Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking advice re my headers which are showing signs of pitting and corrosion on the chrome. Does anyone know if Triumph still have new ones (Australia based) or if there is a way to Re-chrome successfully. I’ve been looking online for good condition used ones, but they are few and far between. Does anyone know if the headers from an LT Commander would fit as they appear similar?

·
Registered
2010 Tbird 1600 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
531 Posts
Have you ever used a metal polish? If not you might be surprised how much chrome can be restored even when you think it's bad...I like this stuff.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have looked at converting my T-Bird to Commander/LT exhaust (just LT from here for brevity).
The biggest change that I see is that the LT has dual cats under the engine and I there is an exhaust valve on the left side extension pipe. The exhaust/passenger peg brackets have different part numbers but the LT doesn't need the mounting provisions for the monolithic cat. The parts drawings are from different angles so it is difficult to tell of the length and angles of the brackets is the same or not. The angles of the extension pipes and their positioning relative to the frame look to be about the same for the various models. OEM parts are relatively inexpensive on ebay.

I have also seen at least one post claiming that some aftermarket catback LT pipes will fit the T-Bird with a little fiddling.

I suspect that the cat change was likely to move them closer to the exhaust ports for faster light off. Also because they are integral to the headers, it makes it really difficult to tamper with the system by removing the cats.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
The LT/Commander mufflers will not fit directly to the base model or Storm. I used to make a kit to adapt them, but no more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts