Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to change my exhaust from the stock, side mounted can to an underseat ehaust, and don't want to spend many $'s. I can get a '06 underseat exhaust, does anyone know what to expect trying to modify to fit?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hi Tony,

If you haven't please read the AUP and newbie stickies at the top.You got past DaveM:p.

Anyhow on your question I doubt there is a low buck way to do this.
Anything can be made to work it just depends on how deep ones pockets are. Don't quote me but to modify a current underseat system to a pre 2005 might be on the futile side.
The best system would be I'm thinking from Peter Sorrel at Wolf But I think those are special order now and not inexpensive.

Someone else might have another idea.

IMO though getting a can if you are after sound, tires and going through your suspension plus other easy performance enhancing mods you get a better ROI.

Don

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome Floridacars:)

Donski you just beat me to it on the noobs please read the forum sticky thing again!:smackglass:

Don is spot on as far as I am aware only the Wolf system does what you want.

You can PM Peter Sorrel as he is and advertiser here and also is a member.

Login name = wolf.

cheers,
DaveM:Wave:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The can from the 05's + is way to big for the 04 - Sprints. THe O5's have no underseat storage and the muffler tucks up into there. You could probably modify something after market but you would be custom bending pipes and creating mounts.

Welcome btw.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Why?

Have a look at a 1050ST and you'll notice how much higher the pillion seat is than on a 955. That's to make room for the huge muffler in there. Then you may notice how the whole mudguard and taillight assembly is lower than the 955, again to make room for the muffler. In order to cram the stock 1050ST muffler in there you are going to have to do a lot of custom fabbing to make space, and it would be pretty difficult to make it look clean. If you have those skills then I salute you.
I have to ask, why you would want to do such a thing? The newer muffler sure doesn't flow any better than the 955 item so there's no power to be had. It certainly isn't any lighter, especially when you add the weight of the piping to reach up there. It doesn't sound any better. The stock 955 muffler doesn't seem to limit ground clearance to any significant degree either. I haven't heard anyone complain about dragging it on the ground. So why? Just for the looks?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Yeah I agree with kludge.

If it were me I would work on making a nice little gp style system. That would be way less work and give you much more power gains then all the mucking around with a 1050 system.

That being said I would think that with a bit of work you could sling a set of IXILs off a 1050 under the seat.

Check out these guys systems for the S3. I would think you could make something like this work.

http://www.chainreactionmoto.com/products.php

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info

Thanks to all who sent info, I do have the ability to do some minor, and some major modifications. I am looking for a cleaner look to my Sprint. The first thing I did was to remove almost all of the stock rear plate frame, turn signal mounts, rear fender, etc. I cut the fender off at the bottom of the fiberglass tail section, mounted the tag just under the tail light (Florida now has a $1,000.00 fine for an "improperly" mounted tag). I moved the stock turn signals up and inward, again just under the fiberglass.

I am willing to lose the tray under the seat, and fabrication of brackets is not a problem. I am searching for a free flow underseat can, but if I configure for a stock can, the new can is just a replacement.

I have also considered a GP style system, but it would interfere with the belly pan, and I like that look too. I still am leaning toward the underseat.

I am building a 1977 Bonneville, which will have clip on's and a set of TT600 rearsets, maybe the underseat will go on that bike. I have toyed with the idea of using the Hurricane front tank/body work, but melding it into a more modern rear, such as the tail from the 2000 sprint. Possibly a later, deeper tail, and underseat.

Again, thanks.

P.S. to DaveM, I somewhat oobject to the term "newbie" since I have more than 40 years road riding experience on Triumph motorcycles, as well as MANY other brands. I now own 12 motorcycles, including 2 modern Triumphs, and 4 '77 and '78 Bonnevilles. Also 2 Harleys, a Ninja, BMW touring, and a handful of dirt bikes (not counted in the 12 streetbikes). Maybe a term like "fresh face" would be less upsetting.

I do enjoy the forums, and the other members seem to be like minded, intelligent riders. I think we should "capture" Honda's old advertising slogan, You meet the nicest people on a Triumph

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The Term "Newbie" refers to your time on the forum and not to your past riding experience. You are "new" to this forum and therfore a Newbie. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Newbie news

Calliway,

I realize the background and meaning of the term, just don't like it, I also know that my posting/participating will soon remove this dsignation. When I was just a lad, and dinosaurs roamed the earth, I raced SCCA. In those days a new driver, until he had finished a certain number of races, was required to have an orange ball surrounding his number to designate to other drivers that he was an inexperienced driver. I also objected to this until I did two complete spins in the second turn of my first race. Not another word from me on the orange ball.

Now teaching two teenagers to drive, I wish we could have the orange ball on their cars. To be honest, there are many drivers who have a license who also need the orange ball, but I guess we do have that "orange ball", it's a minivan, with 6 screaming kids, 4 dvd players, and Mom on the cell phone. And in Florida, it's the little blue haired driver with 4 friends, in no particular hurry, and apparantly no turn signals or mirrors.

I'll be a good "newbie" and do my time, and prove myself, look forward to many more posts. Dissention is the food of discussion, discussion is the basis for understanding, understanding is the key to awareness.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Floridacars.

Understood but really you are only a newbie until you have read what Dave or Don ask you to read. The newbie term drops after your 2nd or 3rd post. :)

But, point taken and I am glad you are posting. We do get a lot of noobs who drop a question then we never hear from again and in the end this a great community and you'll get back what you give.

So since you are on your 3rd or 4th post you have hearby shed the term newbie. :)

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Floridacars,
Calli has explained it nicely thanks Calliway:).

You need to be not so sensitive my friend, there are many very experienced older riders here who have owned many machines, self included. We were all newbies when we joined this forum.

I promise not to call you a newbie again if it is so upsetting for you...................Howzat!:D

I look forward to your posts and you are right you meet nice people on Triumphs.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Good link to the Pipeline post Dave, thanks. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sensitive

Dave, Calli and other "old timers", don't get me wrong, I'm not sensitive. It's ironic, since here I am one of those who has the seat atop the mountain, whose advise is sought by others. I am far too old, experienced and realistic to be sensitive about a name. I have enjoyed the position of guru for many years, as you will come to find out as we progress together, along this trail of discovery.

I feel I am surrounded by other wizened old scholars, who are making themselves available to those who are seeking the way of enlightenment. Of course all of the members here, not just those with thousands of posts are truly enlightened, we ride the best motorcycles on earth.

Farewell, brothers, I believe we have beaten this horse (my exhaust dilemma) to death, on to other threads, there are greater questions to be answered. (I think I'm going to like it here)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Wait...... I am only 32 and am a bit offended by being called an "old timer" and i have been here less then I year! :biglaugh: :FunnyFace:

Well with all your experience riding I am looking forward to your posts as I will more then likely learn something.

Again, Welcome Floridacars!

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
It's OK Calli, you hold Floridacars and I'll whack him with my cane. :)

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I am sure that a group of us "old timers" could encircle you and do some real damage your your bearings and tennis balls..:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Dave

Hey guys, it was DaveM who referred to the older riders in this forum, and I checked with my 15 and 16 year old sons, 32 is an old timer.
I was referring to the number of posts, in the thousands. Calli told me I was just a newbie because I had only a few posts, seems "age" is determined by posts, so where does that put Dave with 7k+ posts.

Besides, I would rather be an "old timer" than the alternative

http://www.triumphrat.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=10124&stc=1&d=1226634473

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Floridacars.

Understood but really you are only a newbie until you have read what Dave or Don ask you to read.

You sure about that, Cal? I believe some of us came aboard pre-qualified, and avoided the "noob" designator.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts