Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the new exhaust on order and I am wondering if anyone knows what size (diameter x thread pitch x length) the exhaust studs are.

Mine are quite rusty and would just like to have some new ones on back up just in case "it" happens :censored:

Also I know stainless is a bad idea here, but any idea if zinc plated steel would hold up better than stock?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
leave the studs alone. sweat knows.
If "it" happens then you got bigger problems than trying to find studs.
"it" will not happen if you just put the new headers on.

they're m8X26 you can get them on Bike Bandit $1.75 each and you better hope like hell that you don't need one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would LOVE to but its a full system, IE new headers and cans. Best case the nuts will come off no problem, throw the new pipes on and new nuts, good to go. Worst case i try loosening the nut and hear that awful snap sound and my neighbors hear lots of swearing.

edit: I can weld and have access to a TIG welder and machine shop that's less than a block away from me so not to worried about it other than having to wait for more parts to come in with new pipes sitting in the garage

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
the nuts should come right off. at least mine did.
I used a q-tip and MMO (not the best but I had it handy). Let it work for a couple of days and presto.

good luck
You'll be OK

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I would LOVE to but its a full system, IE new headers and cans. Best case the nuts will come off no problem, throw the new pipes on and new nuts, good to go. Worst case i try loosening the nut and hear that awful snap sound and my neighbors hear lots of swearing.

edit: I can weld and have access to a TIG welder and machine shop that's less than a block away from me so not to worried about it other than having to wait for more parts to come in with new pipes sitting in the garage
if you break a stud off inside the head you'll be pulling the head off the engine so the machine shop can spark erode it (EDM machine). Ask me how I know...

again, don't mess with the studs. New ones will just rust like the old ones did.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Install the nuts with a good dose of graphite grease. The theory is that graphite is very slippery so when the grease bit has boiled off it leaves the graphite behind which makes removing the nuts easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts