Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Header/Exhaust Wrap has anyone used this on the R3 headers? Does it reduce the heat eing thrown off the headers or is a waist of time...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-11-28 20:22, Lee wrote:
Header/Exhaust Wrap has anyone used this on the R3 headers? Does it reduce the heat eing thrown off the headers or is a waist of time...
I talked to an engineer about it at work and he thought it was a great idea which people do on cars. He showed me a diesel generator he had installed in a towable trailer. The exhaust was wrapped where it went through the trailer wall. It's like ceramically coating the headers and pipes. The heat goes out the end of the pipes rather than burning your leg off. Can you get the wrap under the chrome heat shields so it doesn't look like *****? :cool:

[ This message was edited by: dougl on 2006-11-28 22:07 ]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not used on my Rocket but I use it on my Boss Hoss and it does really make a difference. You couldn't stand the heat off the headers in slow or stopped traffic. You have to just make sure that you wrap it correctly, wet it and make sure you wrap it tightly and fasten it with the clamps and then follow the procedures of curing it. I can lay my hand on it while it is running and not get burned.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So where does all that heat energy go if not down the exhaust? I would think it stays in the engine which puts a greater demand on the oil and radiator coolant to take it out of the engine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have had it on the stainless steel headers of my 1995 sprint for more than a year. never had a moment's problem. my guess is it would greatly reduce radiant heat from the headers of the rocket.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thatis a good question if the headers are wrapped and retain the heat (decreased air cooling) does it cause a problem with the cooling system or does it just stay at the same temp expelling heat out the exhaust? Does any one know? thanks lee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Without the heat wrap on the Boss I have the temp on the feet in traffic is really bad. I have not noticed any change in engine temp even in heavy stop and go traffic like Daytona and stuff. I think that it is just basically an insulator and transfers the heat straight out the exhaust. Anyway the wrap was getting a little ragged and I pulled it off and ran it without and it was hot, the heat that radiated off was cooking my ankle, so I re-wrapped it, found cheaper at Jeg's and Summit, and as long as you keep it tight and wet it when you wrap it it really works well and looks good. I started wrapping Harley pipes almost 2 years ago at the shop after a customer came in and seen me doing it on the drag bike and after that it has been sort of a fad but functional thing here. I like it because you can actually touch the pipe after it has been running and not get burned. I am going to wrap my rocket when I figure what pipe I want to use, was going to use the Jardines, but I am kind of liking the Zard's,really cool and different look, just wish I knew what they sounded like.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am going to wrap the headers for next year. I will post the outcome next season. thank you everyone for your help. Lee

·
Registered
18 Posts
On 2006-11-30 11:31, rktmn3 wrote:
So where does all that heat energy go if not down the exhaust? I would think it stays in the engine which puts a greater demand on the oil and radiator coolant to take it out of the engine.
It's pretty simple really--conduction, convection, and radiation is where heat goes. Wrapping the exhaust pipes is like using a Thermos, hot on the inside cooler on the outside. No way this is going to put a greater demand on the engine, it may increase the temp of the exhaust pipe itself due to less convection and radiation but it won't keep any heat in the engine. The only miniscule effect would be if you wrapped it within one inch of the exhaust port then you might see a difference in conduction. The pipe would be hotter and sure, if the pipe was 300 degrees F below zero, then you'ld see a heat transfer from the engine to the exhaust pipe but the exhaust is forcible shoved out the pipe and from a heat standpoint, the engine doesn't care about the temp of the exhaust when it goes out the end of the pipe. Exhaust valve temps can spike without exhaust wrap and you'll never see a difference in the indicated water or oil temp but you will on an exhaust temp sensor. Still, considering what was mentioned as the topic for this thread, exhaust wrap is not going to hurt the engine. If you had a highly conductive exhaust gasket and put a blow torch on the surface of the pipe within three inches of the block and got it up to 12,000 degrees you might be able to measure something but the primary purpose of an exhaust pipe isn't to be a heat sink for the block and if you're worried about the minor effects of conduction in this case then don't start the wrap within the first couple of inches.

[ This message was edited by: curverunner on 2006-12-09 14:39 ]

·
Registered
222 Posts
I used it on my first Rocket (05) and when i traded it in and got the 06 Rocket Classic the first thing i noticed was how hot it was. I got some more header wrap from the auto parts store and did the new one as well.
Works fine, never a problem.
You will notice it smokes the first time you start it up as the wrap cures itself but then its fine after that.. smokes pretty good for about 10 mins so dont be allarmed.. the fire dept may come haa haa... i had the fan in my garage going and it blew the smoke down the street.. funny..
Also you will need some 2" hose clamps because the ones that hold the head pipe will not fit around the pipe with the heat wrap on it. You may also want to get some extra hose clamps because you will need them to hold the wrap in place..
Good luck take your time and follow instructions. (moisten before wrapping) It makes a difference of about 25-35% in heat reduction.. it rally does help, especially in the hot summer.. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts