Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at the exhaust studs on the downpipes I'm intending on replacing and it looks like they were made of ultra mild steel. Both the nuts and studs are very rusty.

Are they generic exhaust studs? Are they likely to be available at my local Honda dealer (around the corner) or would I have to go to a Triumph dealer (miles away)? If not, do you know their spec? It would be nice to get something in stainless steel.....

I presume you remove them with the old double-nut switcheroo?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I buy a length of stainless threaded bar and cut my own.
You can replace the nuts with stainless as well and use copper grease on assembly to help next time.
The 2nut trick works well to remove. If you replace the studs and put copper grease on the threads be sparing as too much can act hydraulicly and crack the head.
It's probably cheaper to make your own studs and buy stainless nuts than using genuine parts.
Good luck:)

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
They likely corrode due to the heat of the exhaust and the dissimilar metals. The exhaust is stainless and the bolts are plain carbon steel, because of the different chemical compositions they will corrode pretty quick. Stainless steel galls very easily though so be very careful if you go that route, it may not be the best replacement for the studs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hoorah!
Tried the two nut trick to get the studs out and failed, so I gave them a scrub down and covered them in copper grease.
Used stainless steel nuts.

All seemed OK once it was all hooked up.

Just looking forward to seeing if the fuel filter change has helped the hesitancy at 3.5-5k rpm.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts