Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just thinking the other day about the high level pipes on my S3. Not only does my jacket reek of exhaust after a run,but the skin on my back does too. I was just wondering if there's any health risk there what with there being benzene in petrol, etc. Or am I bonkers?

·
Registered
43 Posts
All bikers smell of motorbikes - that the fun of it. You never had a two stroke? Who needs perfume when you've had a good ride on a two stroke.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ethanol additives tend to add to the odor of exhaust. I cant remember exactly why but it has something to do with the hydroscopic nature of the ethanol introducing water into the fuel (really makes you want to use ethonal huh?). I read as long as you dont go above E-10 its not to bad.....but isn't the UK upping their percentage?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, it's an 06 with TORS cans and a TORS tune. I was at an occupational hygiene course this week and part of it was about organic solvent uptake through the skin. Benzene was mentioned plus the health hazards. Me, being a bit of a hypochrondiac, started thinking...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Expected risks I can handle (and enjoy). The unknown and unexpected ones are always a kick in the arse. Ask Steve McQueen!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Speaking of Ethenol, the recent issue of AMA's magazine has a blurb about Ethenol and how the biofuel industry is pushing for higher % (up to 20%, from the curent 10%).

Of course there is concern about what sort of impact (i.e. damage) this might have on motorcycle engines. Fortunately the EPA is on board, along with the Alliance for a Safe Alternative Fuels Environment (ALLSAFE).

Let's hope someone does a study of the effects of ethenol on gas engines, before pushing higher percentages.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Speaking of Ethenol, the recent issue of AMA's magazine has a blurb about Ethenol and how the biofuel industry is pushing for higher % (up to 20%, from the curent 10%).

Of course there is concern about what sort of impact (i.e. damage) this might have on motorcycle engines. Fortunately the EPA is on board, along with the Alliance for a Safe Alternative Fuels Environment (ALLSAFE).

Let's hope someone does a study of the effects of ethenol on gas engines, before pushing higher percentages.
Screw engine concerns. The increase in ethanol additives in gasoline is leading to higher prices for BEER. Its a travesty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well if you're concerned about the high level of the pipes why don't you replace them with an Arrow 3:1 lowboy zorst. On freezing cold days I really do miss those high cans. They made great hand warmers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts