Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about done dealing with EPCO for my exhaust. It's been dragging out over 2 months now. The last contact I had with him was on 2/11. No returned emails, no returned phone calls.
So my question is would exhaust cans made for a Thruxton fit our pipes? D&D has some slip ons for the Thruxton I thought I could replace the stock cans with. Here's the link to D&D.
http://www.danddexhaust.com/content/2004-2014-triumph-thruxton-900-slip

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Measure your pipe diameter on your TBS, then either find out the diameter of the Thruxton pipes, or call D&D and ask them the diameter. You should be able to find out the Thruxton pipe diameter with a little internet/forum detective work.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm curious to know the pipe diameter of your TBS exhaust pipes as well. I bought a Sprint 3into2 header off eBay, before buying I was told the pipe diameter is 1.75". I'd like this information to compare the difference between the higher tuned Sports/Touring T3 motors versus what came on our bikes. None of my bikes have a stock exhaust so I can't measure.

I'm redoing the exhaust on my Adventurer as what is currently on it is a hacked up "custom" job by one of the previous owners with POS Emgo mufflers. The bike sounds like a washing machine during the draining of water cycle. :eek:

I was looking at 1.75" 18" long sized reverse cone stainless steel megaphones from Cone Engineering and the prices were very reasonable, $143.00 each. Yeah they're not chrome or polished but should be better quality than most of the stuff available as universal fits. Lossa engineering has the universal silencers are mos likely re-branded Cone Engineering products.

http://www.coneeng.com/motorcycle_components.html

http://www.coneeng.com/pdf/motorcycle/MC-finished-Mufflers.pdf

Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The pipe diameter on mine is 1.5in/38mm. If my research is correct this is the standard size of the modern Triumph pipes. The D&D slip on are pretty pricey. I saw the Lossa's, stainless at a great price point.
I just ran across these guys, Megaton. It's a UK can and here is sound clip. Oh my, listen to these bad boys. They may give the 3 into 3 D&D's a run for their money!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iduh6EOViws

Only thing is I'm not sure if they're stainless or not.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm not sure I want to know how much those UK cans cost.

I'm surprised to see that much of a difference between pipe diameters, a whole 1/4". That's quite significant for our motors.

I perfer stainless or aluminum over chrome on most things. You get a ding or scrape on something SS or Aly you can work it out, polish it and look good as new. You can't do that with chrome. :cool:

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Found those, pretty sure they're made by Emgo. Google Emgo megaton.

The ones I was thinking of are found on eBay. Here's a link

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271795781235?nav=SEARCH
Just thought I'd chime in here. I have the ones that you show in the Ebay link on my TBS and they are very well made and sound awesome, really throaty without being offensively loud. I emailed the guy selling them on his Ebay acct and he offered me a good deal, £399 inc postage to UK address. They are made by an engineer friend of his I believe who makes them on a small scale.

·
Registered
482 Posts
i got thruxton cans on my bike right now. more quiet than the stock (never heard stock on my bike though). not so restrictive as to affect the running of the bike. if anything, i have a bit more top end and the engine seems to be very happy to rev there.

the way i have them set up, they have an upswept look that i like.

sorry, i don't have one from the rear for some reason. they are about license plate height with the stock rear fender.

you have to remove and relocate the mounting tabs, but the rubber/steel hardware works perfectly.

i have a 19T front sprocket and i've got no complaints about the amount of available torque.

it's kinda nice being able to hear the cams scream at 6000 rpm, above that, the exhaust still roars, but wind noise is what dominates your hearing.

here are some more pictures of my exhaust mount setup:

the RHS mount had issues with the welds holding the mount. i had to fix it with some pipe strapping. this isn't the latest strap rig i have. the current and reigning champion consists of 3 layers of pipe wrap and has the old busted weld mount sandwiched between the sides:

PS: i have a corbin gunfighter saddle for a thruxton mounted on my bike too. i've been considering an oil pressure gauge kit for the modern class twins

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thruxton's can work a couple of ways

My TBird standard has run Thruxton's in a way to accommodate bags by keeping the upsweep a bit lower.

The header outlet was shortened limiting the rise of the stock setup.

The factory mount attaches to a 3" strap attached to the rear foot peg stud.

If you want more upsweep, you can keep more length of the stock header pipe.

All this being said, I too am waiting on my order from Epco. 😫
For some reason I'm keeping the faith.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I'm looking at the same option here (thruxton pipes on a tbird). I'm not sure what you mean by relocating the mounting tabs. Are you talking about the pipe bracket?
Thanks for all the pics!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Dand D's

Muttleyone: I've had a set D&D's reverse cone megaphones on the 01 Bonnie that I owned for about 5 years. They were a bit too loud for me, and I eventually replaced them with a pair from Bella Corsa that were not quite so loud. However, D&D's claim about horsepower and torque being the best was true. The chrome on them was outstanding, and really resulted in the best look of any Bonnie aftermarket silencers I've seen. The end caps are aluminum and polished and give you access for re-packing when the existing packing burns out. Compared to Epco's they are louder, and not as deep, but still a high quality accessory.
Jetting may need to be a step richer to compensate for the excellent air flow thru them.

I tried to contact Tom at Epco as well, and had no luck, so he's either too busy, or has closed up shop. tommyturbo2

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Tommy, When you say not as deep, are you saying the D&D's are not as deep sounding as the Epcos? How about compared to to the Lassos?

·
Registered
482 Posts
relocating the mounting tabs means cutting the welded on and chromed-over mounts off the silencers with a cutting wheel, aligning them on the bike with the silencers installed how you want them, then welding the tabs back onto the pipe to hold it in place.

it ain't pretty and to do it right is almost as much work as to encourage buying a proper set anyway.

i got my thruxton silencers for $40 though (came with the h-pipe headers too) and i haven't bothered to grind off the old welds, place new welds onto clean (chrome-free) steel, and re-chrome the whole thing to make it look cleaner.

i have shiny sides out on mine. jamanimal has his rotated "out" more, i wanted mine to shoot as straight back as possible, but i get a little bit of interference with my swingarm. or at least i did, until the cans got dented some to prevent striking.

that probably had something to do with the welds cracking on the LHS mount now that i think about it. you have to watch the alignment though, otherwise your pipes look all cock-eyed when looking at them from behind the bike.

i'm happy with my results. it's totally rideable and doesn't look strapped on at all. same for the seat after some fit adjustments and block-outs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the precision Cloud9, it's what I thought and does seem like a lot of work. Has anyone ever had issues with the stock silencer bolts at the tabs? Mine just broke. It seems like threads were welded in the silencer and they stood on the bolt so I'm not sure how to fix it... Probably going to try to weld it straight back to the plate but as said, it's not going to be the prettiest!

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
If you are talking about where the bracket bolts to the silencer, it is very common for the fixed nuts inside silencer to come adrift. When I bought my new silencers I tried to undo the bolt but I could feel that it was going to go so stopped and left the brackets in situ. Bought some new brackets for the new silencers instead so I can always swap them over if MOT make a fuss about noise.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts