cost.

Carb or throttle bodies balancing is also worth checking every 10,000 miles as they do start to wander with wear.

Pete

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Pete
I would classify this as a dumb question, but here goes anyway. I have had carburated bikes for years, my last 2 bikes were Yamaha FZ-1's. Very easy to sync the carburators, but then I bought the 07 Speed Triple, and I am at a loss about syncing these fuel injected engines. I assume it is the same drill and when I had the dealer install the TOS tune, that is about the same as rejetting a carburator, and has nothing to do with the sync of the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Pete
I would classify this as a dumb question, but here goes anyway. I have had carburated bikes for years, my last 2 bikes were Yamaha FZ-1's. Very easy to sync the carburators, but then I bought the 07 Speed Triple, and I am at a loss about syncing these fuel injected engines. I assume it is the same drill and when I had the dealer install the TOS tune, that is about the same as rejetting a carburator, and has nothing to do with the sync of the throttle bodies.
Your assumption is correct.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Thats alot of dosh for a lot of basic stuff like checking things.:eek:
Oil filter and oil change,air filter, spark plugs and replacing brake fluid thats all basic stuff.
I removed all the plastics , tank and air filter housing for the first time last week and only took about 40 minutes.
I see from the inspection sheet that the valves are charged at an extra rate if they need re-shimming.
Basic stuff or not, it takes time. You say it took 40 minutes to get the plastics off. Well that's also 40 minutes to put it back. Hour & a half just getting it prepared.
My tip is to do it yourself once the bike is out of warranty. I was still charged £150 for a valve shimming and throttle balance and most of that was labour. So at 48K I did it all myself.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Unfortunately, that's the standard price for a major Tiger service at a Triumph Dealer :eek:

Is it worth it ??

If your bike is under the two year warranty - Yes, because if you have a major mechanical failure the Triumph warranty will cover it.

If your bike is out of it's two year warranty - No, get the checks done by someone you trust, or yourself, for much less than half the price.
I agree with Graeme.

However on my last service, which included a valve shim check, I decided to have my dealer measure things up (normally I do ALL my own basic maintenance)... but to save a few $$, I removed the tank, seats and airbox, and had the dealer come pick my Tiger up, and then drop it off when they were done.

Its funny, my dealer has complimentary pick-up/drop-off service if you live within the city, but will charge an arm and a leg for hourly rates to dissassemble and reassemble a motorcycle...

so its better to do that bit yourself, if you can swing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts