Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a proper procedure for removing/replacing the exhaust system with the balance tube ? 72 tiger

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Hi ecos,

I don't think there is a proper procedure other than just loosen fasteners and remove.

I just did this on my 70 Bonnie and it was no easy task. No way was the balance pipe coming off without encouragement from my reciprocal saw. I'm glad mine has the screw in stubs because it took quite a bit of force to pull the pipes off the stubs. All this after a good soak with WD 40 and some heat. Hopefully, I'll get a good seal on the pipe without replacing the stubs. I think there is a silicon product that might help.

Henry

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
push-in pipes?

I assume you have push-in pipes and not spigots. I start all 3 pieces just barely together ( don't push the pipes all the way in). I gently tap the pipes in with a soft plastic hammer. I put a mark with a magic marker near the end of the pipe entering the head so I know how far in it has gone. It feels like the pipes bottom out and I don't force it. If they won't go in, I emery the ports out and try again. Do not beat on the pipe or it will dent. I then slide the cross-over sideways, looking thru the slots to leave no gaps and then tighten the clamps. (loc tite the clamp bolts). Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts