Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if you guys can be of assistance, again, looking to try and get the diameters of the link pipe end of downpipes from a few 'tonas 2002 onwards.

I'll tell you why...

I just took delivery of a Two Brothers M2 high mount exhaust but unfortunately the link pipe doesnt fit.

The guy i bought it off had the same trouble but believed that was because his was a late 06 'tona and apparently had a slightly wider downpipe.

Now that it doesnt fit my '05 either i am wondering whether the issue is with the bikes or the link pipe, hence the measurements.

So if anyone has a 2002+ bike and a set of digital calipers can they measure either inside or outside diameters and post here?

My pipe has an outer diameter of 44mm.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, realised last night after i posted i had typo'd 44 instead of 54.

I'll get onto Two Brothers and see what they can do, unfortunately the guy i bought it off has tried to 'make' it fit by extending the cutouts, so they wont swap it.

Jamie.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The official word from Two Brothers is that the internal diameter of the highmount S pipe is, and should be, 53.4mm.

Which obviously goes against the experience of myself, the guy I bought it from and another exhaust manufacturer, which is nice.

Their suggestion is that I take the link pipe to a machine shop/fabricator and they will be able to 'stretch' out the extra .6mm I need.

The guy I bought it from has offered me a refund, if I pay return postage. So I might just go down that route and look for a high mount elsewhere.

Jamie.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Doh! Bit strange that they don't know the correct size...

You may be able to get it opened up but as it's likely slotted for the clamp to close down on you need to be careful as the slots can tear when expanded...

You can always get another link pipe (we have them that should fit if the inlet on the 2Bros is 50.8mm) or just a new can as you say. if you go that route take a look at www.trident-exhausts.com ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately Two Bros use their own system to connect the end cans to link pipes that allows them to reuse the same end cans for lots of models and only have to swap out (incorrectly sized) link pipes.

I might end up coming your way but i had set myself a strict budget with this NIB system scrapping in at £175.

Thanks for all the help anyways.

Jamie.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Doh! Bit strange that they don't know the correct size...

You may be able to get it opened up but as it's likely slotted for the clamp to close down on you need to be careful as the slots can tear when expanded...;)
If it isn't slotted, stretching it .6mm is super-doable. Just take it (and the collector, to check for fit) down to your favorite local auto muffler shop, and it'll take only a minute to stretch it out for a perfect fit... That is, if they have the big, nice machine for doing this.

I've had this done before for a different bike, and the guy didn't even charge me (but I tipped him a $20 for being cool and doing it on the spot... Two happy people!)

As long as they're nice (and not already really busy) I'd go this route.

If slotted, I'd try to line-up a plan "B" ahead of time just in case, and then try to stretch it anyway---- while fully expecting the worst! But who knows?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Theres a company called C + C Exhausts just around the corner from me that have agreed to look at this for me tomorrow morning, they reckon 0.6mm should be a doddle.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Jamie.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No joy.

The exhaust guy was able to widen the link pipe enough to allow it to fit past the cuts the previous owner put in but when you fit it that far the entire exhaust is out of alignment.

Only options i can see are to get the end cut off and a new one welded on, hoping to mirror Two Bros spec, or to perhaps use some kind of sleeve to cover the holes made by the previous owner.

Either way i have lost the appetite to try and get this exhaust to fit so am going to send it back and get my money back.

Its a pity as the Two Bros exhaust looks fantastic, but i get the feeling i am just throwing good money after bad trying to work around the damage the last guy made trying to get the link pipe to fit.

Jamie.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can always get another link pipe (we have them that should fit if the inlet on the 2Bros is 50.8mm) or just a new can as you say. if you go that route take a look at www.trident-exhausts.com ;)

Sorry to hi-jack but I'm in a similar boat. I bought a "Quill Evo 2" can off of eBay that was missing the link pipe I planned to use on my 2005 Tiger. Big mistake. I can't track anyone down that will bend one in stainless. They have the mandrel bender required but say it's not worth the time to set it up for a one-off.

It has a 2.25" (or 57mm?) slip-on as seen here. Quill wants $185 shipped to get thiers here from the UK. Do I have any alternatives? Will another manufacturs link pipe work in it's place?

My only other alternative is a local exhaust shop that says the can weld one together. I have no idea how this will look or perform.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
We can make one up for you to fit the Quill

If you let me know the exact inside dimension of the can we can flare out the normal link pipes we have to fit that size

The stainless Tiger links we have are $72 then allow about $20 for making it to size and $30 to ship to the US

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks!

I'm waiting to hear back the size now, but I've been having problems getting responses from Quill via email.

How are you able to ship it so much cheaper? They wanted 45GBP to ship here!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Only options i can see are to get the end cut off and a new one welded on, hoping to mirror Two Bros spec, or to perhaps use some kind of sleeve to cover the holes made by the previous owner.

Jamie.
Did the PO slot the pipe farther or drill some sort of hole? Either way any decent welding shop with a TIG setup should be able to close either in a few minutes. I would suggest having the header and link pipe slipped together just in case the link shrinks during the welding.

I know a fab shop here in Orlando that would take care of that during lunch time for a tip.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Great!

I have yet to receive a response from Quill via email on the size of the inlet on the can. They are either not receiving my messages, or I'm not receiving theirs. I've checked every spam filter I have from the ISP to Outlook. I had a guy on the forum from the UK call them for me last week, which is where I got price quote from.

I'll just have to give them a call tomorrow if I can get through. I've had a hard time getting the call to complete.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did the PO slot the pipe farther
Yeah, he extended it by about 1 or 2 cm, i could have had the local exhaust place cut the end off and weld a new one or maybe build a sleeve for it, but i just couldnt be bothered with any more hassle so sent it back.

I recently found out the guy has sold it on eBay without mentioning the damage he has done, so some poor sod is about to pickup the headache.

Jamie.

·
Registered
351 Posts
EvilBetty - as we ship about 20 parcels each day to the US we get huge discounts - we can ship a complete silencer for that price - a link pipe is very light!
Official answer from Quill:

Depending on how old the exhaust is 54mm I'd. Hope that helped.
Regards
Chris
Quill uk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Absolutely

Is there anything you need to make sure the factory panniers will fit with it mounted?

Let me know what you need from me to go ahead.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It will sit in the stock location so the standard panniers will be no problem

if you want to go ahead just place an order through the web site - I process them all manually so can sort out what you need at the price agreed - just use the form to send us your details securely

1 - 20 of 31 Posts