Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to swap out some pipes tomorrow, what is the probability that I can save the exhaust gaskets? I have some on order but God knows when they'll get here. Anything I can substitute with if things go wrong?

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
If you're talking about the thick mesh gaskets between the silencer and cat, i've taken pipes off dozens of times and always reused them. Plus when i was going back and fourth between the tors and stocks when i first got the bike (trying to decide which i liked best) i swapped the gaskets from one pipe to the other 4-5 times. The seal at that point in the pipe is IMO not a big deal. As long as it's not falling apart to the point theres no enough to allow clamping the pipe to the cat solidly. As long as they aren't so ragged so that is an issue, the only other issue might be a bit of extra noise. So go ahead and reuse them as many times as you want unless they are literally falling apart.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The gaskets should be good. Just dont use any kind of adheasive with them. Usually seals like that wont wear out till after several years.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got them done. They weren't like the ones I used on my Honda, these look like they'd last forever as long as you're careful with them.

Off to the state rally tomorrow!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a an emisions leaking problem between cat and headers, look like after I switch from straight pipes and then put cat back on again the gaskets are not sealing good now, there is a black stain right after the edge of the header and over the cat body on bothe sides, I wonder that now I have to buy new gaskets to correct the leaking problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts