Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1401 - 1420 of 1460 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
DB Killer for Norman Hyde Peashooter?

Hi,

I know the Norman Hyde Classic (or Togas) has available DB Killer from the same NH, but not the Peashooters.
Is there any DB Killer suitable for Norman Hyde Peashooters? Enough to give a try to pass the noise test... Just do not want to fit the OEM exhaust every year for the check.

Thxs!

·
Registered
179 Posts
TEC 2 into 1 on carb Bonnie - nice!

I installed this TEC "cafe" 2 into 1 exhaust on my 01 Bonnie and like the results. The bike had TORS, which had been installed by the dealer when it was new, and I had removed the airbox and AI, and rejetted. With the TEC exhaust, the bike is more powerful than it was with the TORS, especially in the midrange, and sounds about the same, with the baffle installed. It's also about half the weight of the original exhaust system.

Installed in about an hour. Removing the old exhaust took longer than installing the new one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had some of those Hellermann micros once, but for safety and visibility I decided to fit some from a Yamaha cruiser, larger than the OEM, made of real metal and boasting a wattage of 21w against the puny OEM 10w. Details and photos on this post:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/145104-alternative-flashers-not-cool-but-well-visible.html

My bike is now due for the obligatory vehicle inspection (like the MOT test but far stricter). I'm in the process of undoing a lot of my mods, otherwise it won't pass. One of the mods is the exhaust. They test for CO emissions and the Arrows, without catalysers (and AI system), simply won't do.

As I had to replace the original pipes with a view to installing also the original catalysed silencers to attend the test, I thought I'd try some TOGAS. The sound is superb but the fitting is not (on the cast wheel models at least).

Tried all sorts of things: bending brackets, twisting silencer on the pipe, etc but it kept rubbing on the swingarm. In the end I removed the second rubber mounting, the one that fits in the silencer hanger and is housed inside the passenger footpeg frame fitting, used an M10 nut to centralise the fixing bolt and fill the large bracket hole, fitted the existing oversize M8 washer and now it's solidly attached to the frame. No problems so far.

As the TOGAS have been marketed for a long time and old Norman Hyde has a good reputation here I didn't think to check the forum for fitting difficulties but I did later and found just two instances, the solutions exposed in them didn't work for me:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/176533-new-togas-hit-the-swingarms-why.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/238825-help-needed-with-togas.html
Hey Forchetto I'm sorry for rescuing this comment from the dead. Being Spanish I'd like to know the experience you've had in "la p*** ITV" with the O2 sensors and SAI deleted and a TTP remap, speaking about emissions.

I guess I'll put the stock exhausts since the 2 into 1 I want it isn't marked as street legal but I wouldn't want to undo the other stuff too :frown2:

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
20,738 Posts
Hey Forchetto I'm sorry for rescuing this comment from the dead. Being Spanish I'd like to know the experience you've had in "la p*** ITV" with the O2 sensors and SAI deleted and a TTP remap, speaking about emissions.

I guess I'll put the stock exhausts since the 2 into 1 I want it isn't marked as street legal but I wouldn't want to undo the other stuff too :frown2:Cheers!
I reinstalled the standard pipes and silencers with their catalysers, put back the AI as that works together with the cats and reconnected the O2 sensors, re-flashed the ECU with a standard tune map (20187 for my year).

Even so and having fitted a single seat and removed the passenger footpegs as I never carry anyone, I was told to put the pegs back as the bike's paperwork states it's a 2-seater...:(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Loudness Check / Scale:

I'm stealing this from another forum, because it looked really helpful:

1/10 Stock exhaust
3/10 TORS
4/10 Norman Hyde Peashooters
5/10 Norman Hyde TOGA
6/10 Dominator Touring
7/10 Dunstall Replica
8/10 Predator BC's sleepers
9/10 Emgo reverse cone shorty
10/10 D&D megaphones
11 /10 Straight pipes

So I'm curious where would you put Epco and Bassani?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I installed this TEC "cafe" 2 into 1 exhaust on my 01 Bonnie and like the results. The bike had TORS, which had been installed by the dealer when it was new, and I had removed the airbox and AI, and rejetted. With the TEC exhaust, the bike is more powerful than it was with the TORS, especially in the midrange, and sounds about the same, with the baffle installed. It's also about half the weight of the original exhaust system.

Installed in about an hour. Removing the old exhaust took longer than installing the new one.

I love the look of your bike. I just got a 2001 so I’m moving in that direction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just completed my first major mod to my 2016 Thruxton: Cone Engineering Dominator Touring exhaust slip-ones. They sound exactly as I wanted them to, except for the crackling and popping being much more pronounced now. I have a Breathe airbox cover and DNA airbox filter coming from TTP next week, then I'll ride to my dealer to re-tune and HOPEFULLY that will get rid of the popping. The Dominators are slightly shorter and significantly lighter than the stock mufflers. Very happy with the look and sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking at these in the next few weeks for my thruxton. I was torn between the Touring and Sport, what helped sway your mind one way over the other?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am looking at these in the next few weeks for my thruxton. I was torn between the Touring and Sport, what helped sway your mind one way over the other?

I called the guys at Cone to ask about the sound. The sport is loud all the time. The Touring sounds fantastic but the difference is: the Touring can be pretty quiet when you want them to be (liking going in & out of my neighborhood) just by controlling how much you open the throttle. Crank it back and the baffle opens up and you get that deep braaap, braaap. Roll it back easy and you can slip in and out of the hood in the morning without becoming the next topic of discussion at the HOA meeting. I get lots of compliments on the sound at traffic lights and group rides.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

New to the forum here but I recently bought a 2010 Thruxton 900 and was looking to swap out the exhausts. The stock exhausts are a little too quiet for my taste and was wanting to hear some suggestions for some louder pipes. I live in a residential building so I don't want to draw too much attention but definitely louder (this isn't a scooter at the end of the day).

My biggest concern with looking at slip-ons is the mounting. Many of the available ones are listed for Bonnies and while I know its essentially the same bike, Thruxton exhausts are mounted a bit higher, so I want to make sure I get slip-ons that fit before I pay for them only to have them not fit.

Anything under $700 (US) would be pretty great, but I definitely don't want to spend $700 if that slip-on is all looks and not performance.

Anything helps just really new to the bike world and am hoping to make this bike a bit of a hobby/project.

thanks guys!

PS: If this isnt the correct thread for this anyone that could kindly redirect me would be amazing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys,

New to the forum here but I recently bought a 2010 Thruxton 900 and was looking to swap out the exhausts. The stock exhausts are a little too quiet for my taste and was wanting to hear some suggestions for some louder pipes. I live in a residential building so I don't want to draw too much attention but definitely louder (this isn't a scooter at the end of the day).

My biggest concern with looking at slip-ons is the mounting. Many of the available ones are listed for Bonnies and while I know its essentially the same bike, Thruxton exhausts are mounted a bit higher, so I want to make sure I get slip-ons that fit before I pay for them only to have them not fit.

Anything under $700 (US) would be pretty great, but I definitely don't want to spend $700 if that slip-on is all looks and not performance.

Anything helps just really new to the bike world and am hoping to make this bike a bit of a hobby/project.

thanks guys!

PS: If this isnt the correct thread for this anyone that could kindly redirect me would be amazing.

Cone Engineering Dominator Touring.

This will give you an idea of how they sound.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I second the Dominator Touring. I had an older set from TPUSA on my Thruxton and performance, fit and sound was perfect! Sold the bike and now have a '15 Newchruch, i.e Bonnie with a Mag wheel, love the bike, .... but ... fitted a set of Dominator sports, as I wanted a few more horsepower! Firstly they now from Cone Engineering. The fit was a little different, but ok. Sound wise :( ... way too loud for my old ears! I will be ordering a set of Tourings and will put the Sports on the board!

I also have a set of Emgos, fit is difficult, so much so I gave up and ordered the Sports as above! Touring is a great choice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys,

thanks guys!

I’ll third the Dominator Touring slip ons from Cone Engineering. Easy to install, great fit and look, and really great sound. Not too loud when gradually easing on the throttle (like in the neighborhood) and a deep, throaty BRAAAP when you crack the throttle back to accelerate. Everyone compliments mine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey guys,

thanks guys!

Check out Carpy's Cafe Racer Monarchs. They mount like Preds and Dominators, come 21" or shortys, handmade, sound the part and only $400 bucks. I am awaiting a pair in raw stainless steel as we speak.

http://carpyscaferacers.com/shop/exhaust-triumph-thruxton/monarch-megaphones-triumph-thruxton/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi guys, sorry if this has been answered before but I cant find the answer...
Di you know if the TORs that was fitted on a 2001 Bonnie would also fit on a 2012 EFI T100?
I bought the -01 Bonnie and I have totally rebuilt it with new parts and now I have a potential buyer that is interested in the TORs but I want to make sure they will fit his bike before I sell them. The Triumph part numbers are A9601024 (right) and A9601023 (left). Thanks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
2013 Mag Wheel Bonneville TORS sound levels...

I'm considering a FMF slip-on for my little 250 DS bike and wanted some sort of measurement for comparison. Bought a 2 buck app for the phone and these are my completely unscientific results. Maybe they'll be of some use. Stock except for the TORS and disabled AI. I don't have a tach, so "half throttle" is an approximation. I measured the levels siting on the side of an empty country road, surrounded by bare dirt. The phone sat on a hockey puck on the roadside, about 6' back and 3' over. Readings from the cockpit were only a db less.

Fast idle (starting enrichment setting) 83 db

Idle 73 db

1/2 throttle (depending on where I 'felt' that was at the moment) peaked at 108-112 db

Again, not scientific, but it should help when watching YouTube videos of folks using similar apps on their exhausts. Of course a 250 at that volume might make a more 'annoying' sound...(?).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys or girls. I have a 2014 America LT with stock pipes.Hate the sound or lack of,but love the bike.
I have a chance to buy some barely used TORS shorty tapered pipes. I can't find any videos on youtube to hear them.
Will they make much of a difference from stock and will I need to remap afterwards?
Any help would be appreciated.

1401 - 1420 of 1460 Posts