Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been spending some free time ripping the Speed apart for it's 12K mile valve clearance check, and have stumbled onto an odd road block. The service manual shows a spring-clamp holding the hose to the radiator, but I have this permanent looking clamp. What is it, and what is the method of removal. I'm ashamed such a trivial thing is holding me up. :|

Manual:

Bastard clamp:

·
Super Moderator
22,143 Posts
because it's a crimp-type clamp :D
Quite common in factory applications, especially on fuel hoses - very easy & quick to apply; though not so easy to remove.
You can stick a screwdriver or something in the slot and try to wedge it open or cutters to chop through it (although its likely to be very hard to cut with cutters)
Here is a dremel method

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Is this for the coolant flush? I ended up just taking the other end off instead. Though probably not a bad idea to remove and replace with a small actual hose clamp.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
because it's a crimp-type clamp :D
Quite common in factory applications, especially on fuel hoses - very easy & quick to apply; though not so easy to remove.
You can stick a screwdriver or something in the slot and try to wedge it open or cutters to chop through it (although its likely to be very hard to cut with cutters)
Here is a dremel method
Thanks - I was thinking about using my dremel. What a pain for such a small connection!

Is this for the coolant flush? I ended up just taking the other end off instead. Though probably not a bad idea to remove and replace with a small actual hose clamp.
This is to gain access to the camshaft cover for the valve clearance check. I briefly considered removing the other end, which did have the easy to remove clamp, but figured it would be a bigger pain to thread the hose under the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It doesn't need to be removed for the cam cover removal. I just usually move it to the side, or whatever, but I don't think it's ever really been in the way. Done that job twice now with swapping cams the second time. Unless they cut the hoses not even close to the same length.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't need to be removed for the cam cover removal. I just usually move it to the side, or whatever, but I don't think it's ever really been in the way. Done that job twice now with swapping cams the second time. Unless they cut the hoses not even close to the same length.
Good to know, although I don't think there is too much slack on mine to move. I'll probably just replace the clamp anyway - deal with it now rather than later.

As for the valve clearance, did you have to replace shims either time? I'm hoping mine is in spec so I can button her back up sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The second time I did only because I upgraded the cams, but the first time in did them they were pretty much right in the middle of the range and none were replaced. I don't think I would have had to touch them the second time either otherwise.

Seems to be very uncommon to have to swap them out early.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The second time I did only because I upgraded the cams, but the first time in did them they were pretty much right in the middle of the range and none were replaced. I don't think I would have had to touch them the second time either otherwise.

Seems to be very uncommon to have to swap them out early.
Good to hear. I've done my SV 3 times now - first 2 times I had to replace a few shims, 3rd time everything was in spec.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
With the holiday coming up, I decided to take off from work today and give Speedie some TLC. Got the bastard clamp off:

Now I'm trying to get the bastard cam cover off... I've been going at it with a rubber mallet to no avail. Any tips? Offensive language is almost exhausted...:wink2:

[EDIT] Got it... now to maneuver out.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Dude that valve cover was a bitch to get loose the first time around, just kept at it with the rubber mallet until finally got it loose. Saw you eventually got it, and I'm convinced choice language helps coax it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts