Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, What I want to do is build a one off exhaust that is a low mount single, like the zard, but with a much shorter, fatter cone tucked into the recess under the rider peg, and in front of the rear tire. Now the obvious problem is that to do this, you would have to cut the header pipe off right behind the collector, thus eliminating the O2 sensor. I know the easiest thing to do would be to get a power commander, but I would rather go with a tuneboy. My question then, is does the tuneboy eliminate, or use the O2 sensor? :???:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I would assume if you eliminated the O2 sensor you'd get an engine malfunction light.

+1 on the tuneboy vs PC.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that, but I dont see an O2 sensor on the ZARD setup. Also, the can I want to use is a blue flame can called the mega flame, only seen one pic of it, and that was in a brit mag called Bike about a year ago, called blue flame about it and they said it was not out yet. It would be a sweet pipe for the speedy!!!

[ This message was edited by: StuckInKansas on 2006-12-11 02:47 ]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The O2 sensor is there on the Zard. It's just turned 90 degrees anti clockwise from upright when you look from the rear.
I talked to Blue Flame at the NEC exhibition a couple of years back and asked them if they intended making an underseat exhaust (similar to an MV Agusta on), which they were making at the time.
They were non committal. I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really like the underseat style, I really want to cram the can in under the right footpeg. If you look, I think there is enough room there if you cut the header right behind the collector, I just don't know whether or not I can move the O2 sensor, or if I just have to delete it and be forced into a power commander.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
As I said if you take out the O2 sensor, PC or no PC you're gonna get a malfunction light.
Make whatever style of can you'd like. All you have to do is get a ring made, threaded to accept the sensor, and welded anywhere between where the three downpipes merge and the can.
Keep it simple and weld the ring such that you don't have to cut and splice the sensor wire.
Also keep in mind the possibility of fitting a centre stand in the future. Apparently, you can't fit the SW-Motec centre stand if you fit a Zard because of the sensor's different position.

Re the underseat exhaust it was just an option I was looking at.
I'd just seen the bike at the show and the rear end looked kinda funny, unlike the rest of the bike.
I really like the MV organ pipes and thought that three outlets poking out from under the seat would look the dog's nads.
With hindsight a Zard (or any other stubby for that matter) and an underseat cleanup looks as good as if not better.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
triple mv style tips would be the bollocks. but thanks for the good news, now I know that I can go with tuneboy, because I have to keep the sensor anyway. THANKS!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Stuck,
A couple of things.....
First, you've got to check out these guys if your going to build your own pipes. They sell SS tubing in seperate bend angles and diameters or in kit form. They also sell the threaded fitting for the O2 sensor. They call them 'bungs'. Also, some choices for collectors too. Surf their site a little and you'll find them. They were hard to find when I wanted a source for header kits.

http://store.racing-solutions.org/

The other..... I don't think your idea of mounting the can under the foot peg is going to give you enough ground clearance. I say this because I have scrape marks on my collector 'and' on the clamp on the end of the collector. And that's from street riding not the track. I probably hit a bump mid corner to do it, but still it happened. So there's less clearance than you think under there. That's probably why the other mfg's. mount their pipe back and little 'up'.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 3forme, I had read a post of yours already with that site and checked it out. I was wondering if cornering clearance was an issue with what I want to do, but my bike has been in the shop for like a month and I havent had anything to measure. I appreciate your help. :brk:

·
Registered
169 Posts
On 2006-12-11 15:52, Avi8or wrote:
As I said if you take out the O2 sensor, PC or no PC you're gonna get a malfunction light.
Make whatever style of can you'd like. All you have to do is get a ring made, threaded to accept the sensor, and welded anywhere between where the three downpipes merge and the can.
Keep it simple and weld the ring such that you don't have to cut and splice the sensor wire.
Also keep in mind the possibility of fitting a centre stand in the future. Apparently, you can't fit the SW-Motec centre stand if you fit a Zard because of the sensor's different position.

Re the underseat exhaust it was just an option I was looking at.
I'd just seen the bike at the show and the rear end looked kinda funny, unlike the rest of the bike.
I really like the MV organ pipes and thought that three outlets poking out from under the seat would look the dog's nads.
With hindsight a Zard (or any other stubby for that matter) and an underseat cleanup looks as good as if not better.
not true. the pc comes with a o2 simulator that you plug in to replace the sensor. you will not get a malfunction light

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Brian, I thought I remembered something to that effect. Now I just need to figure out if it will all fit nicely, not drag etc. If this setup works I promise it will be the best pipe I could have, and I will keep you all posted...... :lgh:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yo Kansas, I just completed doing what your talking about. I relocated my O2 sensor but I'm still getting a engine light.

I will post a couple pics when I get back into town.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Beat, that'd be sweet. Bye the way, I checked out your myspace, and I dig the beats. No smoke up your a$$ either, thats good stuff, mellow....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey Kansas,
Take off your O2 sensor and take it to a hardware store or someplace that has metric bolts/nuts (I found one at a new holland tractor dealer!). Get the nut welded somewhere on the header pipe, drill out the pipe in the center of the nut and screw in the sensor. That's what I did on my custom exhaust, anyway.
Works great. Good luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks aura, I already have a bung. That is exactly what I would do if I didn't already have one though. Just needs to be stainless!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
not true. the pc comes with a o2 simulator that you plug in to replace the sensor. you will not get a malfunction light
Sorry guys I stand corrected. The idea is to 'fool' the ECU that the O2 sensor is still there.
Maybe you could purchase just the simulator from PC and eliminate the need to fit the sensor somewhere on the pipe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts